back to article Conservative US shock-jock to sue Wacky Jacqui

Controversial US DJ Michael Savage has loudly declared he will sue UK home secretary Jacqui Smith after appearing on a "banned list" of 22 people unwelcome in Britain for "fostering extremism or hate", as the BBC puts it. Savage, described as "conservative", objects strongly to finding himself alongside two members of a Russian …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

First amendment issues?

He's not allowed in the UK, which, as far as I know, is outside the jurisdiction of the US Constitution. Of course, if you wanted to take him, we'd be glad to be rid of the asshole. We'd take Madonna back in exchange, even.

Paris Hilton

Mwahahahaha

Savage has threatened to deploy "top First Amendment attorneys" to represent him "in a major international case".

Yep. As if their learned legal arguments mean a flying fuc*k in Britain.

...major international nutcase, more like....

The man's a self-confessed player of the pink piccolo. (Paris, natch!)

Why bother warning people?

When it comes to loudmouth bigots, surely it's more fun to let them travel here, and then just send them back once they've landed?

Flame

2p worth

England prevails

Anonymous Coward

I've got a little list...

Not a comment on this particular case but...

I find something depressing that HM Gov's reaction to failing schools / hospitals / paedophiles / tax evaders / shock-jock DJs / whatever, is to "name and shame" by publishing lists.

As if that was the proper business of government, or likely to achieve anything except sensational headlines.

Gold badge

Shock jocks, plus the final 6

"The guy sounds like a Grade A right-wing nutjob (after all anyone that describes our borderline-fascist Home Secretary a 'liberal' is obviously several books short of a bonfire). Everything I have read about him seems to indicate that he is a decidedly unpleasant and frankly deluded individual."

He may just SOUND like one though -- shock jocks (for those who don't know) make their money, well, trying to shock the audience, and generally sounding like a big horse's ass in the process. Some are perhaps dicks in real life but some just play it up on the air and are likely totally normal.

Here's my guess on the "final 6":

1) Buzz Killington

2) I.P. Freely

3) Amanda Huginkiss

4) I.C. Wiener

5) Busty St. Claire (and the aliases, Busty Larue & Hooty McBoob).

6) "Your mom"

Happy

AC @ 15:35 GMT

Your comment was forged in pure 100% Win. That is all, really.

too right

So millions of right wing americans are going to boycott the UK? Two wrongs can make things right.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

The "shock jock" in American context

You have to view someone like Savage in the American context. I can guarantee you that he knows that he can get the all the high-powered constituional lawyers he wants, but its not going to do him any good in the UK, because the U.S. constituion doesn't apply there.

What Savage is doing (and why some of his past statements look so looney) is throwing a little red meat to his listeners. Basically these shock jocks are in the entertainment business with a little political commentary thrown in. If Savage just lied down and took Jacqui Smith's ban without comment, then he would loose some credibility with his listenership over backing down meekly to a lefty Euro-pol.

Still, I have to say he has something of a point about how he ended up on this list considering how many genuinely dangerous people there are in the world. If Britain let in Savage, they would probably find that the average Tyra Banks/Madonna visit causes a lot more real disruption to society than this guy ever would.

Paris--either because she would also cause more commotion in the UK than Savage would, or because she would make a better Home Secretary than Jacqui Smith. Take your pick of which.

Happy

I for one welcome

our new tell-it-like-it-seems-to-their-tiny-uninformed-so-ignorant=you-can't-think-where=to=start=American-shock=jock overlords... if he wins the case

Busy week Jacqui?

Why is the Home Secretary wasting her time banning people who had no intention of traveling to the UK anyway? Savage had no intention of traveling to the UK. Two on the list are in foreign prisons FFS! Surely she has something more important to do than sit on her fat arse thinking up who she wouldn't let into the country if they were to try to get in? (and get out of gaol in some cases). Any why only 21 worldwide? Charles Manson? Lay out the red carpet..... Joseph Fritzel? Come on down! You're welcome!

Savage is right on one issue at least- Jacqui really is a lunatic.

Flame

We have a word for people like him

But in the interests of Christian conservative decency I can only phonetically spell it out to you..

see you en tee.

And I have indeed listened to this man, in reply to the freedom-hater who claims none of us have.

I live in Alaska and I'm forced to listen to his diatribe on my weekly commute home. I travel through mountain passes and the only radio station available for weather and traffic reports is the same one this cunt (shit sorry) preaches on.

I can absolutely and categorically confirm he promotes racism and hatred of anything non-white and Christian. The lies he tells whips his followers up into a fervour and he's constantly taking calls from them telling him how they want to kill this person or shoot that type of individual. Of course he tells them not to do it, if he didn't he'd be sued himself and any advertising millions he's earning would be long gone. But that doesn't change the fact the main content of the show generates extreme hatred and violence towards those he rants against.

"Mexican illegals carry swine flu into the US put all of us at risk."

No actually they don't, your co-worker with regular flu poses more of a risk to you than some immigrant whose probably thousands of miles away from where you live, possibly carrying a virus already proven to be less dangerous and less contagious than the common flu most people get every year.

But that doesn't stop the slack-jawed wankers with shotguns and assault rifles from heading to the border to "protect" their country.

Of course the thing they don't care to believe is not every Hispanic in the US is an illegal immigrant. Many are Puerto Rican (my wife for example) or Cuban or legal US citizens of South and Central American descent. So my wife travels to Mexico for a vacation with her Hispanic family, to an area that has no fucking flu victims of any kind, and she's harassed as she returns by rednecks with guns.

Why? Because of cunts (shit, sorry again) like Michael Weiner preaching hate on the radio to any psycho fuck that will listen.

Slippery slope? We already have lists of people banned from traveling, let alone entering the UK or the US. They're called terrorist watch lists and he most definitely deserves to be on one of them.

Unhappy

Michael Savage is...

...unfortunately part of the price we pay in the United States for the right of free speech.

Those who doubt the US takes the 1st Amendment seriously, well, all I can do is point at Michael Savage while gagging and averting my eyes.

He's a lunatic with a radio show and he's not afraid to use it. Sigh. Still, he can say what he likes, and hold whatever opinions he pleases. So long as all he does is shoot his mouth off nobody's going to do anything--as pleasant a fantasy as throttling the idiot might be. :)

Personally, give me a hundred Michael Savages (turning green from the thought) instead of one censorship law or book burning mob any day.

Besides, why ban KKK and neo-nazis and all the rest? If they're given free speech too *at least we know who they are and what they are thinking*.

There is a method to the madness...

Alert

Savage is a fake right-winger

He is a major supporter of Jerry Brown (aka Governor Moonbeam) and was an original Merry Prankster (see Tom Wolfe). He is rumored to have been extra friendly with Alan Ginsburg, way back when.

Things are not what they seem.

Flame

Jacqui vs. Savage? Such a tough choice

Could somebody just lock the two of them in a room together? Maybe in a nice mid-Atlantic location like St. Helena? Savage is offensive, and advocates the kind of governmental abuse of civil rights that Smith routinely engages in.

@Member of the Savage Nation

You seem to have missed out on the humor in having someone who "preaches Border, Language and Culture" all of the sudden turn around and start whining because someone else wants to close *their* borders to *him*. Or the delicious hypocrisy of someone who has little use for civil libertarians running to his "top First Amendment attorneys" when it is *his* free speech ox that is getting gored (the additional humor in Savage's apparent lack of understanding that the First Amendment is only the law of the land within the US, not the UK, has already been mentioned).

@Mike Richards

"Can't they both lose?"

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Flame

Standards?

"If you can't live by the rules that we live by, the standards and the values that we live by"

Thats a bit bloody rich coming from someone who was quite happy to use taxpayers money to maintain and update their family home, and yet, can only spout "Its within the rules". Obviously has no sense of what is morally right and wrong. Just the type of moneygrabbing pig with her snout in the public trough we need as Home Secretary...

Coat

@david wilson

"When it comes to loudmouth bigots, surely it's more fun to let them travel here, and then just send them back once they've landed?"

Because we'd probably let them in, give them a council house and set them up on benefits.

</stepping away from the Daily Mail>

Paris Hilton

to american guy

DOOOOO IIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Coat

Corporeal Presence

Just been listening to this bloke interviewing Christopher Monckton. Seems pretty balanced to me...

http://michaelsavage.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=5614

Anyway, the point is, I can hear him and probably if I looked around a bit more I could see video of him. If he were to actually physically come to this country, I would not get a chance to meet him, I am a nobody!!

So, what is the point of this action by the lovely Waqui? Perhaps she just want to inflict her corporeal presence on me by getting her lardy image on the telly.

By the way, there seems to be a divergence between the US and the UK over the meaning of the words, conservative and liberal. In the UK conservatism and liberalism are very similar, the main difference being that conservatives believe in hang 'em and flog 'em, and liberals don't (and I am not talking about the LibDums here, they are social democrats).

Also, I didn't notice that scion of good behaviour, Robert Mugabe on Waqui's list; perhaps he is one of the unmentionables.

Gold badge

Translation.

Re: the 16 names / 22 names thing.

You say this is because "naming them would not be in the public interest".

What this actually means is:

"There are six blank spaces which we'll fill in as and when someone we haven't thought of buys a ticket to England and the Daily Mail throws a hissy fit over it."

What does conservative mean to you?

I am gobsmacked that this guy can call himself conservative! Here in Blighty being a Conservative is to be a member of a slighty right of centre political party, over the pond it seems the word means something completely different.

I have a couple of US relations through marriage, when I told them I was a Conservative voter they disowned me there and then and refuse to speak to me anymore.

Now I know why, they obviously think I am a Christian Fundamentalist Bigot!

Title 264769

[quote]I am reluctant to support bans on free speech, but there are limits to everything[/quote]

Unfortunately; freedom defined is freedom denied - put an artificial limit on free speech and it is no longer free speech.

Freedom: the condition in which an individual has the ability to act according to his or her own will.

[quote]I for one had never heard of Savage, nor did I know anything of his views of messages, until The Lunatic Witch...

Does anyone else think that she's rather missing the point about modern communications?[/quote]

Until she puts his website on the IWF for inciting hatred... and 'The Lunatic Witch' +1, we have a new winner! She is too, the public face of Gordon Browns dark side.

'Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law'

Coat

News Just In!

The USA has put Chris Moyles on their refused-entry list because he said "BOOBIES!" once, and they don't like that kind of filth.

Seriously, there are 6 un-named people on that list. Out of the following, at least one must not be on the list, and therefore allowed into the UK:

* Osama Bin Laden

* Kim Jong-Il

* George W. Bush

* Robert Mugabe

* The Ghost of Ayatollah Khomeini

* Dr Evil

* Me

All the above have said naughty things that the Home Secretary doesn't like! What horribly, villainous nasty peoples they are!

Vote now! Who should we refuse entry to the UK out of these contenders??*

*please get permission from the bill-payer before voting. Voting costs £10 from a BT landline, and considerably more from a mobile. Under the Terms and Conditions of uk.gov policy, votes will be ignored and the decision will be made by rolling a dice.

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Oh god

I'm now finding myself rooting for Right-wing US nutjobs.

I think previously I'd just wanted her to resign - but now, in some deep dark corner of my psyche, I want to see what she'll do next.

Can't we swap?

Send him and we will send you wacky jaqui. Think we will get the better deal.

Gold badge
Happy

Border, Language and Culture.

"Savage preaches Border, Language and Culture. "

Then you might like the views of a certain Eugene Terreblanche. A South African genetleman known for such classics as

"I do not believe in laws. I believe in borders."

And the slightly older view of one country, one people, one leader.

I'll spare you the German translation.

I feel a bit conflicted now...

So thanks to her Right Honourable Whackiness anyone who takes that Savage prat seriously won't be coming here on holiday?

I'm going to have to find some way to rationalise this as accidental brilliance =)

Anonymous Coward

Freedom of speech

His freedom of speech is not being removed here. He is free to say whatever he wants. What is happening is that he now has to face the consequences of exercising said freedom, which in this case is being put on the naughty list.

Alien

Savage her

I don't like your views, but savage her Michael. She has lost her savvie and is a totalitarian at heart having been kidnapped by extraterrestrials and come back with the same body but a different mind.

Coat

Language

One language? They've already ruined the one we gave them!

(Ignoring the irony that English itself is based on the languages of Anglo Saxons, Vikings and Normans who could all be considered immigrants!)

Thumb Down

Thanks Jaqui...

...but I'm perfectly capable of listening to this guy myself and making up my own mind about whether he's a nutcase. After all, you've given me plenty of practice.

well, NOW I've heard of him and read what's he's got to say

Smith's actions have ensured that this guy will never turn up in the UK where, I should think, we'd have all ignored him completely, in the unlikely event any of us had actually noticed he was here.

On the other hand, she has also ensured that we have all now heard of him and gone and read what he has to say on the web. How many thousands or millions more people have now been exposed to his ideas?

Can't see what effect exposure to his ideas has, though. So we know the name of one more f****ing moron in the world; big deal. Is there really anyone out there who doesn't know some people don't like gays muslims and/or immigrants? Or who can't manage to locate these opinions on the web?

Stop

pfft, get it right

5) Busty St. Claire (and the aliases, Busty Larue & Hooty McBoob).

it's chesty la rue.

Paris Hilton

Like all media hos...

they feed on the apparence of conflict, fear, uncertainty and doubt, to add momentum to their cause.

...and if you buy the DVD or make a 1-900 donation, he can smoke even more right-wing crack. or pay the drones to do stuff.

Jacqui, the tard-mistress, seriously looks a bit retarded like GWB.

She is doing an equally dumbed-down FUD-fuelled job of using the media to bash in your forehead with the text-baton - much cheaper than a paddy wagon full of real policeman-weilding batons.

It is all just more psyops drivel - both sides.

Paris - cos US & UK aint worth visiting anymore.

Not you again Cleese?

It is as if the Monty Python team are writing Jacqui's script. Is she perchance secretly on the Tory payroll - render Labour unelectable for the next 100 years?

Pirate

Speculation on the unnamed 6

Let's see- There's that puff chested war monger:

George W. Bush

There's his torturer in Chief:

Dick Cheney

There's the Minister of War:

Donald Rumsfeld

There's the gang of war crims that signed off on the torture:

Alberto Gonzales

Condileezza Rice

John Ashcroft

That's six, idn't it?

Anonymous Coward

lol

just thought have they just put his stage name on the naughty list? Coz who at "border control" (lol) is gonna recognise him anyway? Bet if he waited 6 months and used his real name he'd have no problem getting in.

Seriously though, it's just stupid, and it makes our country look stupid, it's the kind of loopy crap you'd expect from Iran.

Thumb Down

Tool Man

Savage says that kids with autism need a kick & are brats, perhaps the boot should be on the other foot & the brat is Savage. As for the Koran being a book of hate, did he actually read the book; I don't think so. This guy must be a complete tool!

Coat

immigrants the lot: one language, one people

*** One language? They've already ruined the one we gave them! (Ignoring the irony that English itself is based on the languages of Anglo Saxons, Vikings and Normans who could all be considered immigrants!) ***

The "Anglos" came from north Jutland (Denmark).

The "Saxons" came from the south Jutland (Denmark).

The Normands came from those (men from the North) Norwegians and Danes who had previously settled in France: and who had originally come from Jutland (Denmark).

Vikings? Well there were no viking people - this was just a generalised (often retroactively) naming exercise of referring to "Nordic" people outside of their "home" territory (as there is also no viking "country").

So what is "English"? Well you could say it is the result of danes talking to (and mating with) other danes (including some germans) and sometimes talking to (and mating with) celts etc. Later adding this to those danes who had in the meantime created themselves a home in france who talked to (and mated) other danes living in france and to (and with) the local population (who had failed miserably in learning latin and as a result created a bastard language nowadays called french). Then those "latinised danes" (normands) came to the UK and talked (and mated) some more with their "danish" (now english) brothers and sisters...

Immigrants - the whole lot......

I don't know why he would want to come here anyway.

This country is turning into a modern-day copy of the Eastern Block countries of the Cold War era -- a police state where everyone is a criminal and speech is heavily censored. It's extremely sad to come to despise your own country.

@Rex Alfie Lee: If he did read the Qu'ran he's a more patient man than me -- it's more dull than the bible and makes about as much sense. From the parts I could stay awake to read I'd say it's about as hateful as the bible too -- or is suggesting that burning in fires for eternity is adequate punishment for homosexuality and no-belief in Allah (for example) not hateful?

It's pretty simple really.

A c**t has refused to let a cock in.

It's not the first time in history it's happened. I don't know what everyone's getting excited about.

Stop

He's clearly an asshole...

...but he should be let in. Proponents of ideas we dislike should not be silence, they should be challenged. For in our refusal to debate them and fight their hared with reason we engage in a form of self censorship that is far more dangerous than any idea he could bring to our shores.

Also, hi Jacqui - heard of the internet? You're pushing against the ocean.

Gold badge
Joke

21 only

That's at least 100x smaller than the US no fly list.

I'm sure there must be lots more people Jacqui doesn't like.

Flame

Wacky Jacqui on The Daily Show

Busy showing up Great Britain around the world thanks to Wacky Jacqui's stupidity:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=226609&title=Battle-of-the-Banned

Gold badge
Joke

AC@16:51

We'll never palm her off on the septics now.

They've seen her on the Daily Show.

Another great opportunity thrown away.

But I have to admit the Prince Harry set-up. Genius.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums