back to article Ubuntu's Karmic Koala opens its eyes

Nothing quite says Autumn like the arrival of a fresh crop of Linux distros. Well, for Linux fans anyway. As usual, both Fedora and Ubuntu are gearing up for new releases, with the Ubuntu crew already pushing out the first betas of Ubuntu 9.10, dubbed Karmic Koala. Although Ubuntu 9.10 is only a beta release and still needs a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

K T

Free vs. well, free

Why does no publication dare mention "GNU/Linux" instead of just "Linux"? Take all of the GNU software out of these "Linux" operating systems and see how much (better: little) is left.

Without GNU, the Linux kernel is nothing.

I understand the adverse reaction towards Stallman and his radicalism, but please give credit where credit is due. The GNU Project contributes the majority of "Linux" software and should be credited as such!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Just a question

"Saw all those "autorun.inf" and "x4s.com" (and alike) files? And then graciously deleted them, handed the stick back, and then only to discover that it's just re-infected after the user puts it back into their system?"

There's nothing gracious about deleting someone else's files without their permission. You don't say you had it. It *would've* been gracious to tell them they have an infection to see if they wanted to do something about it. You don't say that you did that, either.You're part of the precipitate, friend.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Just a question

Oh yes I do tell them that it's infected, and the response is usually: "but my antivirus is up to date"

Anonymous Coward

@ David W.

I've been running multiple monitors on my Ubuntu box for years, through a succession of nVidia cards - works flawlessly, in fact it works better, and was quicker to set up, than multiple monitor support in the Windows partition on the same box. My housemate runs multiple monitors through his ATI card - also works flawlessly. Just yesterday I set up multi-monitors for a friend of mine who has some shitty old $20 video card. Guess what ? It worked flawlessly again.

If you've not been able to get multiple monitors working, maybe there's something wrong with you rather than the OS?

I'm not technically literate

But I do have a very large mallet.

WTF?

@Jim59

Halarious as we happily leave videos and tv s on without a thought. Weirdly in Germany I have never seen a smoke alarm in the domestic setting - maybe we are just crap in this country.

Flood more like!! I bet more homes have been burgled and flooded than burn't and yet we don't live in water-tight bankvaults.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums