back to article Hollywood prepares to battle Asteroids

Universal Studios is preparing to bring Atari video game Asteroids to the big screen, despite the fact that the classic offers "no story line or fancy world-building mythology", as the Hollywood Reporter puts it. Screen grab of the original Asteroids The studio, lacking the kind of supplied narrative which made Lara Croft: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge
Happy

To be TRULY authentic...

It'll have to be shot in black and white :-D

Pint

@Brutus

Oh yeah, I can hear the theme music to the film now:

Do do do do de do dah de do dah de dah do do do do do do do do do do dooo do do do

Thumb Up

Another classic begging for a movie

Astro Chicken.

And the Oscar for best performance in a supporting role goes to...

... Asteroid 1138 Attica.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll be waiting for the Pac-Man movie

Will this do while you wait?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man_(TV_series)

Alert

@AMFM

I want to commission you to write a script for Pong. Should be more interesting then Asteroids the Movie.

We could have Tom Hanks as one of the paddles after his stunning table tennis playing in Forrest Gump, get good ol' Armie to be the other one for the obligiatory "I'll be back" when he loses and setup a sequel. Pong the Return.....

Please tell me this isnt serious, because if so I'm going to sign myself into a looney bin.

Alien

ELITE!!

Why bother with Asteroids, there's a whole galaxy (or 8) of adventures just floating around.

Or, for a more updated, open-source version, try OOLITE. There's even some brilliant fanfic based on Oolite out there that beats The Dark Wheel any day of the week...

Dammit, where's my coat with the fuzzy, slimy frogs and Alterian Poets in the pockets, and "Hoot if you love Trumbles" on the back?

Troll

re: bat on the right

wouldnt that be maggie thatcher?

Silver badge

Madness .... Man's Initial Default Intelligence State?

"Please tell me this isnt serious, because if so I'm going to sign myself into a looney bin." ... By James O'Brien Posted Friday 3rd July 2009 16:50 GMT

James,

I can only speak for myself of course, and am always serious, and it is as well to realise that there are always a lot more outside than inside the looney bin, so you may feel right at home, and be much more comfortable, here.

I wonder how many Shrinks/Opinionated Professional Listeners? find Time to Play in this Registered Space?

Alien

The Cards Trilogy

I'm waiting for the Cards Trilogy to be made.

Solitaire - The Quest to do 3 Card Turnover.

Hearts - The Queen of Spades' Revenge.

Freecell and the Trapped Ace of Frustration.

Spider Solitaire and the Suits of Doom.

Yeah, I know a trilogy is 3 films, but when has that ever stopped Hollywood?

Crap ....

I was half way finished with my screenplay based on Pong.

WTF?

How about Pong: The Movie

How about it, eh?

Pirate

The story of 1-inch adventurers

What about Ultra 3-D Pinball? Seperating the epilectic from the person who falls asleep :o

Hollywood is so SHIT

Silver badge

Re. The Cards Trilogy .... Posted Saturday 4th July 2009 12:19 GMT

Mr Bear,

That was very Mornington Crescent of you. And there everyone is, imagining IT stops Hollywood dead in her curvaceous tracks.

For the Love of a Good Gamey XSSXXXXual Script keeps Hollywood always as a Cowboy Outfit, hitting on the Punters for More with Less though ....... and that no longer computes? Certainly Arnie "I'll be Back" could do with a new Magical Mystery Formula to keep the Lights on in the Sunshine State. Something Hot to steal the Harry Limelight from Washington DC and Wall Street Hacks and Hackers/Code Crackers.

Bronze badge
Stop

@Martin49, @Tony Smith

<quote>Plus the horrendous problems of how to handle the physics of "circular space"</quote>

Physics 101:

Actually folks, the "Asteroid" universe is toroidal (i.e. doughnut-shaped): You can move from the top to the bottom (screen folds into a tube) and from side to side (tube joins up to make a "doughnut").

Happy

What, no Berzerk?

"Intruder alert! Intruder alert!"

Since George Bush is unemployed, he can play Evil Otto.

@Freecell: Trapped Ace of Frustration.

I can see Woody Allen directing this one.

Paris Hilton

Video games on the silver screen

Super Mario Brothers 1993

Wing Commander 1999

Tomb Raider 2001

Doom 2005

Paris: because I'd rather play with her

Alien

Asteroid: The Revenge

x2311 and x6574 had been friends ever since failing to coalesce into one of Jupiters moons four billion years ago. Errant orbital trajectories had sent them spinning out into the oort cloud where they had discovered their shared love of solar wind. x6574 had gone walkabout some years previously but been destroyed by Earth when it sailed too close to the blue eyed monster. x2311 was out for revenge, its planned orbital trajectory was to slingshot it round Saturn, tearing it into a thousand smaller pieces headed directly for Earth.

As acclaimed poet asteroid x8352 had once said, 'Revenge is a dish best served cold.'

Stop

What about Robotron 2084?

Robotron 2084 has ALL the ingredients for a fantastic Sci-Fi movie:

Killer robots, humans needing to be saved, and a genetically enhanced superhero.

FUCK ASTEROIDS!!!

Mind you, I remember playing asteroids in Aviemore ice rink 20+ years ago, the game creeped me out for some reason....

Bod

Time to...

Get Sean signed up. He's the real grandad of asteroid films. Oh wait, that was Meteor though (which was daft anyway as the film was about an Asteroid whereas Meteors are much smaller).

But anyway, Asteroids has been done. See the Asteroid Field scene in Empire Strikes Back. No one can top that (especially with the John Williams score).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums