back to article 12 of the best... mice

Mice are probably the most common peripheral in the computing world and any old one should perform the basic function required of it with a reasonable degree of competency. But which is the best? Which takes the concept of the mouse just that little bit further and pushes the proverbial envelope? Which indulges in a spot blue …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

wtf where the hell are the logitech mice !

What about the G15 series ??

personally for money and performance the MX Series Is the best i can think of !

cant stand wireless mice tbh

even just using one in the office is driving me nuts

Unhappy

Meese (well, trackballs really)

Why oh why have Microsoft stop making trackballs?

I need to replace mine, but closest thing I can get is the Logitech one which just doesn't feel right.

Dead Vulture

Still can't beat the...

MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0.

Others must think so as well considering MS brought it back from the dead.

Boffin

WOT? No Arc Mouse

I'd be the last person to sing the praises of Microsoft, but their Arc mouse is pretty much the ideal laptop/notebook wireless mouse (if you typically use your laptop at a desk/table and do mouse heavy work on it) , imho.

The integrated, magnetic USB dongle hold incorporated in the folding "tail" is inspired. As is the folding "tail" itself. When folded, the mouse s about 60% of it's "full" size and is switched OFF, preserving the life of the regular AAA batteries that it takes.

When fully opened it's not much smaller than a typical desktop mouse, but due to the "arc" form factor, it is much lighter.

Not a great desktop mouse, but as a laptop mouse it doesn't suffer from the "too small to be comfortable for extended periods" problem that most such devices do, whilst still being small enough to be tossed in a bag or even in a pocket when you are moving from one location to another with your laptop.

The only way it could be improved for me would be if it were to be a BlueTooth device rather than requiring a USB dongle. But my biggest gripe with dongles is keeping them together with the mouse itself, and the neat magnetic caddy in this one mitigates that to a large extent.

Anonymous Coward

@ Andrew

>Bring Back ...

> ... the Microsoft Trackball Explorer.

>OK, so you had to be right-handed but the ball was finger operated which is/was unique.

The Logitech Marble Mouse is also finger operated and its symmetrical design makes it usable by southpaws. Only drawback is no scroll wheel, otherwise it would be perfect.

That being said I've had mine for many years and don't miss the lack of scroll wheel all that much.

Go

Survey?

What do IT folk actually USE? Myself, plain ol' cordless Logitech mouse with scroll wheel and an extra button that I set to minimize windows. Similar mouse at work. How fancy do you need to be?

Si
Unhappy

MX Revolution

I still swear by my Logitech MX Revolution because of the SmartShift feature it has on the scroll wheel.

Scroll the wheel quickly and it automatically unlocks itself to free-wheel mode allowing you to scroll through large screens of code very quickly. Then when you stop the spinning it re-locks itself to give you the normal clicking movement on a wheel for precision scrolling.

Apparently Logitech aren't putting this on any of their new mice, requiring a manual pressing in of the wheel to switch it to free movement or back again, which is not what I'd want (as middle click is used to close tabs for me). Hopefully eBay will keep me supplied with MX Revolutions when my current one's built-in battery dies!

@ MS trackballs Vs Logitech

My first trackball was a logitech marble mouse and it's fantastic. They still make them now (but with an extra two buttons). My only gripe was a lack of a scroll wheel. The ball's finger controlled, the ms trackball explorer definitely ISN'T unique. I used one again recently and I was surprised how comfy and effortless it was to use (given that I'm used to using a trackball, I suppose). Certainly tempted me to scrap my current mouse.

I actually picked up a MS trackball explorer a few years back and it was awful. The buttons felt flimsy and didn't line up with my fingers correctly so it spent most of it's life unused in a box. Maybe it's just what I was used to, but the quality of the buttons/smoothness of the ball was far superior on the logitech marble.

Idealy I'd want the Logitech Cordless Optical TrackMan (finger controlled ball + scroll wheel) but I refuse to pay for a cordless trackball, surely that's the daftest use of wireless technology yet?

Thumb Up

I still love my microsoft 6000 mouse.

Light, plenty of features and high quality laser.

@You missed the Razer Lachesis.

Agreed, would have to say Razer make the best mice I have ever used. And the Lachesis is top pick for me. Left & right handed, and available in your choice of glow! (as long as you like red, green or blue)

Silver badge

L/R switch?

How about (any) mouse with a switch to change the buttons from LH to RH? Some operating systems are VERY BAD at easy, rapid and CONSISTENT changeover when you change the handedness of the mouse. Mentioning no names, Microsoft, who also seem to think that when I remote desktop to a server that for some reason my personal kb layout needs to be installed on the target.

Re: We all have favourites

“Mine is a logitech blue media mouse…”

I have one like that (MIkomi/Argos), though it's wired. Works nicely.

That VerticalMouse, though, seems to me to be made for people with more than the usual number of fingers… safe to say that I don't intend to buy one of them. (I started out with Acorn-supplied three-button mice, so three fingers on top of your common or mat-top mouse seems Right and Proper, and two is Plain Wrong.)

Alert

a title

I like the MS 6000 laser mouses with cable.. best mouse I've used in the last 5 years.. but difficult to find..

I also use a conexion space-explorer, nifty tool but not really a mouse, the problem is the better versions with buttons are too expensive for the hobby user, so it doesn't work as you are always reaching for the keyboard! don't bother with it. 30%

Thumb Up

Late to the party, but...

I've had one of the 3M "joystick" mice for about 3 years, and it is utterly fantastic. I used to whinge and whine about pain and discomfort in my forearms, and it went away after a few weeks of discomfort in my shoulders (which this mouse creates as you change mouse methodology, but goes away as they learn how to move).

I was also single, and I'm now married to a 20-something blonde Swedish pilates teacher, just because of the mouse.

OK, the last bit is made up. But it's still a life-changing device IMO.

Thumb Up

Logitech value optical mouse, 5.99 from PC World

I was very impressed with the Logitech Value optical mouse. Standard sort of thing - two buttons plus clickable scroll wheel. USB with PS/2 adapter. The scroll wheel doesn't stick and get accidentally clicked when you scroll, unlike my more expensive one at work. 5.99 from PC World (collect at store).

Stop

I'll stick with my Logitech G5, thank you...

I am a south paw, and the G5, despite being right-handed-assimetric, suits me fine, thank you. Not to mention being 2000 dpi on-the-fly switchable. Too bad I won´t ever use those weight sets, it is too heavy as it is.

Re: Bloody right-handed things!

Jon,

Left handed people are mutants, society is out to kill you (the heart is on the left for a reason), take the hint, hide your defect by using your right hand instead.

Beat children that try to be left handed, it's for their own good.

Targus

It seems to me that Targus have missed a trick with they're mouse -

If the cradle had a mini-usb A plug on the cradle, the mouse could mate

with this for ease of charging.

Also, why did they only put the USB A sockets on one side?

Thumb Up

Microsoft Trackball Explorer

@Andrew. I agree with you about the Microsoft Trackball Explorer. I've got a spare should the one on my desk ever die (currently using it with a Mac), because I'd be completely lost without it.

The trackball 'ball' controlled by the index/middle fingers is way more controllable than the types where the thumb is used. I experienced RSI, and my first Logitech trackball 'thumb ball' mouse made matters worse with my thumb hovering and wobbling around under strain. 'Twas horrible.

Silver badge

microsoft mice wheels..

Latest batch have no detent on them, the wheel spins freely, utter shite for any sort of game where the wheel is configured, for example, to switch or scroll through your weapons or inventory. Took mine back and i had paid 80 quid for a KB mouse combo.. Logitech here i come..

Thumb Up

Mogo point of order

The MOGO is an excellent mouse, but mine has started acting up. The left mouse button has semi died and is almost unusable. The cause? Gaming. I have taken the mouse around-the-world with me, through jungles, across deserts and the only thing that damaged it was playing Mount & Blade in the evenings!

Regards,

Basho

www.outsideconext.com

Logi G5

The G5 is fantastic, especially when combined with a good pad. The biggest advantage for me over the MX mice is the non-teflon feet which are still gliding perfectly after two years of use. There are 3 possible dpi switch levels controlled by a button above the scroll wheel, but they're programmable with SetPoint, as is the sensitivity on each axis. The scroll wheel has nice subtle notching, not stupidly heavy clicks on it, but nice gentle scrolling that lets you know when you hit the next notch. This makes it difficult for me to use the middle button but I've always found that difficult since they started putting scroll wheels on them. Other than that, the rock function of the scroll wheel (you can move it left and right to move pages left and right) is a welcome addition, and if you're into gaming and can be arsed spending a little time on it, the weighting system can actually make a difference. Mine's a little tuned, but to be honest, I just set it up to be the same weight as my MX500 was and went from there. Buttons still click perfectly after a couple years use, and it's also incredibly comfy.

Alien

What happened to Logitech G9??

My favourite, it turned out that gamer mice solved my RSI problems... :)

Alert

Five buttons on a Mac

I've got a five-button Microsoft mouse connected to my Mac and all five buttons work without hassle. I've assigned the extra three buttons to activate Exposé - it's the future!

Also, "Window's users"?

Heart

Euroffice sell 3M mouse for 30 quid!

I got one of the 3M joystick-like mice today. I hurt my wrist ages ago and it still gets sore on the odd occassion, so a RSI-reducing mouse like this is a Godsend.

First impressions? I thought "WTF!" on first using it, I couldn't select anything, errant clicks, there's no mousewheel button, and it tended to move itself now and again (my hasty wiring) but after an hour or 2 let me tell you I think it's going to be the best mouse I ever had. FOR WORK.

Don't buy it for games or pixel art, there's no way in hell this is accurate enough for pixel-perfect shooting or Paint.NET/GIMP etc (then again, maybe in a month I'll be a ninja with the mouse and I'll regret saying it, but tbh I can't see how you can get perfect lateral movement with this guy due to the way you hold it)

But if you spend 8 hours a day in an office typing and working with the mouse most of the time, like me (lots of Visual Studio windows to swap through) then I would recommend this bad boy.

PS: it also looks extremely cool. My wife likes it! (the mouse I mean.)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums