Feeds

back to article Wheels come off O2's data network

UK operator O2 is having data network problems that are making it impossible for most users to access the internet, as well as preventing data-based applications such as MMS. Despite initial reports that the problem was down to congestion in the London area, it now seems that the whole network is refusing to carry packet data, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Boffin

Well...............

I'm a Pay-As-You-Go customer. After i have finished rolling around the floor in histerics i think i might ring someone up ant tell them about it.

same here

Stoke-on-Trent and Barnsley both down, did wonder what was up. though I have to say, didn't exactly spend *long* wondering.

an irritant, but a minor one if its less than a day or so, if it starts to get to about a week I'd expect O2 to make a gesture of some sort, credit for extra SMS or calls maybe, something that won;t cost them much but is at least partly useful.

no SLA on this sort of account, but I'd assume business customers may be checking their contracts a bit more. but a good will gesture would be a reasonable expectation if this occurs too often or goes on too long.

but what would be seriously unexpected: a description of what the problem is, without any BS attached. if someone pulled a plug by accident *say so*, I'm more than happy to deal with a company that has occasional issues but is honest about it, and is willing to fix issues.

The day my iPhone loosing its data connection for a few hours or a couple of days is *critical* to me is the day I need to re-evaluate my life.

we managed without these things before, and until our dear leader mandates everyone must carry a mobile to allow us all to be tracked, i.e. until the day O2's network going down results in *me* being fined I'll cope.

Pint

Darker forces at work here

I think, that its actually some evil force of nature that is seriously peeved off at the complete disregard O2 has to its customer loyalty, and i forsee that as each any every one of us comes up to the end of their O2 contract and gets informed that, nope, no more loyalty discount and that free upgrade is now going to cost you £90, they too will join the dark side and leave O2s bubbles...

Stop

Huh?

worked for me all day in central london, was surfing the web several times between 2 and 4pm showing people the wonders of wikipedia :)

and got a few texts and send a few too?

Thumb Up

mobile.o2.co.uk

mobile.o2.co.uk all fine for me - non-iPhone, always used that APN.

Probaly just idata affected??

FAIL

No different to normal is it?

And there was me thinking that the usual outgoing calls failing, incoming calls going straight to voicemail, and "retro" internet speeds (if a connection can be made, it usually reminds me of the early 90s) was business as usual.

Once my 12 months of free web and wifi is up, I'm off.

Boffin

Ahh its not just me!

This afternoon my connectivity stopped working abruptly with the message "unable to activate cellular network" as others have experienced. However one of my mates also with a 3GS on Simplicity was working fine.

As some of you have found out, changing the apn settings to mobile.o2.co.uk does fix the issue. Mine was originally set to wap.o2.co.uk for everything as after lengthy experimentation this is the only apn where the tethering setting won't 'mysteriously vanish', presumably when it does some sort of eligibility check. This was confirmed when I pointed out to my mate that tethering had gone on his even though he had been using it previously.

As its some sort of network glitch ill probably change my settings back to wap.o2.co.uk when its all fixed. In case anyone is unsure about billing.., both wap and mobile appear on my itemized bill as zero charge.

Badgers

Amazing

It's responses like these that make me think that a lot of NON TECHNICAL people read the register.

Because most of these responses are so short sighted and narrow minded.

Therse in particular.

1/ Refunds - Get a life, really. People like you suck

2/ Fail - That's so Lame [sic]

3/ Anyone knocking callcentre staff, seriously, you've seen Resevior Dogs, right...You really think they give a shit, paid what they are. MD complaint, now youre talking. Get in there...

4/ Upgrade the network - as was mentioned. There's a recession on, nothing's getting upgraded.

5/ Anyone knocking o2 - No i don't work for them. But Apple chose o2 for the stability of their network. Ask anyone in national networks. Whatever o2's network is, it's stable. V******* T-***** (haha), would have all suffered this yonks ago, multiple times.

Silver badge

O2 bad for data anyway

I needed a 3G SIM (besides my T-Mob G1 contract) for a project recently, I had the pick of the networks, but no time to do any research. O2 shop lady told me their £7.50 PAYG bolt-on was "unlimited" internet. Turns out she was right, for very small values of "unlimited" - 200Megs a month is pretty weasely for "unlimited" in my book, when the same gets me 15 times more with T-Mob. The internet outage is doing you guys a favour in terms of overage costs, don't moan!

WTF?

@captain kangaroo

@captain kangaroo

"Anyone knocking o2 - No i don't work for them. But Apple chose o2 for the stability of their network. Ask anyone in national networks. Whatever o2's network is, it's stable. V******* T-***** (haha), would have all suffered this yonks ago, multiple times."

ROFL... Really? Have you never used ANY other UK network? (Hint: there are 5 UK 3G networks and O2 came last for 3G coverage (by a long way) in the recent official Ofcom survey). In addition, my own experience is that they're the only UK network to suffer from "network busy" for voice calls - not seen these on the other networks (7/7 type events being an exception) in 10+ years.

Oh right and:

1.) If I've paid for something I expect it to work. It's people like you that allow the networks to claim limited data plans as unlimited.

2.) They have.

3.) I feel pretty sorry for call centre staff, but they've got no excuse for mistreating the people that pay them (their customers).

4.) Funny, the other networks seem to still be rolling out new coverage and services.

Ironically, O2 is the one reason I would never own an iPhone. I might buy an older 3G version on Orange or Vodafone though.

Grenade

@Captain Kangaroo

So what you're suggesting, Mr Kangaroo is that only non-technical people would complain?

Perhaps that's what is wrong with this industry; the techs (and I do count myself as one) accept that products will be dire and that call centre (and probably helpdesk staff) will be unresponsive.

Well frankly, I'm disappointed in you. I demand my own staff and products and service to be impeccable. We meet and exceed our SLAs without fail, we deal with complaints or issues in a collaborative manner, without slighting our company.

As for your statement regarding the failure to upgrade a network in a recession: that's a very short-sighted view for a network that clearly does have a issue.

Anyway, you might want to rethink your view of those who you consider to not be as technical as you. You might also like to take a look at your own industry practices and wonder why everyone in your company hates the IT service that you provide...

WTF?

@me yesterday afternoon

Well i'm getting annoyed now. Outages do happen, and if it's a short while, i'm happy for it to just get fixed and nothing more be said. What's getting my goat is the poor communication from o2. Ironic isn't it.

As far as i can deduce there are two issues, which may or may not be related. The substation fire knocked out some cells in London, hence the first recorded announcement I got when I rang them- the problem was limited to London, so... I held as I'm in Lancashire to be told yes there's a problem with data, and no, we don't know when it'll be fixed. So I ring again late last night, and the message is now that they're suffering network congestion- which again doesn't explain my problem of one apn working and another not, no point holding as i don't have 24hr customer service. So more rooting about online to discover that o2 haven't commented since the end of office hours yesterday, now that's not good enough, i'm sure the network faults team work 24 hours, and even that they an eta for a fix now, shame we mere customers can't be told until el reg gets onto the press office again this morning!

Bronze badge

.Re: Openreach #

BT Engineer's use the BT Mobile MVNO which offers connections on both the Vodafone (primarily) and O2 networks. The O2 is a hangover from BT's past, but a useful one. We as a customer of BT Mobile find this useful as each network has coverage in different areas, the hardest decision is deciding whats best.

Flame

o2 = useless

Mine stopped working yesterday afternoon, thought nothing of it and left it. Tried again last night and still wasnt working. Tried wi-fi, that wouldnt work either. Did a factory reset on the phone (SE c905) and updated to latest firmware. Requested settings from O2, applied them and still no good.

Tried again this morning at work (other side of Leeds, also different wi-fi network), nothing again on 3G/HSDPA or Wi-Fi, though calls and texts are working. MMS isnt working either obviously. It's showing the HSDPA symbol to show as being connected but mobile internet just errors. Assuming my phone was b0rked, i called O2 and explained my situation

I was told there had been a fire at one of the sites yesterday lunchtime and there was nationwide outage on the GPRS/3G network. According to the woman in the call centre this will also be affecting my ability to connect to my wireless networks at home and work (yeah, right *sigh*) - after questioning why a national mobile network is brought to its knees by an incident at a single site, i was told to call back later as they cant do anything further until the network is restored. fair enough, but it still doesnt explain why my wi-fi is fudged as well, it was working yesterday morning and still is for my laptops etc.

And why does the guy with an iPhone at work still have a working 3G connection? how strange...

Thumb Down

Mostly ok

In Horwich, near Bolton, Lancs.

The mobile.o2.co.uk APN seems to be working normally here but the wap.o2.co.uk ones (WAP and streaming) are down.

This is at 10.55 on 22/07/09.

Thumb Up

O2 data problem is not very widespread

At Bango we monitor traffic across thousands of mobile sites. Hourly mobile web traffic levels are about 4-9% less than the same period last week so there may be a problem but it is not widespread.

Jobs Horns

Iphone killed the network

I've been predicting this for ages.

My O2 phone (voice and text) works ok so I don't care all that much.

If people abuse unlimited data this is the result.

Evil Steve because its all his fault.

Back again

Works for me again at 11:20. One thing is that they kept saying it was only an issue for pay monthly customers, but that's rubbish. I'm on PAYG - payandgo.o2.co.uk - and it's been down throughout.

Just after...

My friend txt me asking if I got his MMS.

I asked him to send it again, then saw this story.

Deja vu?

Unless it's just me, it seems to be happening again. Can't get data access at all despite having a strong signal.

Yep, it's down again

Looks like it's countrywide again from the forums and the O2 site is also down.

Thumb Down

Broken again?

Yup, looks dead to me...

FAIL

Hamster Died

It would appear that the hamster has died again oh well.

woz

Deja vu indeed

Yep, I've been getting the dreaded 'Could not activate cellular data network' for the last hour.

Signal strength @ 5 bars 3G, but not a dicky bird when it comes to data access.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.