back to article Alabama judges take hard line on dildos

An Alabama "adult themed chain store" has lost an appeal in which it sought to challenge the state's anti-obscenity law - prohibiting the sale of sex toys - as "unconstitutional" and "unconstitutionally vague". Alabama Supreme Court justices ruled on Friday that said law is indeed constitutional, and that Hoover-based Love Stuff …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Typical

of the nanny state.

Center of Enlightenment

Ahhhhhhh Alabama........ Neck and neck with Mississippi in the race for Human Enlightenment

Pirate

Puritan

If you draw a box in the middle of the US, keeping States that border the Atlantic and Pacific oceans on the outside, everything inside is like traveling through a time machine.

Well that's not strictly true, a few of those middle country states are actually in the present, but the majority still live in some sort of puritan, Victorian era. Most of the modern US call them Flat Earthers, they're the ones that think affordable health care is evil and the Confederate flag is simply a symbol of southern States legislative freedom (yeah right and the Swastika is a harmless good luck charm). Their heroes are the obscenely rich and it truely is ironic that people as poor as this will march screaming and shouting obscenities in order to protect the Michael Savages and Rush Limbaughs of the world from having to pay their fair share in taxes. These are the people who lost their jobs to Asian slave labour, and yet they are willing to fight tooth and nail to prevent the CEOs that stole their pensions and forced them into foreclosure operate in a fair and socially responsible manner.

Their fanatical religious leaders and radio snake oil salesmen are continually caught getting high on prescription pain pills, paying for gay prostitutes, their exalted right wing politicians are continually getting caught breaking election finance laws, being bribed by lobbyists or engaging in gay text sex with teenage congressional volunteers - and yet they're quite content with the hypocritical and flat earth laws that interfere with the sex lives of their neighbours.

It truly is astonishing how stupid these people are, but then you have to remember that the only fair comparisons are with the working class serfs and peasant that lived in the Middle Ages, allowing corrupt Church leaders to use invented fantasies about a paradise called heaven (for those that do as they're told) and unending torture in hell (for those that say "hang on a minute, you want what?") to scare the local population into working for nothing for land owners and the Church itself.

Anonymous Coward

RE:The bible says girls should have sex with their fathers #

@AC 16:27 GMT."The one about a couple of gals not having any men around and so raping their father?"

You actually believe that? Lot disappeared into the mountains with his teen daughters. They allegedly got him drunk and had sleep-sex with him and each became impregnated after a single ride on his lovestick. Well I know that being maggotted unconscious sure improves my erectile performance!

Quick question: they escaped from the town of Sodom as it was being destroyed. How'd they manage to carry a dozen bottles of bubbly?

I reckon Lot prodded his teen daughters, knocked them up, came down from the mountain and had to make something up. In a patriarchal society, why would the girls say any different? Or the Genesis writers write any different?

Anonymous Coward

Taliban country

If the Talibs get booted out of Afghanistan, Alabama would seem the logical place for them to head for.

Sweet home Alabama? I think not.

@ AC 17:37

More than that, the few middle states that aren't "fat earthers" are usually so because of high population cities. I'm currently living in Saint Louis, which isn't too bad, even if it still has a lot more of the flat earthers around than I would like. However, stray out into the Ozarks, and things are a different story altogether. Of course, Missouri is just the opposite of Illinois - in Illinois, Chicagoland dwarfs the rest of the state in population, and there are a few semi-enlightened smaller metros midstate as well. In Missouri, the rural population is larger than the metro. So the state laws have a definite flat earther feel, even if it's not as bad as *shudder* Alabama.

-d

Religion: Yes; but ancient scriptures: No

@adnim 10:26 - No doubt

"that religion has something to do with this law"

@AC 15:19 - Religions and forbidding sex

"I have wondered why many religions try and stop people having sex"

Anyone who actually cares to research this in the original scriptures (ancient language required), or by using common-sense and removing the sod in the current common "bibles", will find that it actually says in many passages that sex between husband and wife is a good thing that is to be done as often as possible.

The "control" over sex goes back to the early religious leaders enforcing control over their subjects. The common "religion" concepts of sin, hell, eternal suffering, are all man-made fear controls and are not part of the original writings or are not in the same context as how they are used today.

Studying the ancient writings and languages for thirty years provides a stark contrast to common religious notions.

Silver badge
Go

Re: Puritan (AC 14th Sep 17:37)

The central US region you are referring to is generally, and aptly, known as Dumbfuckistan. It is interesting that these same time-trapped states were also the ones instrumental in re-electing Bush. Bear in mind that this region does in fact encompass some of the Atlantic coastal states, such as N/S Carolina, Georgia and Florida, and excludes some of the Great Lakes states like Wisconsin and Illinois. But other than this, it appears that there are many people who agree with you:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/CaithSith/Dumbfuckistan.jpg

(image google "Dumbfuckistan" and see just how many variations of this map there are!)

Coat

Taliban? Bring 'em on...

Re: AC 2009 20:29

Send all the Taliban here you want, it's legal to own .50 caliber (12.5mm) sniper rifles here. No need for those wimpy AK-47s. Precision deliver 'r us, as it were. (Credit where it's due, though--the record for a long shot sniper with a .50 is held by a British soldier, over 2000 meters.)

Besides, Redstone Arsenal can always use more test targets for the nifty gadgets they're developing out there.

netgeek

Anonymous Coward

War is wasted in Afghanistan.

The rise of the Talabama... the war on terror goes on. I pissed myself laughing when I read this. Thanks Reg for bringing this repressive regime out into the open. Maybe Obama should take military action to bring down the sexually repressed tyrants!

FAIL

@Deegee

"The common "religion" concepts of sin, hell, eternal suffering, are all man-made fear controls and are not part of the original writings or are not in the same context as how they are used today."

Man made... as opposed to what?

Flame

Generalizations make everyone feel better

This state is obviously representative of all state law.

And all Americans are religious idiots.

And all Americans own guns.

And all British people are missing 50% of their teeth.

And all British people have ears the size of single prop plane wings.

And they are all too busy eating biscuits and drinking tea or too stupid to notice their country erroding out from underneath of them.

FAIL

Hahaha

What a bunch of losers, have to hand it to the nation founded by puritans...

Go

The Dukes of Huntsville

My wife to be lives in Huntsvillie which is in North Alamaba. Next year when we get married we will be painting our car red, putting a duxie flag on top and then going an a dildo run across the border followed by Boss Hog.

Sounds like fun huh?

Coat

@ Anonymous coward Posted Monday 14th September 2009 15:43 GMT

"I bet even in Alabama you can buy off the shelf cucumbers without a license. Or a doctors receipt. What is a good medical purpose for a dildo anyway?"

The medical purpose for a dildo is for treatment of hysteria http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteria

mines the one with the huge dildo and 19th century medical dictionary

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums