Feeds

back to article Apple yanks C64 emulator from App Store

Many Register readers seeking the Commodore 64 emulator application for the iPhone, which finally made it to Apple's App Store yesterday, were disappointed not to be able to find it. Here's why: Apple pulled it. Apple originally rejected the emulator, called simply C64, some months ago. Developer Manomio appealed against the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

fool me once

bunch of weiner brains.

she knows what weiners are for.

Jobs Horns

It may just be their "no emulator" policy

3.3.2 An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple’s Published APIs and built-in interpreter(s).

I expect this was really put their to prevent Java from showing up on the phone but it applies here as well. Jobs certainly would want to support running any apps not under his complete control :)

Thumb Down

@Juan Inamillion

Not that I really care, but how does a chart showing a breakdown of smartphone sales in a single quarter by manufacturer show anything relative to the breakdown of mobile phones (not just someone's classification of smart) with given OSes in use?

Your chart gives very little, even for that single quarter, WRT Windows Mobile and Linux. effectively only relating a combined total, in effect of about 9 thousand in 'sales' - it in unclear whether this is in units of currency or individual handsets.

Looking at the more obvious OS comparisons, the chart gives the extremely mistaken impression that there are 'only' (roughly) 3.5 times as many Symbian S60 handsets out in the wild than Iphones.

I think your argument would be better served by producing sources that show things like Iphone users tend to spend more on phone applications than other phone users, or somesuch.

Grenade

So, the Ocarina should be banned too right?

Isn't there some Ocarina thingy for the iPhone?

Something you can play music on?

Clearly it has internal code set to explode* the iPhone if you attempt to play a copyrighted tune.

Such as "Happy Birthday" (C)1990 Warner Chappel Music.

Could a Lawyer please explain the difference between this and the C64 app?

* AH! So that's why iPhones have been exploding!

Go

Doom

@Anonymous Coward

I had had a port of Doom running on an old windows smartphone years ago, back in the day when it was still called Pocket PC phone edition. And there are versions of Doom and Wolfenstein for the iPhone:

http://www.idsoftware.com/iphone-games/

Define Basic.

Basic, as in the language, is not exactly crucial.

Disabling the ability to run Basic tokens/commands is trivial. Besides some very good but very old games, few used Basic to even load themselves - they might be calling rom I/O routines like $FFBA to select a drive, but they wouldn't have a need for the basic interpretter.

Basic as The Problem is poorly defined.

Regards.

Lucky

That I downloaded the emulator in time. The only problem now is that I have paid for an emulator with only three crappy games circa 1982. Do you think that Apple will give me my money back - thought not.

odd policy

A BASIC interpreter is not allowed but a 6510 interpreter is? Something doesn't quite add up there.

Silver badge

re: Doom

Never mind Doom, I had a weird version of Quake running on an iPaq almost 7 years ago. I can only imagine it's come along since then.

The reason I abandoned it? How on earth do you control Quake with a stylus? Not easily is the answer. But fun for 5 minutes to find out.

The reason Apple don't want this is purely because it's the thin end of the wedge. Allow a C64 emulator, allow an Amiga emulator, allow a Game Boy emulator -> Megadrive/Genesis -> Saturn -> N64 -> PSP etc - Wii??

OK there will likely be a natural hardware barrier at some point along the chain, but you can bet that Apple have shot themselves in the foot by being guardians of the software gate, and therefore leaving them open to the inevitable lawsuits. I suppose it's also a revenue loser - you need to get a special "licence" (read money for Apple) to develop for the iPhone. This C64 emulator technically means anyone can be a developer.

Granted, as mentioned above, I doubt you'd get many people relishing the prospect of digging their software out the loft, seeing if the C90's have stood the test of time, and typing it on an iPhone keyboard. Frankly I struggle to write a medium-length email on one. Just tried it:

10 GOTO 20

becomes

10 GIRO 20 with the helpful autocorrect

jai
Silver badge
WTF?

@ Red Bren RE : where do you plug in the tape recorder?

you don't - you convert the tape to mp3 and then load those whistles and beeps in that way :)

@ MeRp - @ Simple solution needed educated.

@ Juan Inamillion was referring to the troll, 'Simple solution's' comment towards the top of the page. He thinks it's 1996 so a little education was administered.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.