back to article A phone in every car gains hard-won GSMA support

The GSMA has, unsurprisingly, come out in support of the EU plan to fit a mobile phone in every car, valuing each life saved at over fourteen million quid. The eCall system dials 112 (the EU-wide emergency number) after an accident in order to summon the emergency services, and the Commission reckons that it could save 2500 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ishkandar
    Terminator

Wonderful idea !!

Now, all they have to do is to add video and record the results. They can then flog the videos as horror movies complete with *REAL* screams in stereophonic sound and make a mint !!

Can't fail !! Love it !! Where do I invest in this ??

2. Wayland Sothcott 1
    Big Brother

Trojan spyware

We know what this is for. We don't want it. But that's OK it's volentary until the end of 2009.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@euro sceptics et al

"I take it that "EU will make it mandatory" does not mean they dictate our laws?"

Good luck with that view.

4. Shady

It baffles me.....

....that the UK is holding out on cost / value / effectiveness grounds, but is pressing ahead with ID cards.

Would it be because UK MP's have no holdings in the firms required to produce the technology - so there's nothing for them to trouser?

Where's the "clammy hand grasping after a bundle of bank notes" icon?

5. sig

What about my bicycle?

If I'm hit by some witless texting driver, I'll be in more urgent need of medical attention than a car driver encased in airbags and several tons of steel. Can I have a GSM-GPS notifier-tracker-nanny installed?

6. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

As other have pointed out ...

... a recipe for services overload.

A couple of weeks ago, someone ran into the building - I suspect a classic "hit the throttle instead of brake" automatic accident. Very quickly we had two police vans and a paramedic out in the street looking for the vehicle - it was in out car park, and due to the location, they couldn't see the smashed front end of it. Shortly after that, the fire engine and ambulance arrived, plus another police van, and a fire officer in a car.

SEVEN emergency vehicles for a low speed impact causing only minor injuries to one person (she'd just taken her belt off and got a bloody nose and slight whiplash from impact with the exploding airbag).

And I'm with the other sceptics above - how long before the tracking begins.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dont be fooled..

By thinking you will get away with removing or breaking said tracking device. Any miles travelled that cannot be accounted for via the GPS system will be charged at a slightly higher rate. They will incorporate your mileometer reading which is much more difficult to tamper with.

Also, I'd really like to know who exactly are the individuals that think this stuff up? Statements such as "The UK is holding out" Who in the UK? and who exactly is proposing this in the first place?

8. Nigel 11
    FAIL

Mileometer @AC

It's trivial to sabotage the mileometer. Just unplug or jam its sensor. (I don't know if the feed is still a mechanical rotating cable in a sleeve, or whetther it's gone electrical, but either way - no input, no recorded mileage).

Beyond that, same argument as before. Will disabling the mileometer be deemed to be an illegal act, or something that one is free to do to one's own property? And why?

9. RightPaddock
    Grenade

GSM Tracking

@DavidKelly 2 - location tracking via mobile networks is already here, see http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115350-233.html

If it can tell you where you are then it can tell other's too, and you wouldn't have to be carrying an iphone - all gsm phones are seen by all "in range" gsm antennae, irrespective of the phone company.

10. TeeCee Gold badge

Cost / benefit.

"....or a shade over £14m for each one of the 2500 lives saved."

I'm sorry, but this a debate that needs to be had. The 'elf 'n safety nazis have had all the low-hanging fruit and are now off on a kick to achieve the (patently impossible) target of zero accidental deaths.

The Truth That Dare Not Speak Its Name here is that the various pieces of legislation gradually chipping away at our liberties (and wallets) need to be subjected to rigorous cost (both monetary and in terms of inconvenience/privacy/personal freedom issues) to benefit analysis. This would, however, entail effectively putting a price on human life and the sort of dickheads that work in this business all have in common that they genuinely believe that no price is too high to pay, so we're f***ed as things stand.

@Whoever said that ABS and NCAP stars should be mandated: If you ever feel like complaining about the "nanny state", look in the sodding mirror first.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like