back to article Microsoft cries foul over Google Outlookware

Update: This story has been updated to include comment from Microsoft and better represent the dispute If you install Google's new Redmond-battling Outlook plug-in, it automatically disables Microsoft's Windows desktop search service. And Microsoft is peeved. Last week, as part of its ongoing effort to destroy Microsoft …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Jimbo 7

to @Mike Barton

"Jimbo 7 you crack me up.. The indexing service is one of the many services I disable on any Windows machine. I will be interested to see how many services need turning off in Win7."

You can disable anything you want, thats your choice no matter if it is XP, Vista or 7. This is really not the point here, yes you might not like the service, it still does not mean that other software company disables it without you being notified. That is BS. I use MS Search and actually like it more than Google Desktop Search (yes I tried both for a while) because the query result is presented in much easier to work with format.

2. Inachu
    Thumb Up

Grrrr!

I am so livid about Windows Desktop search!

I have a Quadcore pc with 3 gigs of ram and tried WDS and it slows the pc down by 30%!!!!

I call that EVIL!

I do not even like Google desktop search tool as it does the same thing and slows my pc down.

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Flame

An emerging trend...

First we had the Firefox add-in that attacked its rival. Then we had the Microsoft add-in that broke Firefox. Now we have the Google add-in that breaks Outlook. (And quite a long time ago we had the Sony rootkit debacle.)

What's the position of the AV vendors on this? Do any of these products detect that there is software on your system that (maliciously or otherwise) has an unauthorised harmful effect on your system? Are any of them pointing the finger at these malware merchants?

Thought not, and they can hardly complain that this is obscure software or that it has only recently been discovered. Their raison-d'etre is responding to new threats, before they become widespread. No, the truth is that AV software doesn't protect you against the real threat to your computer -- programmers who think *they* own the machine, not you.

4. muttley
    Stop

Hysterical FUD, nothing gets broken...

Type your search string into your google apps-savaged Outlook search box and whack the enter key - and within a couple of seconds the results are returned. I'm not missing instant search here.

It is actually a pretty impressive achievement from google (aside from the continuous sync errors being returned during the initial mail sync - which can take a little while with a decade of .pst to upload lol). It's hardly surprising that MS are worried.

And what's wrong with Windows search on Vista anyway - it is blindingly fast and does what it is supposed to? Only a 'tard would get annoyed by a MS product actually working.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Competition is good...

Sheesh Microsoft, scared of ya little olde Exchange eh. It doesn't do anything more than email... ahhhahhahdhdhhdhahahahha. Godda love competition...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

all the commentards that say MS did it first

and my Dad's bigger than yours

7. northern monkey

@AC

"Remember WordPerfect?"

Yes, somewhere I still have a keyboard with all the lettering on the function keys worn away.

8. Jwalk
    Stop

Why does everbody trust Google???

I´m sorry, i can not accept, that a google application kills my instant search and the only thing Google recommends is, to install Google Desktop Search to handle that problem. That is ridiculous. I just can lough about something like that.

Another problem i see with google is the data protection. I can not trust google about something like that!!! And i don´t want google to know everything of me (maybe they do anyway).

No company in our world releases software/tools/anything for free (Google included). This is a fact.

For doing searches in Outlook i can recommend Lookout (only Outlook 2003), or a similar tool called Lookeen (works with Outlook 03/07). These tools are doing a great job and they won´t kill your Computer and, for me essential, they are confidential.

9. Chika
    FAIL

@Jwalk

Heh. No, not everybody trusts Google. But then I don't really trust either side.

As for the guy that earlier stated that it was "his" computer, it strikes me that he/she/it hasn't read the small print in the EULA recently! Unless, of course, said user wants to try their hand at writing their own OS...

Oooo, look! New piccies!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like