back to article HTC Hero Android smartphone

HTC is currently balancing its prodigious smart phone output between its long-established Windows Mobile series of handsets and those running Google's Android operating system. The Hero follows the G1 and the Magic in HTC's Android line-up and comes with a fistful of updates. These include a new user interface, multi-touch …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Heart

tethering?

Can you tether stuff with google phone like you can with nokias?

if so, then i think i might have to invest in one. a seriously good looking phone

Jobs Horns

@ Tony Smith

Time to eat some humble pie?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/12/exploding_iphone/

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: Exploding Phones

It is axiomatic that if you want a high capacity battery, then it holds a lot of energy when charged. It is also a fact that high capacity==highly reactive chemicals in the battery (after all, it is a chemical reaction that produces the energy).

This means that pretty much all devices with batteries are potentially dangerous (if you don't believe me, try shorting a couple of good alkaline AA cells connected in series, and see how long you can hold them!). And you will get even more spectacular results with NiCads (it all depends on the internal resistance of the battery - the lower the resistance, the faster the battery can be made to liberate it's total capacity, and as we know from school physics V=I*R but P=I*I*R, so the lower the resistance, the higher the generated current and thus the higher the rate-of-release). Power=heat, heat means liberated gas which can cause explosions and heat that can cause burns.

Bearing in mind how much energy is required to move a car, I would hate to see what would happen to a Lithium Polymer battery car in a fiery crash with a petrol vehicle. Nor would I want to be a fireman trying to tackle an electrical fire on the motorway.

I claim that this is either a Chemistry or Physics teacher and this is a Pedantic Thermodynamic and/or Electrical Power Equation Nazi Alert! .... Come on, it is Friday afternoon.

Dead Vulture

Save us from our iPhones

@Gatherhoe: Read some -real- news before jumping in to protect Apple:

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10013497o-2000591474b,00.htm

Flame

Looks aweful

For fsck sake, how can anyone expect to be taken seriously pulling such a naff looking phone out of their pocket.

I like HTC and I know they are capable of making really nice looking phones (eg HTC HD and the HTC Touch Pro 2), so why do they insist on making the android based handsets look so woeful?

I want to get an android phone, but you couldn't pay me to use this handset.

Happy

@ "aweful"

i think it looks quite sleek. i even like the chin.

Bronze badge

@aweful

is that full of awe?

battery life

have to agree there, my only let down with the phone is that as a heavy user, I murder the battery every day. Otherwise the perfect phone so far (for me).

Almost worth it just for the lastFM app, two years worth of watching what I listen to has made it almost psychic :D

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums