back to article Brain-jacking fungus turns living victims into 'zombies'

Scientists say they have discovered a horrific flesh-eating fungus which is able to infect living creatures and turn them into "zombies". The hapless victims are then compelled to shamble away to a location where their immobilised bodies - as they are gradually consumed from within, acting as food supply and nest to the ghastly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Re: Show it to the Creationists then

>Flames, because yeah I mentioned religion and now need to keep my head down...

That all depends which God you were talking about, there are so many to chose from and quite a few of them seem to have more violent followers than others.

Anonymous Coward

proof of concept

G.W. Bush

FAIL

@Sergie Kaponitovicz (Wednesday 12th August 2009 14:49 GMT)

Salve!

"Any Latin word ending *****us when converted to the plural becomes *****i. I went to a good school: it was Approved."

Doesn't make it Correct, though.

Try "casus" or "manus", or check out the "fourth declension".

As to "virus" which doesn't really have a plural, "virusticles" might work just as well if needed... :-)

Silver badge

Bah!

I saw this very thing on an Attenborough documentary over 30 years ago!

Once again so-called "scientists" fail to do science, or at least do it in a timely manner.

Joke

@That's the one

"I also remember a mention of a cat parasite that changes cats behaviour but I could be wrong"

Nah, you're probably thinking of cats being parasites that change their host's behaviour - I know ours certainly does.

Syphillis

Makes you insanely smart.

Obviously so that you can find more sex partners.

Side note... Under a microscope syphillis and Tooth Decay germs look almost identical.

Alert

management

ha! I finally found out what really happens at the management training courses ..they go in all okay but come out devoid of IT knowledge and ready to take the rest of us down.. 8-)

We've got them in New Zealand too. (sort of).

Have a look at this: http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-Bio04Tuat01-t1-body-d1.html

Not exactly the same, but a similar concept. My Mother* has lots of these on display in her home, for curious grandsons to look at.

*She's a World Famous in New Zealand Botanist, not just eccentric.

FAIL

dammit

Headcrab comment already made.

Serves me right for turning up late.

Darwin

I know that this might sound odd, but I'm having a really hard time seeing how gradual generational evolution through natural selection could produce such a fungus. I can believe all of the individual parts to some level, but for a fungus to evolve to the state where it can compel a completely separate species to go to a certain type of location and then hang upside down?

I'm not suggesting that this is fake, or some kind of CIA/Russian/alien experiment gone wrong, but I just cannot reconcile something so so complex and so specific with what I learned about evolution in school. I can buy that dinosaurs turned into birds, and all of that, but for a fungus to compel and an to hang upside down 25cm above the jungle floor, etc, etc. It's to much to take in.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums