Feeds

back to article Vodafone joins the iPhone throng

Vodafone has confirmed it will be selling Apple’s iPhone in the UK and Ireland from early next year, joining Orange as notches on Jobs’s bedstead. Vodafone will be selling the iPhone from "early 2010", and while we don't have details of tariffs and contracts, consumer groups are already falling over themselves to herald a new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Headmaster

@ Robert Hill

"Unlocked iPhones available in other countries are very expensive - and IF the Apple stores in the UK sell unlocked iPhones I would expect them to be very expensive (>£600) as well"

Not strictly so, a "locked" (to o2) PAYG phone from Apple's UK store is what £540 for a 32GB?

The same model (completely "unlocked", by Apple themselves no less) from the Hong Kong Apple store is about £490 so we actually pay more in this country to have them locked to o2.... (obviously exchange rate fluctuations, but basically I think Apple have aimed for a consistent price between countries for the "PAYG" models they supply themselves)

There is no reason why the PAYG phones supplied by Apple in the UK can't be supplied without operator locks (when the o2 "exclusive" expires at the end of next month I mean)

The "Unlocked ones" you mention are I suspect the ones that are "grey" imports from places such as HK and Italy - I saw one at Dubai Airport yesterday - >$900. I think play.com et al also import them from places that have them unlocked by default and slap a hefty mark-up on them.

My point is, if Apple apply the same logic to the UK PAYG phones they supply, there is no need for them to be more expensive then they already are.

Welcome

Voda iPhone + Femto?

So maybe 3G will finally be of use indoors and out.

Having become fed up with O2's data services on my iPhone lately, and also having bugger all 3G coverage in my house (yes West London is sooo rural), maybe a Voda iPhone and Femto combination will be a big hit.

Roll on contract expiry day :)

Anonymous Coward

Jobs is missing a trick?

I am probably wrong but would it not be better business practice for Apple to just sell their iphones unlocked and in retail stores just like they do with their ipods? Then they have a potential customer base of billions perhaps. I know every fecker how has an Argos would buy at least one this christmas.

Megaphone

dumb you said Bill?

I'd be careful if I were you to use such words.

your analysis about the iphone aren't particularly smart.

Alert

@Ty

"THE IPHONE IS A MOBILE MAC!!!!" - right!

That's why the updates are so buggy, costs the earth, catches fire, support is in a total state of denial and has the Apple battery tax (because if you have one you are too stupid to be allowed to change it).

It's shit.

Anonymous Coward

Still waiting ...

I'll be ready to buy when the iPhone comes to Lebara!

@Andy 115

Er, so I was off by what, £60, or about 12%? I'll take that for an off-the-cuff ("I would expect" was my verbage) estimate.

The reason they are probably less expensive in Hong Kong is because of the massive influx of iPhone copies that are flooding China these days - all direct violations of Apple patents and copywrites, and none of them enforced. To compete, Apple probably feels the need to undercut their own pricing...

My pricing was an estimate based upon what I had heard they went for in Austrailia and the few EU countries that forced them to be unlocked...

Be that as it may, you and I are both consistent in that the price WILL be rather larger than what O2 provides them for with a contract, i.e., free to <£100 depending upon model and plan.

Silver badge
Flame

iPhone batteries...

... *are* replaceable. They're just not *easily* replaceable. The 3GS' battery isn't even soldered to the motherboard any more: it's just a small plug.

The reason you can't just whip off the back of the phone and plug a new battery in is precisely the same reason why the iPhone is so thin. You can't have it both ways. (No. Seriously. Go look up "Lithium-Polymer" on effing Google.) You can replace it yourself if you really want to, but Apple will do it for you for about the same price as buying a new battery for most other mobile phones anyway.

If you just want a power source to keep the iPhone's charge up during a heavy bout of phoning (or web browsing), you can easily buy a combined iPhone case and external 'booster' battery for it. Like one of these: http://www.mophie.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1&gclid=CJKUsbTFl50CFZoU4wod1Fyk2g

(I found out all this basic information in mere seconds, using a website called "Google"! Who knew that site could be so useful?)

And no, I don't own an iPhone. My Nokia 2630 does everything I need from a mobile: make and receive phone calls. For everything else, there's MasterCa^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H my laptop.

@Voda iPhone + Femto?

Been there, done that - in W London too. Works a treat.

Jobs Halo

Oh no!

The next thing is the Unemployed will have iPhones (that they've not stolen) just like the RAZR!

THEN I'll have to change. The style 'thing' will just be TOO much!.

Stop

Thin?

The iPhone 3GS is 12.5mm thick, give or take. The Palm Pixi, on comparison, is 10.55mm. And that has a removable battery. The Samsung Tocco Ultra is 12.7mm, and that incorporates a physical slider keyboard. So no, the size of the phone has nothing to do with the battery being replaceable.

I used the same research material you did, good sir.

Thumb Down

@Ty

Funny thing is, the iPhone is about all Apple are selling. Still down in that sub 5% OS coverage.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.