A University of Colorado scientist has claimed that magpies hold "funerals" for fallen friends, demonstrating that they're all a lot more touchy-feely than they might appear. Dr Marc Bekoff observed four magpies alongside a fallen comrade, and recounted: "One approached the corpse, gently pecked at it, just as an elephant would …
It's encouraging (and unusual) to hear such reasoned and intelligent debate in the comments. Whatever the mechanism behind this behaviour, it's nice to see a member of the animal kingdom behaving with apparent dignity towards a fallen kind.
Mankind, being by far a superior creature, has evolved to piss on the dead and dying as they lie on pavements and in shop doorways.
"In the name of the Feather, the Sun and the Holy Crows"
Also, would dead crows be Murder victims?
- Pics Whisper tracks its users. So we tracked down its LA office. This is what happened next
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know
- Human spacecraft dodge COMET CHUNKS pelting off Mars
- Downrange Are you a gun owner? Let us in OR ELSE, say Blighty's top cops