Feeds

back to article Swine flu will [enter scare words here]...

Several people in the UK have quite possibly got swine flu, but this doesn't necessarily mean the end of civilisation. Some of you might worry that the epidemic will swiftly carry away your comms services. The 'reasoning' goes something like this: the flu reaches epidemic proportions, offices close as our transport …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Stop

The internet gives you swine flu

You CAN catch swine flu from the Internet - please stay out of crowded areas.

Flame

Jesus H Christ.

Half of these comments are prime candidates for "spEak You’re bRanes". What on Earth has happened to The Register readership?

@Vaccine is an illusion: How old are you?

http://ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere.com/

Anonymous Coward

Face masks or not

I keep seeing conflicting statements about whether face masks are worthwhile. On the one habd rhe NHS says at first sight they are not, but then goes on to say that they will help in certain situations like close quarters with other person, i.e. travelling on buses, tube etc.

I bought about several thousand during bird flu crisis and have hundreds left of oukka US/EN standard masks ukfacemasks@gmail.com and the manufacturers are apparently overloaded with work at moment and running out.

Thumb Up

Not worried

I commute to work by train, so I recon I will catch swine flu at some point, its just a matter of time.

Not worried though.

As a man in, I would say, my prime I'm as well equipped to deal with it as anyone. Ok I'm not the healthiest bloke out there but I'm not about to die over the flu either.

With that in mind I don't really want the vaccine. I'll stick with my natural immunity thanks.

And the world won't end if I miss a week of work.

Anonymous Coward

Going on the underground...

...ot anywhere in London with a MASK on....with OUR secret services / police being as paranoid and trigger happy as they clearly are of late? May as well paint a fucking target on your head. LOL.... remember to take your lunch in your backpack too, just to be sure.

Attention seekers

It's funny really, I know a few people who have been ill and there's an interesting contrast.

While most people are just accepting that they're ill and it might either be a normal cold, bout of flu or even swine flu - they're not really bothered either way. However, the few real attention seekers are adamant that it's swine flu, based on the fact that they have some "flu-like symptoms".

I reckon the number of people estimated to have the illness is vastly inflated, as they're not actually testing people any more and going on peoples word.

Silver badge
Megaphone

One gets used to this

Not worried, either.

It looks like another attempt at resetting economy by making many drug making companies terribly rich with public money.

The politicos have their own motivations to push this kind of sham on us, but I won't name them here ***coughcorruptioncough***, ***coughincompetencecough***. :)

The press as always follows the way of least resistance, where usually they meet with most of their public and revenue sources.

My bet is that when this strain reaches epidemic proportions here in Europe, sometime between October and December, it will have been watered down by natural evolution and mixing with other more common strains. Those two processes will lower the mortality rate a lot.

We will end with another stockpile of Tamiflu an Vaccine, which will be kept for several years and used in the next 'Media Flu break', just before the said stockpiles spiry date.

¿Why the megaphone ? Nothing to see here. Move along! :)

Thumb Down

Anti-virals ...

Lethal. Avoid unless you absolutely have to have them.

Apart from having some quite unpleasant side effects (I shat my best jeans once), you run a real risk of developing tolerance to them and if one day you truly need them, they won't work. At all.

Like the over-prescription of antibiotics led to the evolution of resistant strains of bacteria, so the over-prescription of anti-viral drugs will lead to mutant viral strains which may be very dangerous indeed and you will have no recourse to anything that may help. Talk about shafted ...

Its flu. Bog standard flu kills hundreds of thousands (if not millions) every year. Never gets a mention. This strain has killed virtually no one. More people have been killed crossing the road or falling down the stairs.

No -- I'll take my chances and won't be getting their untested, rushed-out vaccine either.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Anti-virals ...

>Lethal.

Really?

Anonymous Coward

Not my words, either Sarah ...

Described by a biologist. Some anti-virals, ribavirin for example, is an RNA virus mutagen. And not always in a useful way.

Stop

@Not my words, either Sarah ...

Erm.... pardon?

Treatments can have side-effects, best stop taking them?

Or is this a "Drug works by stuffing up RNA in it's target... *quick google* Holy shit! I've got RNA too... PANIC!!!!" kind of arguement?

E 2

@EdwardP

Well, for one thing, a lot of disenfranchised USA right wing culture warriors seem to have shown up. You know the type: got a problem that needs thought or analysis - n/p just claim it is a gov't plot backed by the people not on the right wing of the political spectrum, add a little hate and a lot of contempt for differing views; problem solved!

L/R politics being a spectrum, there is no centre as such - if you're more right than me then I'm more left than you. Despite that we might both be to the right of Attila the Hun.

All of which makes an interesting book in this connection 'The Origins of Totalitarianism' written by Hannah Arendt.

FAIL

Dig your hands in the dirt

My sympathies to those that are already seriously ill and the flu makes it worse; these people will most likely already be in recovery so enjoy another week with your feet up.

This just goes to show how sheltered our lives have become, in both a physical and responsible reference. If people were out and about more in the "real" world, you'd already have a good resilience to the severe effects of such a thing.

In short: Overblown hype, Faith in government laughable, Drug companies find a treasure chest, Lie in bed for three days, go back to work and pretend nothing happened.

An exercise to get us placing more confidence in an unworthy government and the big corporate pocket at the general publics expense. Meanwhile you are getting distracted from a bigger cheque (money we don't have) being handed to the military for the invasion WE STARTED.

Slap yourself back to reality!

Happy

Nominative Determinism

I note with pleasure that the item on the BBC's "Breakfast" prog this morning, concerning the quarantining of BRITISH children by the authorities in Beijing, was fronted by Chris Hogg.

Alert

I'm not sure I can be arsed writing this

Oh, it looks like I can...

RE: Greg Flemming

If you want to demonstrate a confused and ill-informed point of view that shows a complete lack of knowledge in the area go right ahead, but please don't try to pass your inane dribbly ramblings as fact. It's not bog standard flu, it's a pandemic variant, if you don't possess the ability to work out what that means, please don't pretend that you do.

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

Don't panic!

I would expect people reading this to be numerate.

Death rate in healthy people from swine flu is clearly under one in 10,000, from the news to date. Maybe a lot under, if there are many people who catch it, go to bed, don't call a doc, get better, goes unreported. The risk of dying per annum from any other cause is 6 in 10,000 for M age 20 and 30 in 10,000 for M age 50. Risk of sudden heart attack death is 3 in 10,000 for M 50.

So this flu should not be high on our worry list, unless you have an underlying health problem that greatly increases your personal risk.

It is VERY infectious, so worst case is one in three of us catching it before the vaccine is universally available, and (sadly) up to 2000 deaths out of 20M cases (60M population). Plus a larger number of deaths amongst the at-risk groups.

If it mutates into something deadlier ... that's the really scary possibility, but no point worrying until it does. Hopefully we'll get a vaccine for the current strain first and it'll give some immunity against related strains.

More interestingly, there's Darwinian competition between any deadly mutant and the current mild strain if the same antibodies work against both. The mild one should win - many people stay on their feet, spreading it around, rather than collapsing and being carted off to a hospital or other isolation facility. A successful parasite is the one that does NOT often kill its host.

If the human race ever runs up against a true 50%+ killer pandemic, the medical action of last resort might be to deliberately create a less deadly strain and to artificially spread that around to out-compete the deadly one. If you want to start a conspiracy theory that this has already happened, go right ahead. (Something less dramatic might indeed have happened naturally - the initial flu outbreak in Mexico looked far worse than the subsequent pandemic strain. But that might also have been massive under-reporting of non-fatal flu because impoverished Mexican peasants can hardly afford to consult a doctor).

E 2
Linux

Screw it...

Gimme a zombie plague.

And guns.

Lots and lots of guns.

Tux because, wth, why not.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.