Feeds

back to article Apple iPhone 3GS

Everyone knew that Apple was planning to unveil version 3.0 of the iPhone OS at its Worldwide Developer Conference this month. As expected, the new OS adds some long awaited features such as ‘copy and paste’, multimedia messaging (MMS) and the ability to ‘tether’ your iPhone to a laptop computer so that the notebook can share …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Happy

Will the trend lines continue?

In sense that new iPhone owners eventually become new Mac owners.

Tethering costs

To all the people who say that you are allowed to tether with other phones on O2- have you actually read the terms of your contract?

With O2, unless you have paid for the Web Max bolt on which I believe is 30 quid a month then the terms of the Web bolt on states the following:

"Data Bolt On Terms

The Web Bolt On allows you unlimited use of Telefónica O2 UK Limited's Edge/GPRS/ 3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:

in, or connected to, any other device including modems;

to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or

in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.

If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission, remove the Web Bolt On from your account or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first."

Notice the bit about "in, or connected to, any other device including modems", that's yer tethering out the window.

Flame

Prices in Hong Kong

Hong Kong is one of the few places in the world where you can buy the iPhone contract free and SIM unlocked straight from the online Apple store (no official Apple retail store in HK yet). An original iPhone 3G is currently going for HK$4488 (£355). There are no prices yet for the new iPhone 3GS models, but if they're the same as the original iPhone 3G prices, then they will be HK$5200 and HK$6400 I think (£410 and £500).

So there's the excuse you need for a holiday, but I wonder if you'd need a credit card for a local bank?

Flames because it's a bit hot here at the moment (32-38 degrees, 65-90%+ humidity)

Thumb Up

@AC, RE: Weapon of Mass Destruction

You sir, would owe me a new keyboard had I been drinking coffee!

@Filming on the underground? AC 14:10 GMT

That's a corporate guide, not for tourists etc. There's been a lot of discussion about photography on in 'public' places and, as long as you don't use flash, it's allowed.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/19/greek_photographer/

Zoom shmoom

Like the man said, if you're pictures are no good, you're not close enough.

Teather me no

LIke many readers I used to used teathering on various phones in the past, but now netwokrs are writing in "anti-teather" contracts and on my N95 on t-mob it was unreliable anyway.

I have a 3G dongle on a £15 package as I work away a lot and its good also as I work form home and my rural broadband is iffy its my DR solution, to be honest id rather be able to make calls AND use the web etc and thats a pain if teathered.

so I guess im saying that teathering is a dead thing, for both good (usability) and Bad (evil contracts) reasons.

Bronze badge

Sweet vs Queen

You were already a laughing stock when you said "play songs by Queen". The iPhone had nothing to do with it.

Jobs Horns

WANT...

...but only when it's possible to buy SIM free and you don't have to use O2 to get all the 'official' services.

Anonymous Coward

Simplicity

O2 has confirmed that its Simplicity sims do work with the PAYG models - the £20pm one-month contract has a free unlimited web usage bolt-one, gives you far more texts and minutes but exclude the free Wi-fi and visual voicemail. It terms of the overall cost (contract and cost of the phone), it's roughly the same price as a £35 contract but for most better value.

Stop

Wot still no A2DP?

The bluetooth is still crap which is a big drawback. I hate having to use a wired headset. I think I'll be waiting for the next one. There's a rumour that there'll be a surprise new iPhone for Christmas with HD OLED screen. In any case, I think I'll wait until there's an OLED screen before deciding to plump for one. That's one pricey mo fo pho. You never know, the surprise for Christmas might be scrapping the O2 deal If that happens it's bye bye O2 for me.

LS
Unhappy

Re: How

@shades:

"It looks as though the phone was tipped horizontally but the phone thought it was still vertical... Shouldn't the accelerometer automatically take care of that like it does the screen flipping? My WinMob respects the orientation I choose (albeit manually) when shooting still images or video."

I think you'll find the accelerometer did exactly that... otherwise you'd need to tilt your head in order to view the video, wouldn't you. Seems to me this (video in correct portrait orientation) is exactly what the user intended. I'm curious on how your WinMob would improve on that... really, do elaborate.

"Finally... How the hell anybody found their way around using just a map before the inclusion of a compass on the iPhone is a complete and utter mystery!"

Yes, God forbid we make incremental improvements to a function that is already perfectly useable. What are you trying to say here? It's not a matter of not being able to find your way without the map automatically orienting, it's about being able to do so more quickly with that compass function. Why the silly comments?

LS
Happy

Re: Wot still no A2DP?

@Jim Herd:

"The bluetooth is still crap which is a big drawback. I hate having to use a wired headset."

You assume too much Jim. Why all the anger when you can take a quick look at the specs.

Both the new phones and the 3G have A2DP now - the former through the free 3.0 software update and the latter out of the box.

Not bug free, unfortunately (atm you're out of luck with a Philips headset, AVRCP doesn't really work) but what is.

Anonymous Coward

Expensive Apples

lol, sounds like everyone is getting screwed over on the amount of money they have to pay to have this phone. Let alone that its made by a company who feels they must restrict any freedom of using your phone the way you want to! I think i'll laugh at the next person I see with an iphone 3g s because now I know how much they pay per month!

@ Andrew Campbell 1

Thanks for that. Tethered chocks away!

Thumb Up

@LS

I thought I had and saw no mention of it anywhere on Apple's site nor in any of the pages and pages of reviews. I now see a few mentions on a website or too so I take it back. I think I'll still wait now though and see what the next revision is like. Contract not up until November and then I'll just wait either a month until the rumoured surprise device shows up or seven months until the next WWMC. Roll on a 800x480 OLED iPhone with 64GB;). Erm, I'll take one;).

Caravans

"The boss rolled his car and caravan last month and his iPhone took a tumble out the window along the motorway"

Reminds me of that infamous Bosnian Serb leader, Karavan Stukinadic

Camera

I think people are getting hung up on the Mp for a camera. You can have all the megapixels in the world, but if the lens is crap, then it won't help. My wife's (first-gen) iPhone takes pretty decent pictures, good enough for most things. When we went to the Indianapolis 500, she took crowd shots, kid pictures, etc, with it, and it was fine. For the cars and close-ups, I had my trusty formerly-high-end Kodak which did well. (Not pro-grade, obviously, but still.)

Multitasking

@ AC 16:44 GMT

The iPhone and iPod touch DO multitask.

Phone, Mail, Safari, iPod continue running in the background, in some fashion, memory permitting. And how else could you continue listening to music while using another app?

What the iPhone doesn’t allow is background processing for third-party apps.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.