back to article British boffin named first ever 'doctor of texting'

A student at a British university has been awarded the first ever PhD in text messaging. Linguist Caroline Tagg - now Dr Caroline Tagg - spent more than three years at Birmingham University researching the subject of text messages and the language used within them. She trawled through 11,000 text messages sent by 235 people …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Leon Prinsloo
    WTF?

erm...

why did she exclude the kids from 12-18, they appear to be the worst for shortening words, when my 16 year old niece sms's me, I don't bother reading it, because my head will spin trying to understand it. That is why they are saying that sms' are destroying the english language, or any language for that matter.

2. jake Silver badge

@Michael Miller

I think the inestimable Ms Bee put it best:

FOAD

3. jake Silver badge

Yeah, I know.

Sarah says ODFO ... so shoot me.

We have nine 35 day old puppies that we're trying to train when & where it's appropriate to pee & poop ... It's kind of a 24 hour job. Nice work, if you can get it ;-)

4. Lionel Baden
    FAIL

spelling + grammer

Was on the train one day and this bloke was showing this woman how to send a text on her new phone

Woman: how i delete that

Man Dont worry bout spelling it does it for you

Woman: Is it ....

Jeez if i ever hear my kids talk / spell like that im gonna have to get the cane out !!!

worked for years now now corperal punishment and everything goes down the loo

5. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

jealousy

Plenty of jealous folks here I see who are probably less than capable of getting a BA in linguistic, let alone a Phd.

Get over yourself.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

surely...

the doctorate is in linguistics and the research was about texting... quite how someone can be the first doctor of texting is beyond me, surely there would need to be an officially accepted language of which many people actually speak/write before anyone could be even considered being an expert in it? since texting isnt actually an accepted language and its more a method whereby people cut down words in their own language into recognisable (in some cases) words short enough to be texted....

btw ... AC FTW!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Charles Manning. You're an idiot.

That's arguably the most ignorant post in this entire thread, which is no mean feat.

If you're so into stereotyping I'm surprised you didn't cotton onto why the students and teachers of engineering / mathematics et al are in such short supply - could it possibly be because they're all socially inept and nobody would dream of working with them? No, because tarring everyone with the same brush is a bl**dy stupid idea, especially if you've got no idea what you're talking about.

Many of those teaching Media Studies at my old university are established and critically acclaimed novelists, continue to work in the media (local newspapers, national newspapers, magazines and so on) and, judging by your post, considerably more intelligent than you.

I know plenty of engineering students who “sponged off the state” – up to and beyond PHD level, at the best universities in the country. Yes, the degrees may be seen as more useful – but the people I know that did them had a natural aptitude and pretty much never went. One specifically continued to a post doctorate level, specifically to avoid work. So get off your high horse, the type of person you appear to venomously dislike appears in all walks of life, and certainly in all walks of academia.

You can no doubt guess that yes, I studied media at university. While there I never once watched a “couple of hours of TV”, never once reported on advertising, and evidently came out of it a much more rounded person than the likes of you.

Interestingly, I also walked straight into a journalism job, earning above the average salary and yes, paying more than the average tax. So no – you didn’t “pay” for me to go to university.

As I said: small-minded, ill-informed idiot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Media studies" etc. Easy to find lecturers (just ask any burger-flipper at McD). Easy to find students (lazy bastards who want a cruisy time while at university). Easy to assign homework(watch a couple of hours of TV and write a report on how many times there are food ads). Extra credits if you submit your report in text-speak or CtlC CtlV it directly from a blog, or send it in via twitter. No expensive equipment.

Degrees that actually help the economy, engineering and the like, are pretty much the opposite. Hard to find lecturers (they are all gainfully employed). Hard to find students (few have the qualifications & skills needed). Hard to assign and mark homework (need to read all those maths workings etc). Expensive equipment.

Now that many universities get their funding based on performance (measured by number of students they have, and the number of grads they crank out), no wonder they push the easy option

8. Lottie
    Flame

Knee Jerking

It's a PhD (or plumming, heating and drains) in Linguistics with its research being done on texting.

TBH, I figure it's not that bad an idea. Texting is becoming/ has become one of the most common forms of communication and has developed its own sets of rules regarding grammar, spelling and general compostition. I reckon there's quite a bit of intersting data one could extract from analyzing text messages.

Oh, sorry, I mean "what about my taxes, it's a disgrace, when I was at uni we only did REAL subjects like examining letters, the english language is evolving a bit and I'm going in to future shock. Why can't we go back to shakespeare and HIS made up words?"

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like