back to article Apple eyes patent for web silence

Apple wants to give you the opportunity to selectively block web-based audio while allowing you to listen to any other audio source of your choosing. In a filing released Thursday by the US Patent and Trademark Office, Apple detailed plans for equipping a web browser with the ability to apply controls to audio streaming in from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Go

Nice idea.

Thanks for documenting it for us Apple.

As we have no respect for software patents we will release a FireFox patch shortly for the RoW markets. That way, Americans can pay whilst everyone else gets it for free.

Please feel free to document more ideas.

Gold badge
Jobs Horns

Here's a thing.

I see that nobody's patented taking off-the shelf PC parts, shoving them in a designer casing and charging ripoff prices for the result.

My retirement plan is to take out that very patent and sue the shit out of Apple for infringing it.

MnM

@Juan Inamillion

More like ten a penny ;)

Agree that many posters have misunderstood what Apple is getting at, but I think it's because they've lost patience.

We had a school computer room full of Macs in the mid-eighties, which could do all sorts of new and cool stuff, and the demos of music sampling and realtime manipulation saw them cooed over at parents evenings. I'm not sure but I doubt they sought patents, it would have already existed in music studios, but they brought it to the desktop and implemented it and impressed people and made a reputation and sales (actually not so sure about sales).

What have they done this time? A holistic volume control. Hardly photoshop or file compression. Car stereos can mute a radio when a call comes in. Attempting to patent, successful or not, is utter, utter bollocks and massively compromises their image as design leaders.

Maybe it's a response to faster development cycles, but a good company would innovate faster, and not expend effort trying to slow everyone else down. Agree with AC above, it smacks of desperation.

Gates Horns

Wintards have totally missed the point

If I am listening to a tune in one browser window, I can't navigate away from that page to look at other browser windows, can I?

So if I open a new window and go to some page that also tries to play music, muting the entire browser using the volume control in Vista isn't going to help me is it?

Wintards

Jobs Horns

RE Wintards have totally missed the point

At least try and have some understanding about what you are talking about. In Vista not only can I use the mixer to control the volume of each instance of a browser, I can flick between tabs in firefox and control the volume of each individual tab.

Crappletard

Paris Hilton

Fuckin america

Can i patent the "submit" button.

Oh and i'll have that "Post comment" button too, oh just give me the <post> HTML tag while i'm at it.

/even Paris thinks this is fucking stupid

Joke

re: Fuckin america

Hate to rain on your parade but HTML doesn't have a <post> tag ;)

Bronze badge

More Prior Art

Even in IE 7 running on XP, I noticed in Internet Options that I had "Play sounds in webpages" unchecked. Of course, that isn't quite the same as a volume control, and Vista's idea of managing applications individually is a very good one.

This post has been deleted by its author

RE: Prior art?

Never mind Vista, take a look at http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/CR-UAAG10-20010912/guidelines.html#tech-configure-audio-volume, the W3C User Agent Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 dated 12 September 2001.

1. Allow global configuration of the volume of all rendered audio, with an option to override audio volumes specified by the author or user agent defaults.

2. Allow the user to choose zero volume (i.e., silent).

Next week - Apple attempts to patent HTML.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

The only question is...

Why the HECK hasn't this been standard for ages?

OY, Mozilla?!! Where's that volume control I've wanted since 2002??

I sure hope Apple cannot patent it, because then I would be forced to use Safari.

Stop

Pulseaudio in Linux is prior art.

Pulseaudio in Linux (Fedora 9/10) has done all the "claims" for some time already.

Can send audiostreams to another computer over any network.

Can mute and change volume level in any application or Flash-application separately.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums