Feeds

back to article Ridley Scott signs up to direct Alien prequel

Ridley Scott, the original director of science fiction horror classic Alien, has signed up with Fox to helm an upcoming prequel. Plot details for the film remain a closely guarded secret, aside from the fact that its events will occur before the Nostromo answers a fatal "distress call" that leads to a deadly encounter with a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

WTF?

corn bread?

its either gonna be great or suck donkey balls

Anonymous Coward

You always were an asshole Gorman...

Nothing will be better than Alien and Aliens, they just can't make films like that anymore.

The recent AVP films should be buried and forgotten.

I recon this will be rubbish.

Go

I quite liked all the Alien Quadrilogy

I really liked #2 the best though. Got bored at times with 1,3 & 4, but overall liked them. Cannot remember if I have seen either of the AVP ones - I'll probably watch them sometime...

Anyway, to the point. Hollywood would want to build upon the so-called 'touch points' of the franchise (forget AVP - that's a different franchise), so it's likely it'll be set in Nostromo-era outer space, with humans as the protagonists.

Also, they would have The Company there - so we can have big spaceships as either a set or as plot device. That would also help us to empathise with the victims (who doesn't know of a faceless, soulless company willing to do anything to get what it wants?)

But, would they use LV426? I think that the execs would find it good to include the set with the dead alien 'navigator' in it: (http://www.allmoviephoto.com/photo/1979_alien_006.html) That guy was huge!

It has opportunity in that it already had humans on there, and that we don't really know that much about their history (LV426 could have been quite populous for a time, but restricted to a particular area geographically. By the time Alien came around, the tech to colonise out to where the alien ship was is present, but interest in the planet itself has waned. Or something)

But it presents issues in that my explanation above is messy, and why make it that messy? I'm sure Hollywood has its best scriptwriting minds on that very subject RIGHT NOW.

So, using yet another spaceship (again, a touch point for the series) is more likely. But that just makes it into a Alien 'Shared World' movie. Not necessarily a prequel. Unless they put in it the date or something - but even then , I don't think just having it chronologically earlier than Alien would make it a prequel. It has to have an obvious connection IMNSHO.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. And if it's anything like the last time I posted a message to El Reg, I'll be the last person to post anyway, as everyone will have lost interest by now...

As an aside I think that John Square Posted Tuesday 4th August 2009 08:01 GMT was a good post on this. Thanks John.

Boffin

The Alien Dead?

Don't get rid of Ash: just make him a different Ash. A masterful blend of Nukem, They Live and Evil Dead II.

I don't know if Mr Scott's on good terms with Sam Raimi, but they should talk: if there's anyone born to fight aliens, it's Bruce Campbell.

Coat

@ Ripley in kickers OP

Dude, she has to be about 70 now, whatever salts your gravy.

If ahyone everplayed any of the most excellent AvP games, there was a good sub caste story of Alien origins they need to explore, I'd love to see the pilot's re-visited, especially after the connotations the game throws up.

Mine's the one with spukmeyer all over it

Joke

Time travel

Hollywood have missed a trick, by using time travel they could have gone for a

Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator vs Star Trek vs Futurama vs Doctor Who

Happy

@Sceptical Bastard

Sigourney is too old for that now. Maybe Summer Grau?

Alien

Prequel concept

Not too tricky. 2 and 3 both involved people killing themselves and taking aliens with them. Extrapolate to the scale of a film, realise that in "Alien" the Company do know about the xenomorphs but haven't their hands on one, and it's simples. Last scene becomes the last survivor pushing the "blow-up-the-ship-in-a-really-big-special-effect" button just as the aliens break through the door. Add in the Company overriding control of the ship so he/she can't stop it coming back to Earth, mix in a little slicing-and-dicing action, and that's yer film.

And in four sentences, I've still covered more plot than the whole of Alien: Resurrection managed. What a singularly pathetic waste of celluloid *that* turkey was.

Paris Hilton

"Is this going to be a stand-up fight, sir, or another bug hunt?"

Space marines or maybe company scouting/mining ship v.s. alien ship = no more marines and broken alien ship on LV426 + distress signal. Perhaps "Alien" was the second attempt for the company. Finally realizing how tough the bugs are, they send marines the third time.

Aliens 5: "The boarding party"

Paris.... How about some more of that Arcturian poon tang!

WTF?

Alien still is my favourite suspence film.

It's also one of my favourite films in general.

The visual design by Giger was truely unique and nothing has come close to this day. The direction was superb and the suspence hasn't been beaten since IMO.

This didn't last long.

Aliens was a great action film but thats all

Alien 3 stood out for it's visual style and great directing but was very formulaic.

The last film was utter garbage.

It will take a lot to do anything with this tired franchise.

My feelings are that they will screw this up completely.

I reserve judgement until I see for myself.

Paris Hilton

Alien: missed opportunity

I saw Alien (the original) and loved it. I don't see what the whingers are whingeing on about. Also saw Alien II (the one with the little girl who has to be rescued from the infested ship by Ripley). I thought the idea of aliens as a nest of ants all hatched from eggs laid by a gigantic queen was pretty clever (and done with admirable SFX).

The opportunity for a sequel to the original film that was sadly missed was connected with Ripley rescuing her cat from the doomed ship at the last minute. Given that the cat had been at loose on the ship with the alien (which, you will recall, turned up in the top bunk of the escape module, and had to be blasted into space by evacuating the air) for several hours, I fully expected that an Earth-bound sequel was planned, in which pussy turns out to have an interesting infestation of worms on return to terra firma.

I obviously missed my vocation: I should have been a Hollywood script writer.

I don't care if Sigourney Weaver is nearly 70. She's two years younger than me, and I still want to see her in her knickers.

[Paris, 'cos she's the closest you've got to a "dirty old man" logo!]

Anonymous Coward

Shock News

Sad-lifes speculate on woman wearing knickers and foam at the trouser.

Hope

I'm really hoping that Scott gets Geiger involved in the new movie.

I don't think Scott will let this be just the normal Hollywood crap.

The last scene has got to be the Nostomo leaving Earth on the way to do it's scheduled mission.

Whatever happens I'm looking forward to the 3hr extended DVD version of the movie that is bound to come out.

Happy

How about the prequel

being a "first contact" style film, where the Aliens and Mankind first encounter one another. Man's spacecraft is using matter-scoops or other sci-fi nonsense for power, "bio-filter" picks up an egg, egg extracted from "matter scoop" and inspected, empty egg puzzles scientists.

Meanwhile generic "ensign Ricky" character gets an awesome chestburster scene. Use an epileptic for this so the rest of the cast will genuinely fuss over him if he starts convulsing during a short "break in filming"...

Alien does Alien stuff, people die in what are dismissed as bizarre "accidents" (accidentally fell into an engine, asphyxiated in a narrow air-duct [unseen- the lower half of his body torn to shreds]) but eventually the crew start to realise what's happenning.

After the Alien's known of- but not dealt with, the Human crew notices a huge spacecraft flying towards them, deduces what's on-board, crashes into them and downs the alien ship- which crashes onto LV-426. Humans have time to send out a report to the Company detailing just how awesome they are, last shot is shady looking company man going "realllyyy.... *over intercom to secretary* Miss Smith, what's the closest vessel to LV-426? The Nostromo? Send them a message...."

Alternatively, the all-alien idea sounds good. The problem is how to make that into a good film and not just have the humans directly substituted for a bunch of blue-skinned, pointy-eared Star Trek rejects.

Anyway, this could be a good movie- here's hoping!

Grenade

Alien The Begining

The ship shown could have been a transport vessel for a genetically bread race of bioweapons that were in transit to a war in another part of that galaxy. Engineering fault causes the big alien crew to investigate. Queue face sucking job and they are all wiped. Managed to activate distress signal. Crash on planet. Distress signal still active after many centuries - nuclear power source. You could either tackle it before this point with pure CGI - no humans (we're still launching rockets at the moon) which could be very interesting alien on alien intergalactic space war. Or at point after crash but before mining ship Nostromo tasked to investigate queue humans and "the company".

IMHO

Alien - probably the based SiFi movie every made. As plausible and technically feasable: no teleport and breaking light barrier crap of Star Feck and no good verses bad SiFi rehash of some Zen Samuria genre of Star Wars. 2001 great but way too arti for SiFi.

Aliens - yawn obvious plot alien Vietnam. Yanks rolling in with high tech weaponns to fight an enemy they haven't a clue about but feeling superior to - loose

Alien 3 OK mostly British cast probably saved it as we are more plausble actors.

Alien 4 Lets milk this cow till it drops dead.

Thumb Up

I love Alien!!

This is great news! I've been looking forward to another installment of Alien! However I just hope they don't ruin it by just bringing out some rubbish that will just sell on the back of the success of the other films, not on it's own merit and ruins the whole set!!

Stop

ripley

The big questions will we see the android go beserk so we finally see the "i dont like androids"

If its before they find the alien - there shouldnt be any aliens.

OR will it be based on the station BEFORE ripley arrives, so we see why she has to come, and then we get to see the space station turned into a battery hen farm :P

or is it something completely different>

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

I think you are all forgetting that...

This is to be a Ridley Scott production. Like him or loath him, the one reason that he is as successful as he is is that he makes damn sure that his plotlines are true and sound.

Like most here, I'm dubious... but given that it is Ridley Scott producing/directing - I feel it has a much better chance of being a quality product.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.