back to article Windows 7 — It’s like Vista, only less annoying

Today, Microsoft will start official downloads of the Windows 7 Release Candidate. It's the last-planned release of Windows 7 before Microsoft sends the polished code to OEMs and starts boxing up the bits as product. It's been nearly four months since Microsoft released its only Windows 7 beta, and it's likely that further …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve
    Thumb Down

Virtual XP

People don't stick with XP because they want XP, they stick with it because they *don't* want Vista. Mostly that's because it is slow, and is incompatible at driver level with many apps.

A non-hypervisor virtual XP isn't going to fix either of those problems.

My guess is that µSoft know this, and expect no-one to use Virtual XP, so that they can then claim "look, XP is really dead, no one uses it now" and can finally drop it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Big Bear

How many people *actually* install Windows? Its only geeks/nerds that ever really do. Sales of netbooks with Linux preinstalled were doing really well. The only reason MSFT got in the act was that they saw what cash cow netbooks were...

3. Richard Preston

Job done

Had Vista. Didn't like it. Tried W7 beta. Bought a Mac.

Like taking a stone out of my shoe.

4. Ben Boyle

@James Pickett

"Polished Code" should of course read "polished turd"

5. KB

Reason to upgrade?

I had Vista foisted on my with the purchase of a new PC - but you know what? After I got used to where everything was (and after SP1 sorted out some of the bugs like file moving inexplicably hanging) I have actually grown to quite like it.

The UAC nagging is the only remaining annoyance; otherwise it's reliable, stable, fast (on a Quad-core Q6600; 3GB RAM - nothing special) and good to look at. All my old peripherals from my previous XP machine worked fine so maybe I was lucky, but still - no complaints.

With 7 looking to put Vista into an early grave (and I understand why MS need to do this for business reasons) I'm faced with the decision of whether to upgrade or just stick with Vista until I next come to replace (or do a major upgrade) on my PC, by which time Windows 8 will probably be on the horizon.

I've no use for the touch functionality; Libraries sound pointless for anyone who actually stores their files sensibly in the first place; I don't like the idea of the new taskbar (I've never let windows 'stack' open instances of the same app - give me a separate tab for each so I can see what I'm doing) and alt-tab in Vista is fine for task switching...

So yeah, if this was a free Service Pack for Vista I wouldn't object to it, but I can't see any reason to spend money on it if you're already a Vista user.

6. Ken Hagan Gold badge

XP's life expectancy

"...how about security updates once XP ceases to be supported, which I would wager isn't very far away."

A poor wager, since the results are already in. Microsoft are still shipping XP, so laws in many countries oblige them to support it for a few years more anyway. If they bundle it with premium editions of Win7, that obligation continues for the lifetime of Win7. In any case, OEMs making turnkey systems have been assured by Microsoft that XP will be both sold and supported until about 2017. That puts XP about half-way through its supported life.

Obviously the level of support will tail off. The core code is pretty stable even now, so it's hard to imagine XP *needing* much in the way of support (compared to the rest of the MS product line) in the next few years.

There's also the fact that XP support is "special" compared to previous releases. The inclusion of virtual XP with Win7 is an admission by MS that they believe there are large numbers of corporate customers running old software that won't ever run on new versions of Windows. MS are therefore faced with the choice of cutting large corporates adrift, or supporting XP.

And to forestall the usual whining about "why can't they fix the apps?", let's be clear about who "they" are. In a closed source world, *most* of the people who might buy a new operating system are not in a position to fix any of the apps that they intend to run on it. The original software vendor may no longer exist, may charge an exorbitant fee for what *they* see as a port to a new OS, or may just not be interested in dusting off the old code for an uneconomic handful of customers. Consequently, *Microsoft's* customer, the end-user, demands 100% backwards compatibility or else they can't and won't upgrade.

7. Robert Forsyth

Wait for the third version

Traditionally MS take three tries to get it right, if Vista is version 1, W7 version 2, W8 version 3. After that they start mucking it up, but recover by version 6.

8. sandiskboy

I'm going for Snow Leopard

After 2 years of trying Windows for the first time I have had enough, How do you guys put up with this crap? Snow Leopard sounds way cooler than Windows 7.

9. Chris Williams
    Thumb Down

I'm not spending money on it

I foolishly bought Vista Ultimate to run on my laptop and the only thing about it that's ultimate is the fact that its the ultimate (as in 'last') version of Windows I intend to purchase.

Since its launch, I have read and heard complaints, but also counter-arguments and support for Microsoft's attempt to improve the user experience, enhance security and reliability et al, but my own personal experience has been one of almost unending frustration.

If I were only to use my machine for word processing and browsing the web then undoubtedly it would match the job, but I have had problems with file consistency, performance and have seen more blue screens than ever I did with XP.

It's no exaggeration to say that running Vista (on a laptop that replaced a perfecly reliable XP laptop that was stolen) has cost me frustration and lost time that amounts to several days of lost productivity and, for that reason, I can't say that it was "fit for purpose". Sure enough, SP1 took care of some of the *really* ridiculous problems like taking hours to copy a few files, but that's like buying a car and only having the accelerator fitted at its first service!

I'm no IT idiot, and Microsoft operating systems have run my computer's since the days of DOS 2.0, so I have lived with the foibles of Windows since its rudimentary beginnings in the 80s. I have watched it take over corporate PC networks where (in my opinion) it comes a distant third, fourth or fifth place to Novell eDirectory (a proper, fully functional and completely transparent network directory structure), Linux, etc. in terms of manageability, performance and reliability, but I have grown to accept working with it as part of my job -- on the desktop in fact, I'd say it's not done a bad job since Windows 2000.

This, though, is different. Vista has never grown on me. I have never come to actually like it and, even after two years of using it, curse it on an almost daily basis.

Vista cost me good money, and now I'm supposed to say "ah well, never mind, they made a mistake... the next version is bound to be better." Well bollocks to that: Windows 7 might bring me the things I paid for Vista to bring me, but I'm not going to pay top whack for it again.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hi, I'm a PC

[Mac] Hi, I'm a Mac

[PC] and I'm a PC

[Mac] I do graphic, music and multimedia in a way that'll blow your mind - and I'm secure!

[PC] Y'uh huh...

[Mac] Yeah, and look how damned shiny and easy-to-use I am!

[PC] Y'uh huh...

[Penguin] Hi guys!

[PC & Mac] Hmmm?

[Penguin] Me so leet on servers! I R reddy fur desktop now, kthnxbye

[Mac] ooooh kay - so, I've got graphics, music, multimedia and I'm just so damned dripping with cool that I could single-handedly turn back global warming and bring about the next ice age - our little penguin pal over there has got servers all wrapped up nicely almost as well that little red imp chap, where is he by the way? And the penguinistas play nice with all these little netbooks too... so "Mr I am a PC" - what've you got apart from spreadsheets?

[PC]GAMEZGAMEZGAMEZGAMEZGAMEZGAMEZGAMEZGAMEZ - I Pwnz Jo0!

[Mac & Penguin] DAMNIT!

11. Niall Campbell
    Stop

You can polish a turd

as many times as you like but it will always remain a turd.

Am I the only one to think that desktop improvements (sic) are yet another p-poor attempt from Microshaft to come up with a UI like Mac OS-X?

The sooner we see the back of a company which resembles its own software (over-blown and bloated) the better!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

OK....

"So what's different since January's beta? Aero Peek, which displays a full-screen preview of an application before you switch to it, has been extended to alt-tab switching as well as taskbar thumbnails, so you no longer need the mouse."

Ah, so just like KDE has been able to do for ages? KDE will even show the active window content in the preview. So if you watching a video in a window , the video will continue to play in realtime in the preview pane.

MS, get a clue!

13. James Whale
    Thumb Up

Win7 is good - you haters need to get over yourselves

Been using the beta for several months - runs like a dream on my Samsung NC10 netbook (1.6GHz Atom, 2Gb RAM) so should fly on higher specced machines. Take the visual pleasantries of Vista, chuck in the speed and stability of XP and add new dimensions of intuition and polish, and you have Windows 7.

Don't knock it till you've tried it folks - a lot of you MS haters are going to be eating your words quite soon...

14. Peter Mc Aulay
    Coat

Core competency

That would be games and hardware, then.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eh?

" Quad-core Q6600; 3GB RAM - nothing special..."

You have got to be kidding!!!!!!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Feature??

"Windows 7 also eliminates a Windows Vista *feature* whereby every GDI window was held in memory twice, reducing memory consumption and speeding performance"

I do so hope there was heavy use of sarcasm accompanying the word "feature" in there...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Whingers

I have to laugh at all you "Wot's it do that XP doesn't??" whiners! I bet you all said the same about DOS when Windows 3.0 hit didn't you...?!!

Listen if you don't like the OS then DON'T USE IT. And if you don't already, then why not just shut the fuck up and stop bitching about something you don't use?

18. michael

re:What's the gain over XP .... over 98SE ?

proper multi user support and networking protocols especial for wireless, vastiley improved support for usb devices. bundled automatic updates over the internet and that is just of the top of my head

19. Andrew Kemp

...sad buch

The usual MS bashing crap... Have you actually used Win7...?

It's a lot improved in terms of speed over Vista. To those pulling up the same old and out of date garbage about security, Vista/Win7 with IE in secure mode is more secure than anything else.

"Why upgrade, what's new over XP" - yeah, I bet you were the same moaners groaning when XP was new "why upgrade, what's new over 98..."

"Lots of pretty icons and taskbars", "turn it off" - yep, why use an interface at all, let's all go back to a command line and show how 733t we are...

And of course, they stole the see through taskbar off KDE, how dare they, can't they think up things themselves... Grow up, you think KDE invented their desktop interface? So what, using windows, pointers, menus, mice I guess is all copying as well, why can't these OS designers think up their own ideas - how dare they use something that works, they must create their own stuff whatever the case...

20. Peter Kay

@Tony Paulazzo

So, you bought the OEM version which is tied to a motherboard and then complained because... it's tied to a motherboard? That's why it's OEM - it has strings attached and is not supposed to be used by end users who don't know the disadvantages (tied to a motherboard, no support calls bundled). I'll grant some online shops aren't exactly very clear about this though..

If you replace it with the same model of motherboard it should work, and if that model of motherboard is no longer available Microsoft *should* enable it on the new one (of course they might reasonably say at that point, that replacing a 975X based motherboard with a X58 isn't a like for like change, for instance..)

It was exactly the same with XP; if you want to move the license about the full retail version is required.

21. Chris Williams
    Unhappy

@James Whale

Not everybody who posts negative comments about a specific experience with a specific product is a Microsoft hater.

You may not have posted in response to my post, but I sympathise with many of the above comments so please allow me to respond in kind:

I'm very pleased that your experience has been good, and I have seen many a posting not dissimilar about Vista itself, but perhaps it is you who needs to get over the fact that some people are dissatistied and frustrated with good reason.

I am not a Microsoft hater. I am not even a Windows hater, and I am no Mac or Linux fanboy, but whether you dismiss it out of hand or not, my experience with Vista has not just been bad, it has been lamentable.

If this were any organisation but Microsoft, we would allow ourselves to conduct such discussions without always making the assumption that it's to do with our liking or otherwise of its former CEO and representative personality, or because we have a liking for engaging in pub-style banter over which is the undisputed king of corporations, Apple or Microsoft.

I drove a car for a while that had problem after problem. My mate has almost exactly the same model but had no such problems: he couldn't deny that I was experiencing tribulations that would rightly make me think twice about buying from the same manufacturer again, even if he wasn't.

I'm not suggesting that there won't be anything good about Windows 7, but rather was making the point about having spent money on an OS that was basically shit and having to spend money again on its replacement.

22. Rick Giles
    Coat

@ Tony Paulazzo

Tony,

Not to sound like a fan boi, but give Ubuntu a try.

-Mines the one sitting next to the ancient (by current standards) laptop that runs Slackware 12.2 faster than my new one runs XP...

23. Dark Ian
    Boffin

Copying files...

I wonder if this Windows release still does that infuriating thing when you're copying a large folder tree to a new location, and one bad file is found and the whole process is stopped - there's no 'Skip this file?' dialog box.

Still, I didn't buy Vista, and I doubt I'll buy this. XP does everything I need from an OS at the moment.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

James Whale....

No no no....2gb ram....higher specced machines.... hmmm . Dont need polish or intuition from my OS thanks ;)

25. The BigYin
    Thumb Down

@James Whale

Sure, I'll try it. You going to give me the £160? Thought not.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

all this MS bashing does get very dull and repetitive if you don't like it don't use it don't bore us all with how brilliant every other OS is the fact of the matter is if MS products where really that bad they wouldn't have got as far as they have it’s easy to use does the job it’s asked of maybe not brilliantly but well enough to be usable Linux maybe perceived as the best thing since sliced bread. But for joe public Ms just works and 99% of all software works on it to some degree or another. Most of the time it’s 3rd party software that is the route of the problem not MS. Personally I’m indifferent to all OS’s as I don’t really care what brand it is so long as it runs my software library, which windows does. Linux on the other hand is just a ball ach to get most software running. I have more interesting things to do in my life than sit down and learn a 20 page code just to install a media player. Once Linux gets to the point where its point and click then I’ll revise my position on it. And by point and click I mean 5 clicks and its done not 2 click type some weird shit and then maybe just maybe it’ll work without me have a degree in computer engineering. Apple I just hate full stop over priced crap that it all style and no substance

27. Sarah Harper
    Thumb Down

The only downside..

The only downside of Vista and W7 over XP, is the "flavours". I liked the simple Home, and Professional editions, instead of hundreds of different things. No doubt W7 Ultimate will cost a fortune like Vista Ultimate did, which a lot of people simply can't afford. XP Pro never cost that much, and "migration" to W7 will be very slow, so it would be beneficial to reduce the price to something reasonable.

28. David Viner Silver badge

@Tony Paulazzo

Your MS drone is incorrect - a company I worked for could always get XP re-activated on the original licence even after changing the MB on a PC. Phone MS back and insist that they allow you get activated on your original licence. Explain slowly and persistently that the motherboard failed and you could not obtain a similar one so had no choice but to replace it (motherboard production life is measured in months, not years so getting an exact replacement is nigh-on impossible nowadays) . Also, tell them in no uncertain terms that if they effectively steal the use of your licence from you then you will definitely NOT be buying another Windows licence but will be installing Linux instead (they won't like that!).

Don't take no for an answer without speaking to a manager or two first (give the impression that you are prepared to take things much further if you don't get activated).

Good luck!

David

29. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Re: Dont knock it til you tried it

Why should I even try it ? £150 when Mandriva comes for £0. Virtual desktops ? None, yet Mandriva has those. Don't think I need more reasons.

30. Andy Enderby
    Gates Horns

corporate customers ......

.....Just want to run their core applications as has been pointed out elsewhere here. Allegedly "cool" visual tweaks that require double the graphical hardware cost will acheive little beyond annoying the beancounters, and would do so regardless of a recession. Is it me or have they now completely lost their occasionally flakey connection with reality at Redmond.

Running word processors, spreadsheets and databse clients really shouldn't require a business to spend a pile on graphical hardware, and when a lower footprint alternative exists, why should they pay for even 2, let alone 3 or 4 gigs of RAM in every box ?

XP, legacy Win 2000 licenses and even embracing the penguin for those without legacy apps to support, is likely to be seen as a better business bet. According to the Beast of course, these enterprises should all have divested themselves of 2000 in favour of XP, XP in favour of Vista and now, before the bugs have all been rounded up in Vista they should do the same again and make the jump to 7......?

They are aware that cash is tight right now ? Hello ? anybody there ?

Wakey fscking wakey !

31. Big Bear

@Mac Phreak

Sorry Mac Phreak – I used that as an example to highlight the, dare I say it, inbuilt geekiness of Linux, where even Ubuntu, which has long been touted as the most user-friendly and hence (ironically) most similar to the two big players, will scare the average user when they have the big screen talking about partitions and other techie matters. I doubt more than single percentage points of users have ever installed an OS, and the vast majority of those will be those ones who reinstall Windows because that’s what their brother’s mate’s neighbour suggested, and I believe that with Windows all you get is the full reinstall option which blows away what was there beforehand with a clean vanilla instance.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ James Whale

I am using it and there is nothing too good about it at all. Progress made by MicroSoft in the past decade still equals practically nothing. This OS makes me snooze with tedium every time I run it... I've never been so completely bored by an OS "update" and it is appalling that MS is receiving such sycophantic praise from the media for a system that is still so poor. I'll stick to downloading the RC1 and running it in a VM should I ever need anything to do with Windows 7. Fat fucking chance I'll spend anything on the final release though.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: It's like Vista, only less annoying

@ another anon coward who wrote "i don't want the explorer to automatically go to my user area unless i use a menu option, i happen to want it to go straight to my list of drives".

You may find this seriously weird but, since Jan 2008 when I bought my last pc, complete with Vista pre-installed, I have been trying to persuade explorer to go automatically to my user area rather than straight to my list of drives. That is, the opposite of your requirements. Perhaps we should swap pc's?

Maybe this highlights the difficulty any OS or application developer has?

i.e. Customers. Sorry, I meant Users. Or should that be Adopters?

You couldn't pay me enough to be Microsoft (or Apple or Macintosh, or whatever that Linux-for Money company is called) - ever. And stuff being Oracle - I fight their handywork every day in the Government Department they conned with their sales talk.

One day the wold will wake up to the fact that it's all about SALES and not saviours.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

MSDN Down

Blah blah Windows sucks... except RC1 just got posted and the MSDN site is now totalled... swamped with requests.. looks like they've disabled logins.. ho ho. Amazing that they still cant handle this kind of event ..maybe Windows 2012 Server will? :-)

35. Eddie Johnson
    Flame

@michael

No you are not the only one. First thing I do on XP is switch desktop to Classic scheme, then disable the stoopid desktop cleanup to get rid of annoying popups. Stuff I haven't used in 90 days is exactly what I NEED shortcuts to - you don't use it often enough to remember. Then I switch the taskbar to classic mode, delete all the MS crap from the Start menu, drag an Explorer link out from its burial plot in Start/Programs/Accessories and place it directly in the Start menu where its actually usable, then configure it with a "/e,C:\" option so it actually opens somewhere useful (yep, me too @AC). Then you spend half an hour trying to disable all the crap new Explorer options, bring back the Attributes column in details view and finally click on Reset All Folders" and "Apply to All Folders" 4-5 times before it sticks. :( Now log out and you have a 50/50 chance that all your changes stick. As long as you didn't install any patches.

If W7's big "improvement" is all about hiding all that "complicated configuration" then its an epic fail to me. And why the hell do I want to waste processing power drawing color transitions, roll down windows and transparent title bars when my goal is to actually get some work done, as quickly as possible? Stop with the eye candy MS and realize a computer is a work tool, not a cosmetic accessory.

36. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re : michael

re:What's the gain over XP .... over 98SE ?

By michael Posted Thursday 30th April 2009 12:25 GMT

proper multi user support and networking protocols especial for wireless, vastiley improved support for usb devices. bundled automatic updates over the internet and that is just of the top of my head

Multi-user support - It's my PC, if someone else wants one they can buy their own.

Network protocols - Works fine for me on wired and wireless and I have quite a LAN.

USB support - That is 98's weak point but it has supported all USB devices I have.

Automatic Updates - As if I'd trust those :-)

Bottom line is that if 98 didn't do what I wanted I'd have upgraded, but apart from MS insisting I do so, there's no compelling reason to, and I guess that's where most XP users are coming from also.

Besides, if 98 is lacking I can upgrade to XP; still no reason to go Vista or Windows 7.

37. Jimbo
    Thumb Up

i like win7

I've been using Win7 Beta for few months now on my home PC and it's actually pretty good. Runs great on old hardware with 512MB.

I love some users when they compare it to XP... well next time when virus hits don't blame wndows. Vista/Win7 significantly improved kernel. I have Vista on my latop (new latop with 3GB ram) and it really asks to ACCEPT changes only when I install or upgrade new software, I don't see this to be annoying at all. The system runs very smooth.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is an OS for exactly?

Surely it's just there to sit between your hardware and your applications and as such the OS should do very little that the user is interested in. For the most part updates should be fairly frequent and minor.

They can force the gullible to pay for a new release by introducing flashy but ultimately useless "features". The slightly less gullible will be tricked by their putting checks into the install scripts of new apps to stop them installing on older versions. Then there's the final resort of terminating support for the older version.

The problem with this model is that it just makes them (more) unpopular. If they don't get the new features right then people complain. And when they do have a popular OS then people complain when new apps won't install or support is terminated.

There again MS have always known how to make friends.

39. Dick Emery
    Stop

What does it have over XP?

People keep asking what Windows 7 will have over XP. Well for one thing it will allow the use of more than 3GB of RAM which for graphics editing and video editing is a must. Same goes for the 2TB hard disk partition limit. There are already 2TB hard disks out there and even larger RAID arrays. XP is problematic with partitions over 2TB requiring a lot of messing about to get it to recognise over that amount correctly.

I'm guessing only the 64bit version of Windows 7 will support more than 3GB of RAM fully though?

40. Andy Enderby

@ Dick Emery

A legit point, but surely XP 64 has this already, although I'm willing to confess I'd have no idea on this issue unless I consulted the relevant documentation.

41. b166er

I can't believe how lazy you are

so many here, asking what are the benefits over XP. Why don't you learn to read and then go read about it? Even install it in VirtualBox and have a play, see if you can't turn off some of the features you don't want. I'm amazed you ever found your way out of the womb!

42. Steven Raith
    Linux

Win7 bits

Couple of points: current RC [well, build 7077....] *does* show you a live preview, providing the window is not minimised - so you do get live video etc with the preview thumbnail and Peek. If the window is minimised, you get a snapshot of what it looked like last, but it's not animated [tested this with youtube...]

Also, you can pick up a Q6600, 2gb ram and a decent quality mobo for £350 - see here -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-158-OK

- providing your PSU and chassis are up to it, you slot in a cheap PCI-E GPU and you have a stonking fast machine for well under £400. A Q6600 is nothing special. But it is bloody fast - I can get my one stable at 3.4Ghz with a £25 cooler, and plan to get a bit more than that with a £50 one.

I've been running Win 7-7077 for the last week on a Q6600/P5Q/8Gb RAM/HD4850 and it's really not bad - I haven't even got round to installing Ubuntu 64Bit edition again yet [I put too many partitions on the HD for Windows to handle...].

Will I use it day to day? Probably not.

Will it do for Windows only apps and DX10 games? A damned site better than Vista does, that's for sure.

7077 is much nicer than 7000 [the beta released a few months ago] as an actual gelled experience - it has a very smooth feel, in the same way OS X 10.5 does, and Ubuntu 8 didn't [even with Compiz etc] but 9.04 is heading for too.

OSs are getting better across the board I reckon, no bad thing. MS are playing catchup in every major respect from a techies perspective, but they are slowly getting there methinks.

Steven R

Currently triple booting XP SP3, Vista Ultimate and Win 7 Ultimate, soon to be quad boot with Ubuntu 64bit :-)

43. Chris Williams
    Stop

Jimbo, there is more to this...

It is not that Windows 7 is expected to be crap: it is expected to be good in fact.

It will better handle multiple processors, more memory and will be more scaleable as a base for servers.

The front end will be cool, file handling will have improved, it will handle mouse gestures, it will run programs we need to keep running in XP mode if necessary.

But, once again, and in full knowledge that I'm beginning to sound (or have long sounded) boring, THAT'S NOT THE POINT! As a long-term Microsoft customer and someone who is (can you tell) more than a bit disgruntled with Vista, I should not have to pay for a new operating system when the primary reason for getting it will be to put right the cock-such that is Vista, not to update my XP machine.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT HATING MICROSOFT: it's about having to pay again for something has already been paid for but not delivered!

I have every respect and sympathy for Microsoft's developers who are doubtless highly talented and motivated individuals... but their wares shouldn't be sold as 'ready for use' until they really are ready for use.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

The Cow Farts Now

And that smell is the big steaming heap of Windows7 under your feet.

polished code - Yes, you really can polish a meadow muffin. Someone get a shovel and help me pile this W7 back in the spreader.

@AC - 12:53 GMT - Most of the time it’s 3rd party software that is the route of the problem

There's the crux of the problem now, innit? MS Win is supposed to be DESIGNED to be used with 3rd party software and should do it right; not like the steaming heap of goat custards that it is. Even Paris knows better than to step in it.

45. Peter Kay

@'What does it offer'

Well, Vista and 7 were designed to start making the system more stable, secure and consistent (i.e. so that you don't get noticeably different features on different hardware), but sadly all the whingers don't understand there are tradeoffs with this..

Only 64 bit versions of Vista and Windows 7 support more than 3GB RAM. It seems PAE is enabled on Vista, but doesn't support access to higher than 4GB RAM as this has an impact on driver support. PAE is a nasty hack on 32bit Windows Server OS and should be avoided wherever possible anyway..

To say that XP/Vista/Windows 7 isn't an improvement over 98 is laughable. Just because the improvements can't be seen running a web browser in an English speaking country does not mean they're not there.

However, the main reasons are

1) it's no longer supported

2) No more security fixes

3) Programs generally don't support 98 any more, because it's a sack of limited, unstable buggy shit that's a horror to program for.

4) Little new driver support, either.

The price of computing with a PC is that you have to update your computer and operating system about every eight years or so. This is *not unreasonable* especially given the dirt cheap cost of hardware.

98, and even XP 32bit, are not architected to cope with all the new media people are/will want to use. Updating operating systems to handle new security threats, better networking and utilising new hardware is not free.

Do you really think that all the OS vendors are upgrading their architecture for fun? If 64 bit was truly a dead donkey and everyone could cope with a single processor, english interface with piddly disks and naff all memory then someone would not be bothering and gaining competitive advantage.

As it is, companies have to do forward planning, which is why they have to include features that don't appear to be directly applicable to some people, unless they bother to examine the technical background.

Which is not to deny, of course, that sometimes they fix the problems in the wrong way and have to try again.

46. Eddie Edwards
    Thumb Up

Why is Vista annoying again?

I'm running Vista Pro 64 and it's fine. Haven't had many problems other than UAC stuff (with Visual Studio, no less!) The 8GB of RAM on this box helps. Who would use a 32-bit OS when RAM is so cheap?

47. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Tombo

Now, the question is what did Microsoft learn?

To work harder to make every OS (Vista) better than it's predecessor (XP)?

To not work so hard on an OS (XP) so people won't be pissed when you release your typical "not much" upgrade. (Vista).

The problem is that XP runs fine on a gig of memory. 2 gigs is insanely great. 3.6 (or whatever the 32bit limit) is God-like.

How does one "fix" this problem? Create apps that take more memory for little or no added value. How do you force people to adopt these apps? Make them incompatible with their predecessors (Hello? New office format anyone?).

I went full Mactard a few months ago after using Microsoft since 1990. VMWare's latest release seems to run XP (Visual Studio for work) slower than the hardware would allow, but that's about the only complaint I have.

On a final note, that Linux desktop demo link someone posted a page or two back looks juicy and delicious. It's an interesting time for the PC (the original definition, meaning personal computer, not MS based) industry. There's actually competition in the computer market, even if it's all i386 based. It feels like if the industry adopted Unix instead of DOS 20+ years ago. Better late than never I suppose. To talk more, call my BBS at .. oh wait, wrong decade.

48. RW
    IT Angle

How did MS lay the addled egg called "Vista"?

Simple: they decided to exploit their monopoly and simply force people to adopt Vista, like cattle being driven to the slaughterhouse.

Not that MS exploiting their monopoly is anything new, but Vista was a truly egregious example. It's been pretty funny to watch MS recoil in horror when their customer base rebelled and decided to stick with XP. It seems to me an inescapable conclusion that MS, in spite of all their trumpeting otherwise, doesn't know what their customers want, doesn't care what their customers want, and couldn't figure out what their customers want even if they cared. So much for the much-vaunted usability labs!

What I'd like to know is how much money changed hands, and in which direction, in connection with the ludicrous HD DRM installed in Vista at Hollywood's behest.

49. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To all the people complaining about activations...

Do you know how the activation system works?

My experience from my vista laptop which had a motherboard replacement.

For a start every year is a new year it seems, first re-acitvation went perfectly fine via the web, no need to call them at all. Then I cocked something up and had to reinstall again, this time it needed activating, i phoned em up gave the key told em the motherboard was replaced, they gave a quick explaination of why it triggered and activated it.

Actually i had to phone again a few days later and they activated then as well, had no issues whatsover, maybe its because i was polite on the phone and didn't demand anythin, but requested stuff , firmly if required.

Or it could be that someones got somethign against what is actually a fair activation system, specally if you compared to some of the game activation systems out there.

50. GumboKing
    Thumb Up

@Jason Bloomberg

...disable the stoopid desktop cleanup to get rid of annoying popups...

I didn't even think that was possible. After a quick google on it, I have found where the hidden checkbox under customize desktop is and am now free of the yoke of my every 60 day oppressor.

Cheers!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like