back to article Engineer commits suicide after losing iPhone prototype

A Chinese engineer committed suicide after he was allegedly roughed-up by company security services when one of the iPhone 4G prototypes entrusted into his care went missing. Twenty-five-year-old Sun Danyong, a recent engineering graduate, was employed by Foxconn, manufacturer of Apple's iPhone and iPods. According to reports …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Unhappy

Poor bastard

Terrible thing to happen. Hope the guy has found some peace in the afterlife.

They suspended the security chief because that's pretty much standard procedure when a serious allegation like that is made, same as it is here in Europe.

And as for all the "Apple should sever ties with FoxConn and go somewhere else, stop dealing with China blah blah blah" people-

It's the consumer that demands low prices. If you want to have these things made by ethical companies, in ethical (by our own inflated standards anyway) countries by well-treated workers, be prepared to pay a lot of money for them.

Also, stop buying branded runners/tracksuits/any electronics/toys for your kids. Otherwise it's simple hypocrisy.

They should call the next iPhone....

... the iPhone Sun.

Pirate

@ lglethal & Apologies to sensitive people..

... £10 says they hang the chief of security out to dry......

its China, they hang em wet or dry.. for £10 you get front row seats .. and a slighly damaged Apple (it was in his back pocket..)

ps.. Apple are now confident that their new iPhone G-Force meter works and are looking for another hands-on testers (previous experience not essential

Unhappy

and if turns up shortly?

So let's say a f*cktard senior manager fiddling about in things he should leave alone moved it, or "borrowed" to show off to his bird/mates, then the poor young lad got the blame and no-one had the balls to own up, are they going to top themselves too? Don't think so, got themselves a free IPhone haven't they?

Driven to suicide for a f*cking phone, and a sh1t one at that. What is the world coming to? I always did think that the whole iPhone thing was for tw4ts.

@ Tawakalna

I just read your other anti-Apple posting on another page.

I thought then you were an idiot.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Happy

@Ascylto..

I love you too!

I can't be that much of an idiot, I didn't spunk my wedge on a silly iPhone just cos it's looks kewl down the wine bar.

Anonymous Coward

Suicide

"We don't really think it was suicide do we"

I for one wouldn't be surpised. The pressure that corporates in the far east put on their workers, the honour system and the culture all work together. This poor guy probably felt his life wasn't worth living. And all for losing a worthless lump of plastic.

The company I work for was recently bought by a Taiwanese company. I suffer this same kind of top-down soul-crushing despair every day of the week. They don't want workers, they want robots. I feel for the guy and his family, but not much more than I feel for every one of the poor bastards who has to work for these monsters.

Anonymous Coward

@ Apologies to sensitive people

First off, I think this is a tragedy, but it's a bit dumb to blame Apple or even the company without REAL facts - all anyone has to go on is hearsay, so you can only make badly funded assumptions. If he had "help" in any way I personally hope they hang the people responsible, if it was his own decision it may be worth checking out the pressure these people live under. A life for a phone is too much, plain and simple.

However, hats off to the comment "Apologies to sensitive people" - that was by far the blackest bit of humour I've come across in quite some time. Awesome, truly awesome. This is why I keep coming back..

WTF?

@David 45

"FELL"

*cough*

*cough*

"FELL"

Anyway, it's not an iTouch, it's an iSkrewU

Unhappy

@AC 21/7/2009 22:15 GMT

Let's keep in mind a couple things.

1. There are plenty of Americans on this page. I happen to be one of them. In my experience, most of us recognize a tragedy when we see one.

2. I don't judge British culture by web page comments. Please give American culture the same benefit of the doubt.

FAIL

re: on BBC

>> On the BBC write up of this it adds that Foxconn has suspended its chief of security. That doesnt sound like the sort of thing one does if the beatings were a fabricated allegation (or even if they were just believed to be a fabrication).

Sounds exactly like the sort of thing a responsible organization would do. If you are required to investigate an allegation against an employee, the responsible thing to do is suspend them on full pay. It it turns out they are guilty, you've prevented them from doing any more harm, if it turns out they are innocent they haven't lost anything (they've gained a little free holiday). Nothing unusual about this.

WTF?

sad

a poor thing to have happenned. suicide or not, someone's at fault here. my overly developed Cynic Gland says nowt will come of it.

there are enough people likely to have a stake in the acquisition of a somewhat important product prototype that it could easily have been purposefully obtained/nicked, and that certainly seems where the 'thoughts' of those involved in 'investigating' the loss process have gone. and, i suppose, what ever pressure was placed on the poor soul, he might have jumped. They do seem very serious about personal honour and such.. it may seem alien to our western values but it should not be underestimated as cause, even if some of the specifics are suspicious in origin.

@ the people pointing at apple as complicit, i'd suggest they look at the cost of production and the customer price point and turn some degree of complicity upon themselves.

also, i'm sure i've seen a number of motherboards with Foxconn component scattered about them, intel for one used to have a major fabrication deal with them for sure.. i see no less complicity there also.

i'm certainly complicit. i buy these things as cheaply as anyone.

@Apologies to sensitive people.. the polite applause in the background shall be for you, humour blacker than the inside of a cat.

condolences, as if anything on here matters..

FAIL

Spin

Look at all the spin by Apple fanboys here. In the UK, whenever a mistake is caused by a low civil servent, everyone would be gagging for Gordon Brown's head. But here, no, it is the security guard's fault. It has nothing to do with Foxconn or Apple. Yeah whatever. Bleeding hypocrites.

Apple fanbois = fail

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums