back to article Steve Ballmer's Windows 7 dance party

October 22 has arrived, which means Microsoft can stop defending Windows Vista and start pretending it never happened. Eyes have now turned to Windows 7, while Windows Vista joins Microsoft Bob and Windows Me in the annals of underachievers past. Well, except for all those people who are still stuck with the thing. To celebrate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

WTF?

Bloat...

"... importing photos from a digital camera, pointing out that it displays an image of the actual model of camera you’ve connected to the system"

Why, why, why? Does it matter a flying fuck what the icon is. I KNOW what my camera looks like - I plugged the sodding thing in didn't I? I don't need a little picture of the exact model to remind me.

On Gnome I just get a generic camera icon on my desktop when I plug it in (without needing any drivers) and the icon has the make and model of the camera listed as text, which is handy because I have had more than one camera plugged in at once before, and when I turn the camera off its automatically removed.

Why does Windows need to do any more than that? Oh I guess some geek in Redmond though it would be "cool". Actually I think a lot of the bits of Windows probably come from that "Hey wouldn't it be cool if..." mind set, and no-one had the sense the slap them round the head and say NO!

Linux

Review

the article was simply a review of the launch party, a critical look at the PR happy, cheesy stunts that companies put on. I didn't think it was YAIDLIW7

All I can say is...

...buy shares in monitor cleaning products with all this touch screen teccy...

FAIL

# of countries

"But Steve Ballmer was very proud of the fact that so many people have already used Windows 7, citing - repeatedly - that the beta had more than eight million testers in more than 200 countries."

There are less than 200 countries on this particular planet (195).

Source: http://geography.about.com/cs/countries/a/numbercountries.htm

Silver badge
Stop

NO!!!!

Not Kylie! God I hate that smug little tyke!

Clip round the earole for being so damn clever, then off to your room with no tea, think about all the grown-ups you've embarrassed! I'M A PC nonsense indeed, young lady! Away with you!

Silver badge

More snarky articles please

Half the point of reading the Register is that the articles are not all rehashed press releases carefully worded to avoid annoying the advertisers. Next week, the wailing Microsofties can enjoy the Register's sarcasm applied to the launch of Karmic Koala.

Camera Icons

Agree with comments here, the camera icon is pointless. Are camera manufacturers now expected to bundle icons for each model along with drivers? How is an icon more obvious than the words "Nikon D300" ?

More here ..

http://technologizer.com/2009/10/22/windows-7-device-stage-ready-set-no-go/

Coat

@number of countries

I think that the number 200 includes Never Never Land, Cloud-Cuckoo Land and La-La-Land. And he probably used Excel on an old Pentium to compute the number anyway. :-)

Mine's the one with the slide rule in the pocket.

Terminator

Goodnight Steve Ballmer

I'm looking forward to upgrading Windows 7, just to fix the crap that is Vista. I don't care about new features - I don't want or need any. I was happy with Photoshop 5.5 too. Give me trustworthy tools and a clear space to work in.

I do believe Ballmer is a spoon. Microsoft seriously need a new front man, someone not only good on stage, but a leader who can inject some character, charisma and credibility into their products and culture; something MS has always lacked.

The days of dry business have passed. The 21st century is much more demanding, and consumers have high expectations - and as long as Microsoft allows Apple to set the bar, Microsoft will wither.

FAIL

Wakes in seconds...

Hello Wintards, the 1980's are calling. Windows is quite possibly the only OS that hasn't been able to do this in all the time since then. Yay, only 20+ years later... Good grief.

FAIL

8 million eh?

"the beta had more than eight million testers in more than 200 countries"...

so we'll know who to blame when we get the first first catastrophic worm/virus/trojan then..

@The Reg losing quality!

"Lately I see unwarranted criticism of anything MS on the reg"

it is not unwanted MS have done a lot to warnet it like the article said the top 2 new and impresive features shown on there launch party where a changing icon and a downloadable-seprate-form the-os program not realy a good show from there own launch party

Gates Halo

RE: How big is program files, and windows folders?

AC, you may want to Google "Superfetch" (or Bing it, if you hate yourself). You may be surprised to find that Windows 7 (and, indeed, Vista) already does something very similar.

Thumb Up

My favourite para from a Reg article for a while...

"Sadly, Ballmer was a lot less, um, energetic we usually find him at such public appearances. He didn’t yell. He didn’t turn red. He didn’t even stomp on an iPhone. He seemed very, believe it or not, scripted."

FAIL

FAIL

The only thing FAIL is this article . . Are you serious?

(assuming the author is a MAC person)

"Then a new message became clear: If you want the full Windows 7 experience, be prepared to drop more cash on new hardware and gadgets. Just what people want in a time of economic instability"

I take it Apple are so clever they make an OS's that makes use of Hardware that isn't even even there!

I am neither Apple, Windows or Linux. I am all three. I just wanted to read an article I was interested in. Maybe I should of gone to PC Word?

re:spanning

"The Vista/7 graphics model does not accomodate multi-monitor systems in spanning mode"

oh god, what a crisis. it wouldn't be so bad if spanning mode was crap...

oh wait, it is.

spanning is a good way to make the "maximise" button useless, and to get a great big eyeful of bezel wherever the program you want to use thinks the most important stuff should go. It also assumes compatible geometry.

independant monitors should be handled independantly, it makes more sense for both apps (large edit window, palettes on the other) and games (main window, subsidiary information on the second like wic)

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Actually that's not all

I do love your opening sentence.

Bronze badge
Dead Vulture

Sex *AND* the city

That is all.

Paris Hilton

Windows 6.1

68 comments and I can't believe no one has mentioned one obvious thing

WINDOWS 7 IS ACTALLY WINDOWS 6.1

Type in VER if you don't believe me.

Total fail.

WTF?

@people

@Geoffrey W: Thanks, I'll check it out.

@PReDiToR : You owe me a keyboard =D

@General "the reg is hopelessly negative" people:

Marketing BS like this makes me want to fucking puke. Microsoft is being ridiculously optimistic. The Register is perfectly justified being NEGATIVE IN RESPONSE. We come here for tech details (and humor), not FUD, and this article did a great job cutting through the FUD, and revealing the... oh wait, there was nothing to reveal. Thus the rant.

So please complainers, fuck off. If the Reg stopped reporting this way, I really would stop reading it.

Thumb Up

Well I celebrated the launch of windows 7...

... I ordered a MacBook Pro.

Life Without Walls ?

Isn't that called camping?

Or perhaps being homeless.

Can't beat the pub for honesty

Blokey who owns the pub here ran/runs XP (XP on customer's system). He got a nice ASUS -covet, covet - decent lappie. Supplied with Vista. I tried it. Reasonably good, actually - recent install, natch. A couple of days later he'd switched to Win-7 because i'd told him it was about to be released.

Being Vietnamese, he likes the latest, shiniest stuff. Seems a trait of oriental folks when they have money.

Now, I'm a Linux fanboy, but this W-7 was, er, good. Well good! I reckon Win-7 is onto a winner. (But I won't move from Linux any day soon. Don't need the 'bells and whistles'). But, credit where credit's due.

Oh, was Ballmer CRB-checked, and were there any loose chairs in proximity?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums