Feeds

back to article Apple Magic Mouse

For a company that pioneered the widespread use of the mouse as a computer controller, Apple has a surprisingly bad record at making good ones, particularly since the return of Steve Jobs and, with him, industrial design as the prime driver of product creation. Apple Magic Mouse Magic Mouse: Apple gets it right at last? Past …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

N2
Bronze badge

Its one area

Where Apple fall flat on their faces IMO & despite trying, I just cant make an Apple mouse work for me.

M$, you may be shite at software but your rodents are better suited to me.

Thumb Up

I got one of these ...

They're actually great and it works with Ubuntu as well. Nice! Bit pricey and all but it does work rather well. Batteries last ages (still lasting on one charge) as well even if you go days without switching it off.

I used to be a Microsoft Mouse fan (yes, they are good) but for once this does it better.

Jobs Horns

WTF :-/

Good grief, there are reasons everybody else makes mice that fit into your hand, it's called comfort and RSI!

I've scrapped better contoured dog shit off my shoe.

Pint

sigh sigh

looks like yet another example of Jobs obsession with the triumph of form over function

FAIL

re: use of fingers vs forearms

Sure, you'll only get the proper finesse by using a mouse from the wrist, with delicate movements of the fingers. But that's also a one-way ticket to carpal tunnel.

Do yourself a favour, use your entire forearm to move the mouse. It may not be pretty, but big body movements beat small ones for RSI every time.

Adjust the mouse pointer sensitivity to deal with this and away you go...

Multi-touch

I would buy one of these if it had scale and rotate axes. It looks nice, but if you're going to pay £55 for a mouse it had better have plenty of wheels and buttons.

FAIL

@Joe Ragosta

"those of you who haven't tried it (which is probably 99% of the posters) should just shut up."

So you're banning us from discussing the shortcomings of an idea unless we've tried it for ourselves? Why can't we criticise the obvious failings in this product - namely, it's a triumph of style over substance, as is pretty much always the case with Apple products.

For example, I can compare the Magic Mouse (as described in Apple's to my own mouse of choice, the Logitech MX Revolution (example pics here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Revolution-Wireless-Laser-Mouse/dp/B000JMJYBU).

1) Price: The MXR is available at about the same price as the Magic Mouse (about £50) so no real issues here.

2) Buttons. As much as Apple want to deny it, BUTTONS ARE USEFUL. The MXR lets you map its buttons to whatever function you like. For example, if I want to see all my windows in Win7, I just press the little button above the scrollwheel and then I can scroll through them. Pretend that it's easier to squidge your fingers in some 'gesture' to achieve the same thing if you like, but you'll be the one who ends up with RSI.

3) Feedback. When it comes to scrolling, it is sometimes useful to get felt feedback from a ratcheted scrollwheel. There's no point in arguing about it - it just is. Other times, you might want to scroll freely. The MXR allows both, the Magic Mouse doesn't. With Apple, as always, you get no choice.

4) "Learning". Most of us don't want to have to "learn" how to use an Apple mouse - we already know how to use a mouse, and we just want one that meets our needs. Many people gently rest their fingers on the mouse in between clicks. That works fine when the mouse has buttons, but with the Magic Mouse you're going to need to "unlearn" that habit unless you want a load of false-positive clicks... Call me a cynic, but that's not my definition of "just works".

Do I need to use a Magic Mouse to know these things? No. I can read Apple's product info (http://www.apple.com/uk/magicmouse/), and that is sufficient to gather the necessary information on the Magic Mouse.

WTF?

Wrist vs forearm

It's not either/or. For large movements you take the heel of the hand off the table and move the whole arm, for small and delicate movements you use the wrist. Oh and the Mighty Mouse is a 5 button mouse. On mine pressing the (working) trackball calls up the appswitcher.

As for why a trackball and not a scroll wheel, well Duh! 'cause I can scroll sideways as well as diagonal with some apps. Why is that so hard to understand?

Finally I have an RSI type problem (not carpal tunnel) and the hockey puck was just fine for me wrist wise. I too flicked it about with my fingers. It is not only possible, it is downright sensible. As for mice that 'fit your hand' it might fit your hand but mine are different to yours. Also if you use your fingers rather than your whole arm all the time you don't want a mouse to fit your hand.

It seems that Apple understand that mouse use is a dynamic process and straitjacketing users into one mode over all others is bound to fail.

Paris Hilton

comfort

That looks painful, at least for someone like me with problems after a seriously broken wrist a few years ago. I'll stick to my Evoluent vertical mouse which I find significantly more comfortable than any normal or traditional ergonomic mice/mouses.

paris: because she's another way to exercise one's fingers in comfort.

Grenade

Buttons...

So they've removed the very handle wheel-click, which even the mighty mouse had, and it still can't do proper right-clicks (i.e. discrete ones that you can do at the same time as left-clicks)?

Riiight… So yes, the best Mac mouse is still an MS mouse then.

Kensington SlimBlade Scrollball Bluetooth Mouse

I use and recommend the Kensington SlimBlade Scrollball Bluetooth Mouse. It has a big ball and can also double as a trackball. It feels nice, scrolls well and the two AA batteries last a long time. All my Might Mice gave up although the USB ones lasted a lot longer than the Bluetooth ones.

This new Apple mouse heralds the end of mechanical parts and so will hopefully last a lot lot longer than any of its forerunners.

Gates Horns

Not for me

Cue the inevitable tidal wave of Anti-Apple-tards offering abuse rather than anything constructive. Do your parents know you're out and about on the internet without supervision? I like the ones deriding this mouse based on sight alone; almost as stupid as buying it based on sight alone, eh?

Despite claims that the "Macturds will lap this one up," it looks too awkward for my liking. Apple don't seem to be able to create a decent mouse - the Mighty Mouse was poorly constructed and very difficult to use, I replaced it with a nice, heavy Logitech MX900.

That's right, Anti-Apple-tards, I use a non-Apple mouse - *now* will you pipe down?

Paris Hilton

Might be missing the point

Part of the genius of the iPhone/iPod Touch is that you can use software to update the interface, and therefore you aren't limited mechanically to implement a new idea. Need another button? No problem, program for it. Conventionally, you are SOL if you bought a device with fewer buttons.

At some point, though, the button madness has to stop. It's like those razors with five blades; do you really get that some sort of performance enhancement after two? Three maybe, but five? Unless you are a professional competitive shaver, of course.

Grenade

more buttons!

Razer Naga :

Button 1 - click

Button 2 - right click

Button 3 - alt+tab

Button 17 - Run virus scan

Who needs who needs multi touch.

WTF?

63 comments on a mouse?

OK, 64 now...

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

@ Tony Smith

OSX does indeed support more than 2 mouse buttons. I use Microsoft four-buttons-plus-crappy-scrollwheel mice with our machines because they're the best for properly mapping Exposé functions. SO depressing that you can't use Exposé properly with an Apple mouse...

I also hate wireless mice because they're too heavy (ie they have too much inertia) - a mouse should be as accurate, small and light as possible.

A mobile phone with camera

I have an HTC touch pro 2. It has a camera on one side and a touch sensitive screen on the other. Surely one of you clever programmers can turn it into a Magic Mouse? Camera senses motion while face down (hmm, might need some more illumination) - heck - it could even detect rotational motion. And, the touch screen serves as mouse button and swiping surface. Interacting beautifully with PC using bluetooth.

And it's also a mobile phone, and a storage device. And a computer.

Just a thought.

Thumb Up

It's a winner for me

The ergonomics of the new mouse are going to be different depending on the size of your hand. I finally got to play with a Magic Mouse yesterday. I have quite a large hand (well, OK actually I have two large hands - octave plus two notes on a piano) and small mice give me RSI because I have to scrunch my hand up to work the buttons. The Microsoft 'basic optical mouse' shape is a perfect fit for me whereas Dell mice and most of the cheep and cheerful ones are too small.

I have a Mighty Mouse and again its just the right size. When I saw the Magic Mouse I was concerned that it would be a problem but it isn't. Other than they're not shipping until Sunday at the earliest.

Anyway it made me appreciate one reason it is so much flatter. If you have a 'normal' mouse shape then you will have to arch your hand unnaturally to perform the scrolling gesture, and this will cause RSI. Try it on your current mouse and you'll see what I mean. Then try it with your hand flat on the desk.

I know the ergonomics won't suit everybody but I do believe that Apple has got it right for the majority of people; and incidentally I had no problem with the finger swipe gesture. The trick is not to try too hard, and to play with the sensitivity settings so that you are making a gesture that you find comfortable and that the driver software can interpret as a swipe...

Silver badge

Best mouse ever

Logitech MX700.

* Wireless.

* Optical

* Takes two AA batteries..

* ..which can be rechargeable..

* ..and comes with its own docking cradle with built in charger..

* ..but if you forget then not to worry - a single charge will last several days.

* It's a nice large chunky size.

I've owned three since they came out several years ago. I had one fail last year and the charging cradles sometimes don't make contact and need a wipe but that's all.

@AndrueC

@AndrueC

"Best mouse ever [...] Logitech MX700."

I have one of these (and have used it for about 6 years now without any problem). I can see your point (it is a good mouse). But I can guarantee that my other mouse (a Logitech MXRevolution) is superior in just about every way. Apart from the AA batteries, it has all the features you describe above and some cool extra buttons and and a much better scroll wheel. It's also much more comfortable to hold.

----------

@Gulfie

Interesting point on the RSI thing. I've never found scrolling ona normal mouse to be at all uncomfortable, but I guess for some people it might be...

Jobs Halo

I've got mine...

All this talk of ergonomics and 'fitting in your hand' is utter claptrap. It is not meant to fit in your hand. It is not hand-shaped. It is meant to fit on your mouse mat, which it does perfectly. You slide it around your mouse mat with a thumb and finger, there is no need to grip it or surround it with a hand. Your forefinger and middle finger can lie on top in a natural position or you can let go completely. Stroking front to back scrolls down a web page and stroking back to front scrolls up. If you are on a wide page, you can scroll from side to side. A two finger swipe left is the same as the back button in your browser and swiping right gives the effect of the next page button. There is no visible light from the bottom apart from a tiny 'ON' led. It is much better for pixel accurate editing in Photoshop than any other mouse I've used. It seems to work on any surface including my shiny white desktop and trouser leg but a spongy mouse mat makes a more comfortable rest for the ball of the hand.

Silver badge
FAIL

Oh come on, it's been 35 years

We are still getting all moist between the legs over a slightly different shape mouse?

We've been using the wretched things for around 35 years - the same time difference as between the Wright brothers and the Spitfire. The damn things should be obsolete by now, like keyboards.

Where are the brain implants that let me type at 560wpm?, the data gloves or triangulation cameras that interpret my finger movements, or the flicks of my eyes?

Where is the matt black hemisphere that we can think at?

It's a joystick on wheels, (perhaps wthout the wheels) not a major technological breakthrough.

last year VW, having fitted 'start' buttons to some cars instead of an extra position on the key, started to talk about 'transferring the technology' to their other marques. My Morris Minor had a 'start' button, and that was built in 1955. Same with computer rodents. For glod's sake, lads, invent something new instead of obsesively tiddling about with what we have and then squealing like some airhead on 'America's next top muddle' about how it looks.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.