Feeds

back to article Firefox 4.0 flashes lusty leg at Windows lovers

Just a few days on from teasing us about how Firefox 3.7 might eventually look, Mozilla has spun out another set of mockups – this time capturing Firefox 4.0 in the headlights. The open source browser maker has splashed colour over 4.0's location bar. It will turn green when a user starts typing, will blend with the bar when at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Happy

Tabkit

Anyone using Firefox today who wants to open lots of tabs, download the Tabkit plug-in. Instant tabs heaven (down the left-hand side rather than at the top, makes great use of a wide-screen monitor).

Maybe something like his shuld be the FF 4 default ... but there again, it's customisable, so defaults matter a lot less.

I agree...

... with what the majority are saying.

Just leave the thing alone and stop tinkering with it.

Another round of incompatible plug-ins

So I can look forward to several more occasions where my plug-ins are not compatible with

Firefox and I have to confirm my desire to have Firefox go and search for upgrades. On the other hand my plug-ins for IE7 have been carried over to IE8 with no fuss.

It does seem that Firefox is going for the title of the most annoying browser upgrades.

That said it does have some nice features such as remembering where it was when it crashed so that I do not have to open a dozen tabs manually.

WTF?

Keep chasing those IE users Mozilla, and run your product totally into the ground

More fucking shiny.

No fucking thanks!

Silver badge

@Do all you guys ever do is moan

And complain about the weather.

Anonymous Coward

It sounds almost as bad...

as stuff like flashing text on web pages. The kind of stuff 11-year-old web developers like.

How About Just Making A Better Browser?

I might use Firefox more if it was 1) fast and 2) got fonts right and antialiased them properly. These sound liek superficial changes to a browser that really needs fundamental improvements to be competative with IE and Opera.

Anonymous Coward

Firefox 3.5 performs well on memory usage

Perhaps there are studies that show the opposite. This study shows Firefox 3.5 with a lower memory footprint than Safari, Chrome and Opera. http://dotnetperls.com/chrome-memory

FAIL

Any news yet

on how much memory it will leak?

Seriously, I don't understand why anyone here that considers themselves technically minded still uses Firefox, it went off the boil a VERY long time ago.

Opera is where it's at, hell even Safari or Chrome is a better choice (if you don't mind Google knowing where you surf and what you type).

Anonymous Coward

What is it with tabs?

I remember a time when windowed graphical user interfaces were cool because they didn't force you to run all your applications in full screen. You could have more things going on at once and it was actually quite practical. Then Microsoft and Apple ruined that by putting it into people's heads that it should be natural for a window to pop to the front when activated, and out went any relationship the virtual desktop had to a physical desktop. Now most users run their apps full-screen (because thanks to the pop-to-front paradigm and apps that like to dominate the workspace you can only really have one thing going on anyway) and use the taskbar as a tab bar. Of course that becomes mighty cluttered, so to make it worse every self-respecting application includes its own sub-taskbar in the form of a tab bar, located at the other end of the screen.

Especially now that the whole web trend is to blur the line between web apps and locally run software, why is it so hard to realise that the elegant solution is merging all tab functionality into the system task bar?

Coat

Quit your whining.

This is all I hear: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.

More specifically this is what I hear: WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH, an organization which owes me no favours at all plans to make a change in its software which doesn't suit my exact requirements! HOW DARE THEY!

There are a number of browsers out there, I'm sure each of you can find one to suit your purposes. Also I'm not sure but I think releases.mozilla.org or ftp.mozilla.org lets you download old versions of firefox if you are butt hurt about newer releases.

Personally I use Chrome because the UI is clean and un-fussy and takes full advantage of the screen real estate I have available. Also, anecdotal testing (i.e. my user experience) seems to suggest faster page loading times and lower memory usage, even with a fair few tabs open. I do miss some of the Add-ons from back in my FX days but I hold out hope that more people will jump on the bandwagon and start developing for Chrome.

Mines the one with Our Internet Overlords' hand firmly in my pocket.

Thumb Down

@GaryF

Yes GaryF has hit the button on the head. Firfox uses all my memory when I use it by accident - that is why I must use the IE for my efficiency. It seem obvious to me that they are silly to use Jav for a browser - it always slow and leaks the memory as we have no way to destruct the objects.

Megaphone

tag tabs

Perhaps tabs on the left side like a dictionaries alphabetical tabs?

Megaphone

please no

lets freeze the interface as it is (@ 3.0x) as it is sober and clear enough.

Well it looks ugly...

but lets not forget... this is just a theme, no bloat should added other than a few lines of code to turn aero on when required. Other than that, it should just be using the current theme functionality. For those of you who are worried that Mozilla are focusing too much on form rather than function, I'm sure the function peoples haven't stopped what they're doing because some arty guy wants to try and make it look pretty. Hopefully someone is working on memory management, isolated processes per tab and a task manager - what's the point in looking like chrome if it doesn't do exactly the same things!?

Bronze badge
Jobs Horns

Early Learning Centre

Can everyone stop adopting all these Fisher Price interfaces. Just coz Apple did it doesn't mean we all want patronising Teletubbies bouncy icons and graphics!

Go

Tree Style Tabs - Biggest UI win since Tabs.

Tree Style Tabs & a Wide Screen - That's FF4.0 sorted then.

Grenade

Crashes

The Linux version of 3.5 (well, 3.5.2) still has a few stability issues - it doesn't like loading a YouTube video while the One & Other feed is running, and last night it decided to crash when loading a Wikipedia article...

The clearer connection between tab and page on the 'tabs below address bar' version is to be welcomed (the current four pixel stripe, of which only the central two are the same colour as the tab - so 2px effective - isn't very clear, especially if you have similarly coloured tabs), although I'm not too convinced on the same shade of translucent grey for everything - especially as it looks as though it's optimised for Windoze rather than platforms in general. How about having no 'background' colour, and allow themes to use gifs/pngs with an alpha channel, so the theme can decide how much transparency you get and where?

Anonymous Coward

Fancy stuff maybe as an option, but not mandatory.

"...why is it so hard to realise that the elegant solution is merging all tab functionality into the system task bar?"

Maybe for some people, as an option that could be turned on if desired, but not if it was mandatory.

It wouldn't work at all for me (which is why I'd want it turned off), because I auto-hide the taskbar in both XP and Linux - the taskbar only becomes visible (temporarily for a few seconds when I pass the mouse over it) only when I actually need it, mostly just as a quick occasional reminder of what other apps/windows/HDD/whatever I've got open at any given moment - easier to see it visually in one glance there instead of Alt-Tabbing through everything - although I usually do use Alt-Tab to actually switch apps.

If Firefox tabs were all on the taskbar, it would horribly compete for space with the other apps' windows/folders/HDD(several)/etc on the taskbar - no way 60 tabs + other apps' windows are going to fit there, nor should they have to. Also I would not want Firefox tabs autohiding, yet I have no intention to turn off the taskbar-autohide feature (I like it).

More space-saving: At the top of the Firefox window, I deleted the entire button bar - I never click those buttons anyway - use keyboard shortcuts instead, I mean seriously, come on, does anyone over the age of 5 actually *click* "Back" or "Home" or "Refresh" etc when keyboard shortcuts are so much easier? I also hid the bookmarks toolbar (I wrote out a quick HTML page of links for that, instead; it's easier), and the address/URL bar is on the SAME LINE as the File/Menu/etc menu things. Deleted search thingie (never use it). So there is far less space wasted at the top of the monitor. But don't EVEN think about taking away my menus! True I use keyboard shortcuts to operate the menus (I'm lazy), instead of clicking them, but I like to have them there anyway. As I said they're on the same line as the URL field, so there would be no space advantage to getting rid of them.

Of course, everyone's aware, right, that you can set Firefox's minimum tab width to less than the standard, to fit lots more tabs on screen (normal top placement), using Firefox's about:config.

I can see having the various options that other people have suggested here AS LONG AS those new options were turn-off-able ;) so that people who wanted the normal UI could use that instead, and people who wanted the fancy new cutting-edge UI could use that.

Flame

Re: Early Learning Centre (aka dumbed-down crap)

"Can everyone stop adopting all these Fisher Price interfaces. Just coz Apple did it doesn't mean we all want patronising Teletubbies bouncy icons and graphics!"

I agree completely.

Let's just hope that Apple has patented those goddamned pinstripes, lest they hopelessly infest other OSes or apps.

If Firefox or Windows or Linux ever turn up with mandatory pinstripes everywhere (shhh, don't give them any more dumb ideas than they already have), that's where they and I will part company.

<rant>The UI designers of these companies are shooting themselves in the foot with those idiotic dumbed-down designs. They're driving away serious users and pandering to the worst of the lowest common denominator. I would have got a new Mac years ago but I can't stand the apparent lack of user-configurability in OSX, so I keep the old "classic Mac" (therefore Apple is losing money from lost sales of new equipment) because the *old* OS has a calm, subdued appearance that doesn't distract from whatever work you're trying to get accomplished. The focus should be on the work you're doing, not on worthless eye candy that serves no purpose except to make you want to throw the damn thing out the window.</rant>

- user of nice old "classic Mac", modern Linux, and XP Pro, not necessarily in that order, and sometimes all at once :)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.