back to article Windows 7 Ultimate product activation hacked?

You could get a free (and illegal) copy of Windows 7 Ultimate if reports of a leaked OEM product activation key are accurate. According to MyDigitalLife, a leaked OEM copy of Windows 7 was posted to a Chinese forum, with the OEM's key then identified and snatched. An OEM activation key will unlock multiple copies, and it's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Popular?

"I see the Lunix geeks are back"

Yeah, it's funny how on a technical website, you'll find technical people.

"Ah, the usual anti-Windows snipers appear!! "

As someone incapable of using a non-MS OS, you're very much in the minority here. Why are _you_ back?

"It doesn't matter how bad Windows gets, it's always going to be more popular than Linux."

No one I know wants or likes windows (with the exception of 1 flash dev who "quite likes windows 7" and a bunch of .NET flappers who kinda have to like it). Everyone else has windows because that's what they're used to. So ... popular? In the sense that bacteria are popular? Common would be a better word.

But you know, The Jonas Brothers are popular, the Daily Mail is popular, The OC is popular, bashing people in IT is popular, being a religious fundamentalist is popular, etc.

You stick with the crowd. I'll stick with not paying money to aggressive hyper-capitalists just because they told me to.

Anonymous Coward

Easy way to detect if the download has virii..

Microsoft have already published some of the checksums from the RTM ISO's on one of their blogs, including SHA1 (I think) hashes.

So unless Microsoft has deliberately infected the leaked ISO's all you need to do is check the checksums match the published ones.... Tools to calculate these from the downloaded file are easily obtained.

Microsoft may revoke the key but what they may do is change the checks to prevent Vista certificates being used. I don't know if the people in China just got the key or the key and certificate too so I don't know if Levono have been told to use the Vista certificate. I believe Windows 2008 uses different certificates than Vista.

FAIL

RE: I see the Linux geeks are back

Scott Mitchell wrote: "Windows 7 is fantastic - fast, smooth and easy to use like its predecessors."

I see the sarcasm - but I don't think you intended any, in which case you should be ashamed of yourself!

I've used all versions of Windows from 3 onwards and "fast and smooth" are not words I would associate with any of them. You need not think I'm saying this because I am a huge fanboi of any other OS, I've used OS2, SunOS, Solaris, SGIs version of unix, DEC unix, Lunix, HP-UX and OSX (and many many others along the way) but Windows is just awful. I know, I was a windows developer for years until I jacked it in.

Windows may be "fast and smooth" when you see it running in a shop but to keep it that way when you get home, you have to keep defragging the disk and reinstalling the bugger on a (very) regular basis. Bah. (This is what eventually prompted me to throw my PC out of a 3rd floor window directly into a skip one day)

As for "easy to use" - ha ha ha! It's getting better but only because they've nicked the best ideas from other OSs and wedged them into their bloatware. (Not that there is much room once all those viruses, malware and trojans have taken up residence but that's another story).

So what is the secret of MS success? Ensuring that as many people as possible are locked into their shite. Spreading illegal keys wouldn't surprise me in the slightest - they've used every other dodgy underhand tactic to foist their guff onto us!

Gates Horns

bit of an edit needed

Quote said

"Downloading Windows 7 from peer-to-peer Web sites is piracy, and exposes users to increased risks - such as viruses, Trojans and other malware and malicious code - that usually accompany counterfeit software. These risks can seriously harm or permanently destroy data and often expose users to identity theft and other criminal schemes," the company said

Should have said

"Installing Windows exposes users to increased risks - such as viruses, Trojans and other malware and malicious code - that usually accompany Microsoft software. These risks can seriously harm or permanently destroy data and often expose users to identity theft and other criminal schemes," the company said

C 2
Alien

@ Scott Mitchell

<quote>

In summation, Windows = WIN, Linux = FAIL

</>

HA! Tard' !

And every single Gaping security hole, and windows update = FAIL, mostly the ones that MS can't or won't fix for a year or so.

The numbers are adding up, its been 6 *years* and the updates and flaws for XP keep popping up.

Win 2000 was released with 65,000 known Issues (fault, failures whatever) MS fixed a tiny fraction of them. Then later got tired of the game and said we don't support win 2000 any more.

I can still identify bugs in Vista that I saw in Win 2000, hows that for a FAIL ?! I bet you can still find the bug that claims your profile is corrupt and keeps creating a new one for you at log on in Se7en.

Linux is *now* easier to install and use than Windows, has been for about the last 2 or 3 years. WINE is to the point it can play all the games I'm interested in. And it runs much faster on the same hardware .. why should I continue using Windows again?!

Although if you like, and some do, you have the *option* to configure Linux using a console. I have found I can do things this way that are impossible on Windows systems. Using Linux I assembled a RAID 5 array via USB when a server died, it was slow but the data was there.

This post has been deleted by its author

Flame

haha linuxfags

If you needed to keep defragging and reinstalling windows "very often," then you're doing it wrong. If you learn even the most basic things about running a windows machine, you can keep it running like a new install for years, so I suggest you guys go back to school before preaching more bs.

Windows 7 will be a huge hit despite all the FUD you morons keep posting everywhere. It's really quite lightweight, fast, runs like a dream etc, but if you do install it (or dual boot) on you uber cool crapbox...err linux box which runs on legacy hardware, it will run like shit. Even the most faggy linux OS you run on it will run like shit.

Linux will never catch on because its far too complex for the average luser, so stfu with your linux shit and stop being so damn jealous of all of Microsofts popular software.

In before some delusional fool calls me a MS shill, despite the fact I'm simply telling it as it is...

Gates Halo

Haha, look at the nerds flocking

"As someone incapable of using an non MS-OS"

Ha, I've programmed AmigaOS and X-Windows before, please don't try your "OS noob" approach with me. An OS is only as good as the applications that run on it, and there ain't many for Linux are there? You only "jacked in" working with Windows in because Visual Basic 6 was discontinued and your intelligence could not ramp up to .NET - FACT

Tell me, what native programs do you run on this Linux box of yours at home? It says a lot that you feel the need to retain WINE on your piss-poor kernel-bugged OS...

Windows 7 is fast and smooth, just like XP64 which I had previously. XP 64 was a fantastic product, not that any of you Linmongs would know as you don't touch it, right?

I don't care about Vista, I care about the fact that Linux is crap and there aren't many applications for it. There's a reason you only have 1% market share, now let me taste your salty tears!!!

Grenade

RE: Haha, look at the nerds flocking

"There's a reason you only have 1% market share, now let me taste your salty tears!!!" - for the moment. Our time will come soon. The geek shall inherit the earth. 1% today, tomorrow the world... muhwahhaa haaa haa.

Actually i've finally ditched Windows at work. I still have a VM for emergencies but i can now do 99% in Linux and its a real joy. Even my PM work i can do using OpenProj. Wine is needed for IE.... we have Microsoft CRM which funnily enough doesnt like Firefox... strange that.

And as for Windows borrowing/inventing - Windows has always been behind. The Amiga with proper multitasking and nice windows environment existed long before Windows 95... damn, even before 3.11 if i recall right. CDE existed before any version of Windows as well.

So it took MS until Vista to include transparencies on the desktop.... i had this more than 10 years ago running enlightenment on Red Hat.

Signed: A very satisfied Mint Linux 7 (Gloria) RC1 user.

Troll

Win Trolls

@ AC

"Even the most faggy linux OS you run on it will run like shit."

I may like hot sex with men, my OS certainly doesn't. "I suggest you [...] go back to school" where the you-smells and your-gays are actually considered a form of conversation.

@ Scott Mitchell

"please don't try your 'OS noob' approach with me. An OS is only as good as the applications that run on it, and there ain't many for Linux are there?"

You're at complete odds with yourself in that sentence. You know all about Linux. Except the repos it would seem.

"You only 'jacked in' working with Windows in"

No I jacked in working with windows because XP64 ran like shit on my laptop. That was the last copy of windows I used.

"because Visual Basic 6 was discontinued and your intelligence could not ramp up to .NET - "

I was smart enough to never use VB in the first place, back in the days when I was smart enough to not use Access for projects requiring a database. As for VB7 requiring considerably more intelligence than VB6 ... ? WTF?

"FACT"

Here's a fact for you. You're too fucking stupid to use CSS. That search box is what ... 4px high?

"Tell me, what native programs do you run on this Linux box of yours at home? It says a lot that you feel the need to retain WINE on your piss-poor kernel-bugged OS..."

I personally have WINE so that I can test my websites on all the low, low, low quality browsers that MS keeps producing. I'm not stupid enough to pay for an entire OS just to test a browser. Can you wrap your tiny mind around that?

"Windows 7 is fast and smooth, just like XP64 which I had previously. XP 64 was a fantastic product, not that any of you Linmongs would know as you don't touch it, right?"

See above, failtard. Tell me, does windows 7 (unlike XP and vista) actually support most of my hardware? *nix does, and I'm really not stupid enough to pay for an OS that isn't going to talk to my hardware.

Gates Halo

@linuxtards

At the end of the day, there is a reason why very few people use linux, and that's because the average user will have no idea how to install a program, compile a package, install missing dependencies etc etc.

No matter how you spin how "awesome linux is," its not popular, and never will be until it get A LOT more usable and moves away from its rigid elitism ways. The elitism sickens me and was one of the main reasons why i finally ditched linux and went back to MS.

Now back to the subject, as no where in the topic does it mention linux? Surely MS can just update WGA and prevent people hacking Win7. No doubt that it will just get hacked again, but when your products are popular, they will always be at risk of being hacked, targeted, infected etc.

FAIL

@John Dee

OK John, whats the ratio of Windows applications to Linux apps?

Who mentioned VB7?

"Here's a fact for you. You're too fucking stupid to use CSS. That search box is what ... 4px high?"

Eh??? What do you mean? I think you are confusing me with another Scott Mitchell, probably the chap who runs the 4GuysFromRolla web site.... I am Scottish, he's a yank... you FAIL . Me? I know CSS like the back of my hand, the same way you know a bloke's tadger.

As for XP64, the whole reason for using 64 bit Windows is to utilise more than 3GB of RAM (remember, earlier versions of Windows don't use all 4GB available with 32-bit addressing). If you don't have the RAM why use 64 bit? Durrrr...... FAIL

Let's be honest, Lunix is only for nerds who think they are l337. *I* am l337, but I don't need to use Linux to prove it. I don't care if Linux is a few cycles more efficient than Windows, I do know that Windows is superior for applications and I don't feel ashamed talking about it to my peers.

BTW you don't need WINE to test your browser compat, you could use browsershots.org .... or browsercam..... you should have gone to specsavers

Megaphone

Yawn

"OK John, whats the ratio of Windows applications to Linux apps?"

Do you actually think that's a useful metric? Are we including Hannah Montana fansite toolbars in this survey? Have you forgotten the *nix philosophy of not endlessly multiplying tools when you can pipe existing ones into each other? It's a philosophy you might like to try some time.

"Who mentioned VB7?"

You did. You mentioned .NET. Don't know what I'm talking about? Biggest FAIL to you then, Mr .NET dev.

"What do you mean? I think you are confusing me with another Scott Mitchell, probably the chap who runs the 4GuysFromRolla web site"

My bad. I thought two .NET asshats called Scott Mitchell was too unlikely.

"the same way you know a bloke's tadger."

I'd sincerely hope you know a bloke's tadger. Or has it fallen off through lack of use? Nice to see you coming back with a your-gay though. For what it's worth, I'm bi with a marked preference for women.

"As for XP64, the whole reason for using 64 bit Windows is to utilise more than 3GB of RAM (remember, earlier versions of Windows don't use all 4GB available with 32-bit addressing)."

Would that be windows making poor use of system resources then?

"If you don't have the RAM why use 64 bit? Durrrr...... FAIL"

What makes you think I don't have 4GB RAM? Ah, yes, you're too busy "knowing" stuff.

"Let's be honest, Lunix is only for nerds who think they are l337. "

Linux is for servers, linux is for supercomputers, linux is for netbooks, linux is for desktops, linux is for all sorts of devices, linux is for creative people, linux is for business people, linux is for my 14 year old niece and my 76 year old grandfather. Sorry, but that's the truth. When someone's there to help with the first few baby steps, people find it very easy to walk away from windows.

Windows is for my dad, because the government tells him to, and because anything else makes him panicky. Of course, as a fairly typical windows user, he is incapable of managing the system without a lot of help from technically minded people.

"*I* am l337"

Speaks for itself.

Myself, I'm Socratic, and know that I know nothing. Doesn't stop me gobbing off at wintrolls, rightards and the ranged forces of pointless asshattery, of which you seem to gunning for Commander in Chief.

"I do know that Windows is superior for applications and I don't feel ashamed talking about it to my peers."

You have fascinating peers.

"BTW you don't need WINE to test your browser compat, you could use browsershots.org .... or browsercam..... you should have gone to specsavers"

Why would I do that when I can do it instantly on my dev laptop whilst traveling (or otherwise off the grid) with full debugging info by using WINE? Seriously, never mind the your-gays, explain to me why I am such an epic fail for using the best tool for the job at hand?

You see, what I like to do is actually engage my brain.

Gates Halo

Getting back on track somewhat

Yes it works (the 'hack'), yes it's ace (Win7 Ult.) and yes I shall be buying it upon release...probably Home Premium or the family pack

I think Win7 will be a massive hit for Microsoft, it's very easy to use and runs lickety-split quick on my lappy and everything so far for me driver & s'ware wise works straight off the bat.

Anon post, cos, well it's a pirate copy innit and Bill halo because there's no animated chair throwing Monkeyboy yet is there

FAIL

Best way to prevent piracy

Listen good Micro$oft. I am about to reveal the ultimate secret against Windows piracy........

Just sell your product for a much cheaper price, you may even get the real big markets like China and India to consider purchasing your products.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/fail_32.png

FAIL

@John Dee

John, John, John.

"linux is for netbooks, linux is for desktops, linux is for all sorts of devices, linux is for creative people, linux is for business people, linux is for my 14 year old niece and my 76 year old grandfather."

Well, by the market share its probably only your niece and grandfather actually using Linux. Oh, and you.

Furthermore, applications make the OS... Linux has a dearth of quality applications, I mean OpenOffice vs Word? Gimp vs Photoshop? Blender vs 3D Studio Max... ?

You have even recognised you need Windows, hence you run it in WINE. I don't need Linux, I wouldn't let that scabby pile of crap on my pristine box.

Socratic? Is that another word for boring simpleton? You should hire yourself out to insomniacs mate, maybe you can convert some of them to Lunix (Jeff K)

Terminator

Microsoft, will you ever learn?

Microsoft got where they are today by making their software easy to um....."acquire." Then came XP and activation. I honestly put off using XP as long as possible due to the activation, and probably would have bought twice as many copies if the price was better and the activation wasn't there. I also would have owned several more computers and a lot more hardware.

Get it?

If 7comes out reasonably priced and wasn't DRMed to hell, then I'd be likely to buy more of it than just one. But to make it available in multiple tiers with the "Ultimate" edition at the top, priced like an arm and a leg, and then we have to activate and also periodically prove we're "genuine".....I don't get it.

How many people really have done the "anytime upgrade" to Vista "Ultimate?"

Better yet, how many people really see Windows Vista or 7 Ultimate as really worth it?

Microsoft should have taken a page from Google and made their software cheap and easy to access, so money would be made instead on licensing apps, vendors, API's what have you. They could have assured there would never have been a meaningful alternative in OSX or Linux, but now, ptah! Ease the grip, there, buddy. I'll only pay you for it once.

Besides, the paranoiac in me wonders if these are "real" keys or ones sent out to see where all the hackers and crackers are at.

Anonymous Coward

@ Scott

"You have even recognised you need Windows, hence you run it in WINE. I don't need Linux, I wouldn't let that scabby pile of crap on my pristine box."

Sigh. As previously stated, I need WINE because Internet Explorer can't adhere to standards (its own or anyone else's) and for no other reason.

Learn to read, parse and comprehend English. Then you can come play with the big boys.

"quality applications ['like] Word"

I've never met a windows user who thinks Word is a quality application. Never. When they're not actually typing they're just swearing at it.

"Photoshop? 3D Studio Max?"

In other words, the sort of application that 99% of the population doesn't use.

Here's an instructive lesson for you. Last week, I happened to be somewhere or other and was talking to a guy who had a major problem with his .NET web app (do bear in mind that I wasn't on that particular site with an aim to pick up work or even talk IT). In half an hour I had set up a complete linux based dev environment on one of his workstations (wot no £1000+ in software licenses!!?). Within the hour I had fixed the problem. That was roughly a week less than it took the the .NET people to fix stuff. I left the site with a nice new contract for quite a few grand.

Keep that head in the sand, pal, keep that head in the sand.

Happy

@ Anonymous Coward

Quote from Anonymous Coward (I wish they had a [quote][/quote] system like phpBB!)

"If you needed to keep defragging and reinstalling windows "very often," then you're doing it wrong. If you learn even the most basic things about running a windows machine, you can keep it running like a new install for years, so I suggest you guys go back to school before preaching more bs."

Exactly, AC. I've had my Windows Vista & XP dual boot for well over a year now, and it runs perfect. I regularly defrag, move downloaded files to a storage drive, do antispyware & AV scan/update, registry optimise and junk cleaning. I also keep the inside clean, dust free, and change my thermal paste regularly.

My system is like factory new, except it doesn't have factory bloat on it. No blue screens, slowdown, lockups or "[Program name] has stopped working" errors. It's like housekeeping. You wouldn't have piles of dirty dishes/clothes everywhere at home, or bugs and mites everywhere, would you? Some might, but I don't. I keep my computer organised, like my home.

The analogy is the same across all OS'es, they all gather clutter of some kind, and need maintenance, just not all are prone to spyware & viruses, and that is because of popularity. Windows is used by the majority, so is more profitable (so to speak) to hackers.

It's people's laziness, ignorance, and the expectation of it to "just work" that causes most software & hardware issues. I know, I've been doing computers for well over 12 years, and it's taught me the differences between all OS flavours, plus how to keep them running like new, instead of crying on a forum, "It's slow, it crashes, Microsoft is crap!". Look at yourself first, and think, "What if I took the time to find out WHY it's slow/crashy, and put it right?"

Mac OS isn't "perfect" it's just that it's engineered to work on a certain combination of hardware, thus avoiding compatibility issues, even with Windows. I like the customisability of a PC, and have the knowledge and experience to set it up and keep it running right.

Anonymous Coward

Why steal it?

For all the comments about MS activation workarounds ... Seems to me that someone sees the product as worth it to bother trying to bypass activation.

One wonders if as much effort would go into bypassing a similar anti-piracy tactic for any flavor of Linux if there was one.

Flame

Hmm..

Scott Mitchell... candidate for FoTW perhaps?

Boffin

@John Dee

From the 4GuysFromRolla page :-

<input type="text" name="IC_QueryText" style="font-size: 7pt; width: 100px; height: 16px;" vspace="0" hspace="0">

You can clearly see that the inadequate search text box is 16 pixels high! When I type in 'g' and then 'q', you cannot see which is which.

Win 7 is an offshoot of Vista, tidied up with some bugs fixed. But that leaves a lot of crap still in there. I'll stick with WinXP SP3 with WindowBlinds ($25). I got my transparencies, you get yours!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums