Feeds

back to article Wacky Jacqui defends Michael Savage ban

The home secretary Jacqui Smith yesterday faced an indignant Tory MP, who described her decision to ban US shock-jock Michael Savage from darkening the UK's shores as 'ludicrous'. Smith recently included Savage on a "name-and-shame" list of 16 undesirables not welcome in this Sceptr'd Isle, which also included a Russian skinhead …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Stop

@Tim J

What utter bollocks.

MPs expense staff to do that sort of boring shit for them, so they can skive off to go on shopping trips, meals and nice hotel breaks with stolen money.

Do you actually think that when you write a letter to your MP it's themselves that reply?

You naive jerk.

Bronze badge

@AC

"Wouldn mind sending her to GitMo"

Haven't the American troops at GitMo suffered enough?

Gummer is right for once

The signs at Heathrow are high-handed and self-promoting. I don't want to read cant about UK Borders protecting me and to be challenged by people in nylon paramilitary uniforms. I want to be asked nicely to present the evidence of my right to enter by people in civilian clothing.

Bronze badge

@Anonymous Coward

I'll grant you that Hardy has an intellect, but spewing hatred is spewing hatred. In fact, it should be less tolerable from an intellectual mind, because they should really know better.

@kain preacher

<QUOTE>@matt

Show me proof that Obama was involved. Ps your opinion does not count for much since you clearly hate Obama . </QUOTE>

For a Kook such conclusions as he reaches are axiomatic and providing proof for them would just be a waste of his kooking time. Its heartening to see a few budding Kooks present in the El Reg comments (Is Jeremy Hardy really comparable???). Its getting just like UseNet in here.

Just to play Matt's game for a while; If it really were Obama and Hilary behind this then why the hell did they choose Michael Savage? Savage is a 2nd or 3rd division ranter and rarely gets much attention in the media other than on his own show. There are far bigger and more prominent targets who would have made much better choices. Rush Limbaugh is the obvious choice and that would really have caused a lot of fun and jollity. But they chose Savage?

What a Hoot!

IT Angle

Hmm, lessons on freedom from the *Tories*???

Aren't they the ones who called Nelson Mandela a "terrorist"? AFAIK some of them still do. I don't think I'll be taking any lessons in "freedom" from them. If we can keep hate-mongers out of the UK then so much the better, we have enough of our own ta.

Anyway, wasn't Louis Farrakhan banned from visiting the UK when the Tories were last in power?

Such short memories.

Flame

Give the gobshite the all-clear.

.. Then detain the lump of sputum at the border for as long as they can get away with it for "background checks", rape his electronic gear and blackberry, then "render" him with fanfare to a rural airport in friendly country like Pakistan, see how he likes it.

If I wasn't a peace-loving sort, I'd want to personally kick the little sod in the nuts first.

Flame

I earned my expenses by...

>at least shes earning those expenses with this decision<

Wow, at my last job, my expenses basically covered business cost incurred by myself. basically, if I put fuel in the van, the company would reimburse me, they called this 'expenses'. In no way did I 'earn' those expenses.

>And as for the arguement of avoiding giving aditional publicity to this little jewish extremist matters little either when has no outlet here<

http://michaelsavage.wnd.com/

I never heard of the guy until all this free publicity, now finally, I too can learn to hate (or, like, whatever he preaches).

@AC 19:55

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist my anonymous friend.

Nelson Mandela was head of the ANC's military wing, which was responsible for an awful lot of deaths and - however things may have been repainted since - did not limit it's targets to military ones.

It is true that they were rebelling against a genuinely oppressive regime, but in doing so they killed a lot of people along the way. You could argue that the end justified the means and that he only resorted to violence when all non-violent means had failed, but that's all a matter of perception.

Gerry Adams and Martin McGuiness are viewed simply as politicians by most nowadays, but to some in Ireland they will always be heros, while to many over here they will always be terrorists.

The media likes to give us heroes and villains. Black and white. The truth is almost always more complicated.

Silver badge

Hipocracy so pure it's beautiful

"Coming to the UK is a privilege. I refuse to extend that privilege to individuals who abuse our standards and values to undermine our way of life."

Epic.

How can she not see what's wrong with that statement?

Anonymous Coward

Farakhan

If we are going to ban black racists that stir up hatred then we also have to ban (non resident) white racists. Sounds fair to me.

@AC 13:44 - nice point until you became anti-semetic

Boffin

Wouldn't it have been better...

...to have kept the list SEEKRIT? Then, in the event of a twat like Savage trying to gain admission to BRITAIN, he could have been quietly told to bugger off at immigration, thereby causing him to waste a metric fuckton of money on his (hopefully non-refundable) plane ticket.

Silver badge

Stop bitching, people ..

Get off your arses & FUCKING VOTE!

Furffu!

IT Angle

@AC and Freedom of speech

Hmm, how can you claim that Wackies freedom of speech and mine are in any way equal? She has freedom of speech as an individual but not (or certainly shouldn't have) as a minister, it is her job to do what is best for the country within limits and boundaries that we as the voting public decide is acceptable. Unfortunately she (along with the rest of the governement cabel) has, in my opinion, completely abanded all pretext of representing the people. In all seriousness can somebody tell me the difference between a police state and the UK?

They can get away with this because the British public are largely apathetic, no amount of bitching on forums will change this, nor will the abysmally low voter turnouts; don't for one minute assume that the next government will change any of this or that replacing Jacqui would somehow make everything right, it won't.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

@jake - just vote!

No I won't vote for the next best thing that might just about cover my views!!!

I don't vote, that way I can complain all I like as I didn't put XYZ in power!!

Anonymous Coward

@jake

"Get off your arses & FUCKING VOTE!"

we can't because they are ignoring the people they claim to represent and refusing to call a general election until such time as the police are allowed to observe you marking your ballot paper "to prevent terrorism in the voting booth"

Pirate

Minion II

Jacki, you ain't wacki! Any hatemonger such as Savage should be banned from life for life. A person who exhibits traits of a hatemonger is a waste of skin.

A mighty step forarwd for womens equality!

Jacqui has long since proven that she is the equal of male ministers. There is no male minister who has demonstrated more arrogance and irrationality than her - that is for certain. Once again we get her whims dressed up as a moral crusade. Put aside justice or common sense, she knows in her heart she is right and damn truth or credible evidence, she's going to do what she wants.

Silver badge
Happy

RE: kain preacher

"Show me proof that Obama was involved...." Instead, why don't you try and provide even the thinnest of reasons as to how Mr Savage, a complete unknown in this country, could otherwise have come to Whacki's and Broooon's attention. Not holding my breath.....

".....Ps your opinion does not count for much since you clearly hate Obama ." Hmmmm, looks like you think your opinion counts because you obviously think like our fascist Whacki Jacqui. Or is it that you simply hold Prez Obambi in such holy regard you believe anyone that would speak against him should immediately be disregarded, no matter what they say? Bet you were a real champ in the old school debates, no? I'm guessing you were the kind of sucker that pointed to Clinton and said; "See, he didn't inhale, and I believe him when he said he didn't have sex with that woman!"

Whacki Jacqui should move to the States and join the Dummiecrats - with such highly-objective voters such as yourself she could be POTUS in no time!

Flame

@AC 08:10 from AC 13:44

Dick.

You are getting Israelis and Jews confused again. Your ignorance is what allows these people to carry on doing what they are doing, nobody dare speak out against the Israelis for fear of being branded anti-semitic; not all Israelis are Jews and not all Jews are Israelis.

Jews are a people who follow a religion, this is something that I have no problem with. Israelis are a people who have invaded another country and annexed it for themselves, repressed and murdered many of the Palestinian population and are guilty of xenophobia, racism and a modicum of genocide. Some of the Israelis happen to also be Jews (although it's arguable as to whether they are truly the chosen people or just Russians and Europeans masquerading as Jews in order to get Israeli passports). I do not hate Jews, so therefore I am not anti-semitic, I just hate what a small bunch of people, some of whom are Jews, have done in Israel.

Bronze badge

hmm hate speach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA_mLDe8Zz8&feature=channel

Silver badge

@The Fuzzy Wotnot; @AC 12:34

Fuzzy scrive: "No I won't vote for the next best thing that might just about cover my views!!!"

A journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step ...

Fuzzy again: "I don't vote, that way I can complain all I like as I didn't put XYZ in power!!"

Other way around. If you didn't vote, you're part of the silent majority that allowed the winner into power. If you don't care enough to vote, your opinion is meaningless. I speak as someone who has many friends who failed to vote against GWBush's handlers second term. It's the non-voters who are the problem.

AC: "we can't because they are ignoring the people they claim to represent and refusing to call a general election until such time as the police are allowed to observe you marking your ballot paper "to prevent terrorism in the voting booth""

Wallow in your misery, or begin to dig your way out before it is too late. Your collective choice. I'm hoping the US has finally seen sense, but I'm not holding my breath ...

BTW, there are no terrorists. Terrorists are weapons of mass distraction.

Bronze badge

@matt

All I asked was for proof.

"obviously think like our fascist Whacki Jacqui. Or is it that you simply hold Prez Obambi in such holy regard you believe anyone that would speak against him should immediately be disregarded, no matter what they say?"

Were did I say I agreed with here ?? If you disagree with the president fine, but when you start calling him obamid instead of point out why you disagree with him , it makes you look silly.

For the record I think its sill she didn't let him in .

Please so me proof that Obama was behind this. Is that to much to ask for ? One might infer that is, since you are name calling .

If I'm wrong I will admitted. Show me proof instead trying presume what I believe. Here is a hint. I'm NRA.

Silver badge

@AC 13:44

"Anyone with an israeli passport...

...turn them away at the door because we don't want it here."

Really? Since I'm Jewish and both support Israel and think it's an actual country, I guess that means you'd like me to stay out too. And a fair majority of the rest of us feel the same way. Why not just include 'Jews' on your list, then? Sounds reasonable. Right? Jews, terrorists, and preachers of hate.

As Windows XP would say, "One of your opinions may have a problem and needs to be checked for consistency."

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.