back to article Apple says jailbroken iPhones endanger cell towers

Apple has told the US Copyright Office that jailbroken iPhones could lead to crashed cell phone towers and drug dealers freely making anonymous phone calls. Cupertino loosed the hyperbole firehose on the Copyright Office in response to the Electronic Frontier Foundation's proposal to legalize the modification of the iPhone’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Fremma

Not only . . . but also

Has anyone else noticed how bad the weather has been since people started jailbreaking iPhones?

2. Stuart Duel
    Terminator

Get the popcorn...

...because I love a far fetched horror story.

All we need now is the Pixar animated feature complete with head-spinning drug lords and fire breathing mutant Steve Jobs.

3. Thomas 18
    Joke

fuzzy dice

Fuzzy dice undermines the overall Ferrari experience, diminishing Ferrari's design copyrights and ultimately the overall value of the car and its ecosystem (presumably dust mites and other things that live in the car).

I propose they be made illegal along with leopard print anything and underlighting.

4. k d
    Go

Wow, I want one!

Didn't know an iPhone could be so much fun!

5. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

@Giles Jones

"Why are people not complaining when Microsoft and Sony stop the mod chips? this is "jailbreaking" the console."

Umm, they DO complain. A lot. People have and do boycott both companies over this too.

"Yet if Apple do it then it's wrong and control freakery."

Yes it is. In Apple's case they don't even have the lame arguments about it being possible to use this mod for piracy -- it's PURE control freakery on Apple's part.

"iPhone owners know the score when they buy the phone."

Yes they do. I advise people against getting the IPhone when they ask me (here in the US having to use GSM doesn't help, since the CDMA networks are MUCH MUCH better). Several people I know (as well as myself) have not considered an iphone due to how locked down it is.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@Giles Jones

perhaps because this story / set of comments is about the iphone and apple's spurious claims and not chipping consoles?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Didn't you know?

Every time software is copied/hacked a pixie dies.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Why don't you....

...think of the children!

Jailbreaking these phones will introduce them to crime at a young age and before we know it, they'll all be reefer smoking hoodies with knives, ready to topple society by crashing cell-phone towers.

Oh, the humanity!

9. Scott Mckenzie

But....

all drug dealers use Crackberries, we know that....

10. Bernie 2
    Coat

Someone could crash the cell phone tower?

Nooooooooooooooooooo

Then what will ignorant people use to tell their relatives "I'M JUST ON THE TRAIN NOW I'LL BE HOME IN 20 MINUTES, NO, THE TRAIN, THE TRAIN, THE TRAIN, YEAH THE PERSON NEXT TO ME STINKS LIKE SH..."

How will society cope?

11. blackworx
    Grenade

FFS

So many untrue assumptions, not least of which is that the iPhone is "revolutionary". Newsflash Apple: your little widget is not revolutionary; it just does established things with established hardware in a slightly flashier, more self-conscious way than the competition.

12. Wize

It reminds me of the adverts...

...linking video pirates to drug dealers in the effort to stop people buying from pirates, or if you are known as someone selling copies of DVDs, then you are selling all sorts of illegal goods.

There are plenty of smart phones out there, that have been around for a long time and are more popular. Eg symbian, windows mobile.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Netowrks to Blacklist iPhone IMEI's

I'm sure the GSM standards state that vendors must take precautions to stop people reverse engineering mobile phones, the radio standards definetly do. It not just cell sites that could be affected but any radio frequency one people hack about with the radio setup config anything can happen.

Still operators should be able to spot 'em and blacklist em easy enough.

14. ratfox
    Pirate

What? Hush-A-Phone?

And you want to attach these Hush-A-Phones to OUR phones?

NEVER! NEVER!! NEVER!!!

15. Ainteenbooty
    Go

Reverse psychology

This is merely an advertisement for the iPhone disguised as a warning against all of the super fun stuff that can be done with it after it has been jail-broken.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. Julian I-Do-Stuff
    WTF?

TEOTWAWKI ?

Apple's step by step guide to Taking Over the World (R) by jailbreaking the iPhone is worthy of The Brain.

I hope the copyright office's reply is somewhat more coherent than "Narf!"

...but it's unlikely to be The End Of The World As We Know It either way.

18. Jacqui Smith's DVD Collection!
    Flame

OK Remove them from sale...

Once the iPhone OS code is made accessible by BUYING AN IPHONE, it provides an opportunity to hack the "baseband processor" (BBP) used to connect the phone to a telephone or data network.

19. Eddy Ito
    Grenade

If only outlaws use iPhones,

Then iPhones should be outlawed. It's nice when tired pseudo-logic works both ways.

"... a local or international hacker could potentially initiate commands (such as a denial of service attack) that could..." blah blah blah.

What's to stop an international hacker anyway? Does Apple understand the concept of jurisdiction, I know the US DOJ doesn't, but does Apple? What about the Copywrong Office? Gits, the lot of them.

And monkeys could potentially fly out Apple's arse.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

If they can get that argument accepted

the next "logical" argument is that owning phones which are not iPhones could wreak havoc so make that illegal.

Excellent! Bwahahahahaha!

21. Suburban Inmate
    Pint

Ref Onionman. A wiki-weilding peasant writes

By Onionman Posted Thursday 30th July 2009 08:38 GMT

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/29/apple_jailbreaking_patent_office_response/comments/#c_549347

-----------------

That was the joke/dig at apostrophe abusers, and also the usage that my English teacher drummed into me. Repeatedly. But humans are by their nature fallible, so I turned to that most infullable source...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#Singular_nouns_ending_with_an_.22s.22_or_.22z.22_sound

Shall we just call that a no-score-draw on the pedantry front? I could do with a post-match beer, since I've not had any since, err, the rather hearty ales that helped fuel the rant in question!

22. Tony Paulazzo
    Troll

Title 23

>hackers may be able to change the ECID, which in turn can enable phone calls to be made anonymously (this would be desirable to drug dealers<

and, you know, those damn pesky privacy pirates.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Weapon of Mass Inconvenience?

Since one of the first things the Good Guys do in the event of a terrorist attack is to disable public cellphone use (both to leave the airwaves clear for Offical traffic, and to stop any Bad Guys using cellphones to talk to each other), one suspects that they (the Good Guys) can selectively disconnect certain Service Providers from the cell network.

Suddenly only having a single Service Provider for your shiny new toy doesn't seem such a good idea, does it?

As has been discussed elsewhere, if you want to take out a cellphone tower, an SUV or MPV or (even more effective) a hire van filled with stuff is much easier to obtain and is far easier to apply ot the spindly little comms masts cellphone towers usually use... or better yet, just go and hijack an articulated lorry or dumper (check out the local highway for your nearest free sample)

Right, now you are all In Possessesion of Information Of Use To Terrorists, please report to the local precinct house and watch endless reruns of '24', 'The Unit', 'MacGuyver' and all four 'Die Hard' flicks...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like