back to article Owners say iPhone 3GS is a scorcher

Owners of Apple’s latest iPhone, the 3GS, have begun letting off steam online with claims that the smartphone gets hot enough to cause itself and its owners physical harm. iphone_3gs_burn This 3GS' owner claimed his super-hot phone caused burn marks on the back 3GS owners from around the globe have posted pictures and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Gold badge
Happy

@ App problem

"Does this heating begin during the use of the 'Onan' app? The one where you rub it back and forward to make it moan and groan?"

I would have thought it would be doing this with Grinder :-)

[disclaimer: I'm not into that "market" but heard Stephen Fry mention the app when on Top Gear :-)]

Thumb Up

Same with my Girlfriend!

"This word "hot"

By Anonymous Coward Posted Monday 29th June 2009 15:16 GMT

My girlfriend's always complaining about her laptop and power supplies getting dangerously hot. Whenever I check them they just seem warm. For some reason, for a certain size of device, some people seem to think that a bit of warmth implies it's going to burst into flames."

THIS!

My 1st gen iPhone...

Gets so hot after about 20 minutes of talk time. So much so that I just put it on speakerphone and use that from then on.

Shit sucks.

I'm upgrading to the new 3Gs when o2 get some damn stock back in.

Hopefully mine wont be one of the toasty ones.

No so hot.

Gets no hotter than the previous models.

I'd prefer to have the metal case of the 1st Gen anyway. Makes it much easier to hold (and less likely to crack if you drop the damn thing.

the word "hot"

To me this is when my iPhone was that hot i could not keep it touching my arm due to the amount of heat it was giving off.

I have had a replacement as the one i had would not take my password unless i kept syncing with itunes. then would only last for so long.

What is strange it only came with OS 2.2.1 installed and not OS 3.0 and starts with the 5 on the serial number...

Law
Badgers

Aircon - it's the future!

My 3G was icy cold yesterday after navigating in maps and streaming music over bluetooth for hours on end in the hot sun.... but that might just be because it's mounted on the vent and the aircon was on full blast. ;)

There is obviously a fault in the phones that heat up to the point of burning though, if nothing else I would have thought the phone would switch itself off if it had detected it's heat was above a certain level, the laptops do it, so the phones should - plus a phone doesn't heat up THAT much just using the ipod function, there's a dedicated chip for audio decoding isn't there? Even if there isn't, it takes next to nothing these days to decode music... so either he was running another application that was hammering the processor none stop, or the phone is faulty... I'd go with faulty though since some others are reporting the same thing.

This is really a symptom of a bigger problem at Apple though - Apple stays silent while users are forced to complain amongst themselves and to papers until they come out with a fix or even acknowledge the issue - which is wrong - if they only replied with a "we have reports of some users having issues with overheating phones, we are in the process of investigating and will get back to you as soon as possible" message people would be a little more forgiving, even if it's a manufacturing fault (which happens to everybody!)..... instead the silence just breeds conspiracy and guesswork which is one of Apple's most annoying features.

Makes me wonder though - I wonder if I could release an iBurn app that just heats the phone up to the point of damaging itself or the user... could sell well if you advertise it as a ticket in on settlement apple will give people if people start taking apple to court! - sell it for 99p, cheaper than doing the lottery, with better odds! :)

Gold badge

Under pillow? Fine

OK, running a *phone* under a pillow *SHOULD* be fine.

A) Phones shouldn't run that hot.

B) MP3 playback is not CPU intensive, so even if it ran hot under full load it STILL shouldn't be running hot under that use scenario.

OS3 making old IPhones run hotter? Probably it bumped up the clock speed. Apple's done this before, they will increase clock speed with an IPhone OS upgrade; people think there was some great efficiency gain in the OS while it's actually the processor running a 100mhz or so faster. Then if they get too many complaints they clock it down a bit in the next release.

Badgers

Nawwww, it's not so hot

The one I borrowed for a bit got warm. Then again so have all my various generations of iPods, and most any other device of that size - like my antique-but-quite-usable-thank-you-very-much Nokia 63xx cellphone if in use for a while.

Seems to be a non-issue to me.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums