Feeds

back to article British troops get nifty techno-gunsights

The Ministry of Defence has announced a new £150m purchase of hi-tech weapon sights and optics, saying that the new kit will "improve soldier lethality" and "support the British defence industrial base". Serving soldiers have disparaged only a little of the new kit - and much of the money will in fact be spent overseas. New …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

What do you call a Gambler who never Blushes? *

"The rest of you - try and be sort of nice and only throw soft objects, please. " ..... By Sarah Bee Posted Thursday 10th September 2009 13:05 GMT

urStar Wish ... Our Command, Sarah Bee, in Godisagoddess Circles Round Tables.

"Also, War is a nessasary evil. Some people cannot be talked too, and war happens when all else has failed." ... By Paul 4 Posted Thursday 10th September 2009 13:45 GMT

Wow. That was Zealous. War is Unnecessary. All people can be talked to and war happens whenever nothing spectacularly new is tried, is the Riposte Repost Response.

"oh, and no, i'm not french. hehe. i'm a citizen of earth who presently resides in England. i'm actually an african originally from Zimbabwe." .... By Sillyfellow Posted Thursday 10th September 2009 14:31 GMT

And is that as an Alien in a Foreign LAN, Sillyfellow, Garnering Valuable Insight for Mutual Intelligence in the Role of Virtual Viral Messenger and Global Operating Device?

Or is that too John Le Carré Perfect? It is a Reality Possibility Nevertheless, such is the BroadBandCommunications Facility Today.

*A Bluffer

Silver badge

Titanic NIRobotIQs .... for Home Grown Artificial IntelAIgents .....

..... Holywood Style, Impossibly Stealthy.

Bombardier build some spooky executive business fly by wire ware nowadays .... http://www.bombardier.com/en/aerospace/services-and-solutions/specialized-aircraft-solutions?docID=0901260d8000cc35

Is IT a Ship or is IT a Plane?

I Bet you they could build a Mean CyberIntelAIgents Centre .... for Virtual Communications Hubs/SMARTer Enabled Nodes/Free Radicals Partnering in Progress to Higher Levels of Gracious Confusion. :-)

Is that what Loughside is/is to be? .... http://www.secret-bases.co.uk/secret.htm#MI5 Surely anything else will cause Unnecessary Friction and Suspicion and Virtual Conflict, which would be AIMadness and thus is Immediately Dismissed as Perfectly Unsuitable.

Pint

"we need an end to all this senseless killing. regardless of any rhyme or reason."

No we don't. For a start- while rhyme has nothing to do with it, Reason says that if we accept that our lives aren't worthless then we should defend them. If you consider your life worthless then please feel free to end it- it's one less polluter, one less person to defend, one less car on the road to run over someone useful.*

So we should be prepared for those who would attack us.

If they attack us we should defend ourselves, and if they continue to attack even after we've defended ourselves non-lethally then we should step up our response. You wouldn't take a life you say? What if you kept throwing someone to the floor but couldn't restrain them- and every time they'd just keep coming back at you, getting closer and closer to your family? What if they were particularly sadistic and would rape and kill your entire family in front of you before letting you go and handing you a gun? Would you forgive them then, or shoot the bastard?

Going to war because we're bored is a bad thing. Iraq seems like a pretty bad idea- they'd not done anything to us recently and IIRC didn't even harbour the flavour-of-the-day terrorists.

Afghanistan started as a good idea- there were people there who wanted to kill us. And said so. And proved their resolve to kill us. So getting rid of them was a good idea. The problem is that we spent years arming them and telling them to kill the invaders when those invaders were against us...

And as others have said, if we're going to have war then we should protect and kit out our guys as well as possible.

And thanks to my being protected from terrorism by the terrorists being blown to smithereens, I'm off to have a beer.

*Actually, don't. You're not worthless- no-one is. Everyone can do something and no problems are insurmountable. Trust me- I'm an Engineer and pretty damn good at solving problems. If you do feel like ending it all, people like the Samaritans can help get you feel more positive.

Best "Here's looking at you." ever

I applaud Quality captioning when I see it, but I no longer shout at people because all life is suffering and there's no bloody point.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.