back to article One millionth English 'word' is... Web 2.0

It's official: The one millionth English "word" is "Web 2.0", which secured the the crown earlier today, beating "Jai Ho!"*, "n00b" and "Slumdog" in the race to linguistic glory in the process. That's according to the Global Language Monitor, which was uncannily able to predict back in May the exact moment this milestone would …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Luke 2
    Paris Hilton

TWATDANGLE???

Surely the real question should be when will our beloved Twatdangle be added to this list??

Maybe it will be word 1,696,969?

Paris because... well no reason needed

2. tiggertaebo
    Coat

who pays this guys wages?

you'd think a linguist (cunning or otherwise) would know the difference between a "word" and a "phrase"

*sigh*

the phrase Web 2.0 already makes me want to go on a mission to re-educate people with a taser - now I also feel the need to leave a time capsule apologising to future civilisations and to try and convince them that we weren't all feckless morons.

Mine's the one with the one with the Texas PD - issue taser in the pocket.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So,,,,

Is 'Git Wizard' a word..... you just know who it means....

4. Nostromo

Lazy journos at El Reg get pwned shock...

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=972

5. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Lazy journos at El Reg get pwned shock...

Ahem.

"And before you lot start protesting at Global Language Monitor's millionth word count, we're fully aware that linguists of weight have dismissed the whole thing as a load of old cobblers."

What we do need a new word or phrase for is the act of allowing a comment through so as to provoke a hail of RTFA derision and suchlike from the other commentards. To thrungle? To collosseum?

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Thumb Down

I don't understand.

Exactly how many words for "bollocks" do they think we need in the sodding language anyway?

7. whitespacephil
    Boffin

A puppy for everyone in 280 years?

I don't recall Obama promising a puppy for everyone in 280 years. Did I miss something or is my maths rubbish?

8. Col

Re Sarah B

To trollbait. You seem to be a past master. Sorry, mistress.

...hmm...sorry mistress...

9. Dave Bell

Try counting

If a word needs 25,000 uses, and Google shows over 5,000,000 hits, it;s not just the n00bs who will wonder how this was worked out.

10. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re Sarah B

I never stoop to trollbait. I merely dispense mob justice by proxy.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sara

... but I thought "moderatrix" was already in popular use?

As in, "I'll just moderatrix this and see what the response is."

12. Lost in India
    Paris Hilton

@Sooty

From the department of the bloody obvious. English has nicked from hindi, as from every other language you have come in contact with (as we all do). From avatar, bandana, bangle, chit, cot, bungalow to sentry, shampoo, thug and toddy.

If you should purge all words not from "Celts, Anglo-Saxons, Danes, Norse and closely related kindred peoples" you would get a very short dictionary indeed. Oh..they are all Indo-European languages? Ok, let’s stick to grunts then.

The Paris connection? Kama Sutra obviously.

13. jake Silver badge

@Sarah

"What we do need a new word or phrase for is the act of allowing a comment through so as to provoke a hail of RTFA derision and suchlike from the other commentards. To thrungle? To collosseum?"

In this context, the obvious would be "to nostromo" ... ICBW ;-)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Total ballcocks

There's nothing "official" about it! No dictionary, manual, quasi-governmental body, dubious 'committee' or even anonymous bureaucrat has the authority to declare what is and what is not an English word. That privilege belongs solely to native speakers of the language, and that includes me and, most likely, you.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More new words desperately needed

Sounds like a ploy to sell updated dictionaries to me. So here's a few to help 'em along.

Computter - Antiquated PC used to knock golf balls through holes in the floor

Purrrinter - Peripheral device used as a resting place by cats

Cereal Sniper - Person who knocks boxes from the shelves in supermarkets

Java the Hutt - Lead developer who insists on using 12 lines of code instead of 5 (in a different language)

Acadaemic - Person who beleives they know best but rarely do

Maniac Miner - DB admin who's been around since the early 80's

Frankingstein - Ugly dude who works in the post room

Imparsonator - Regular person who dresses like the clergy for reasons unknown but may involve young boys

I could go on but its friday and nearly home time too :)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

What does Tony 2.0'Reilly have to say?

What does Tony 2.0'Reilly have to say about this? Web2.0®© is his trademark after all, so you can't even say its a phrase.

17. Damien Thorn
    Paris Hilton

1m +1

pwnd.

Paris - words dont matter to her, actions speak louder than words.

18. Witty username

Hoon

Hoon, or Hooning, is also a accepted term for going out for a, ahem, spirited drive in/on your prefered form of transport (car/bike etc).

well, it is on Pistonheads anyway

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.