back to article Jackalope gets jaunty with Ubuntu nip and tuck

Ubuntu 9.04 - officially launched today and due to be ready for download on Thursday - is a worthwhile upgrade for Ubuntu fans. Ubuntu steward Canonical has been working hard to improve the look and feel of Ubuntu and the Jaunty Jackalope edition brings quite a few refreshing touches to the old exterior. The default theme is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

JDS

Um, no major updates?

OpenOffice is version 3.0. I think that counts as a "major update"

Hooray

The backup actually worked. The 'tool' was a bit flaky though.

Now, I'll be 'stupid' and put 9.0.4 on. Like I say I just love doing this sort of stuff.... No, actually I will re-install my old crud on 8.10, get it working and then backup the whole system.

Tim
Linux

Interesting

Camilla... thanks for the entertainment.

My biggest complaint about Jaunty is with the implementation of Pidgin. I'm not sure if it's just because of the new notification system or what. I like the notifications... and I heartily agree that you should be able to click on the notifications or links within the notifications to open the associated application, but Pidgin's icon is changed to a mail folder that looks like an email client. Instead of being able to double click on the icon and reopen my contact list, it does nothing with a double click. A single click brings up a box that shows the pidgin messenger, then I can click that link to reopen my contact list. The icon also no longer shows my status.

Jaunty also didn't offer to import any of my settings from 8.10 or Windows XP, though 8.10 always offered to import settings when I installed it.

I was amazed at how fast Jaunty boots.. about 12 seconds on my laptop, and I think the new login screen is AWESOME! But what the heck is up with the boring default wallpaper and theme? Where's the new artwork that's been worked on for the past 3-4 releases? I like the new-wave theme, and that would been a better choice for a default theme. They need the rest of the artwork to match the login screen and it'll be great. The usplash theme kinda sucks to me and wasn't worth their effort to update, though I guess in 9.10 when it swiches to plymouth we might see something neat.

I can understand the release having 2.6.28 kernel, but I think they should release 2.6.29 to the repositories instead of just updates to the 28 release.

Openoffice was a decent upgrade, that was highly annoying also that they didn't offer a direct upgrade from 2.4 on Intrepid. I'm glad to see the latest versions of gimp, pidgin, and vlc (available at least) Speaking of VLC... why the heck isn't it a default application?

To do a dist-upgrade from 8.10 it wanted me to download 800mb of updates. I had already downloaded the iso though, so I did a fresh install, then to download the applications I needed, skype, java, flash, VLC, k3b, codecs, etc... was about 512mb. I mean yeah, 700+512 > 800mb to update... but I really don't understand why if I already have firefox 3.0.9, openoffice 3.01, the latest flash and java, and codecs... why my dist-upgrade was 800 freaking MBs?

Anyway... overall, yes I like Jaunty. Could it have been better... probably. The whole Intel video driver fiasco... wow. I'm not sure what to do with my netbook now, install jaunty and go through the hassle of tweaking the crap out of the xorg.conf and loading various intel drivers, or stick with 8.10 for now. I want to get it all set up and nice grub splash screen and themes for my wife. (pink everything basically, including the wind)

Well, I thought I was done, but one more thing. Grub splash screens. Why doesn't Ubuntu include, 1 a grub splash screen at all, 2, a nice looking Ubuntu logo'd splash screen. By default the menu is hidden, but I would like a menu. Multiple OSes usually, but even if it's just for selecting multiple kernels. Or the memtest.

Also, what about offering an upgrade install. Like redhat/fedora always had (has still?) where you boot from the cd, start installing, and it detects a previous install and asks if you want to upgrade it. Installs over the top of the old one, updating the applications and keeping either your old config, or at least making a backup copy of it.

Ok... rant finished.

Linux

Works for me

Upgraded over the network, no problems.

Jaunty seems snappier than Intrepid.

Firefox 3.09 is nicer.

OpenOffice 3.0 is nicer

Everything else so far "just works"

Joke

Ubuntu - great if you love silence

You know, Ubuntu is a great operating system and a vast improvement over Vista, but the quality of testing by the development team leaves a lot to be desired - I couldn't possibly advocate using it for any serious purpose. Why? Every single time they post an update to the sound system, they screw it up! Their new 9.04 release has totally obliterated sound on my laptop, and from the bug tracker quite a few other people are having the same problem. Yet none of the developers are responding to the bug trackers - and many of the problems seem to be reintroduction of previous bugs which suggests incredibly poor coding discipline.

Sure, it's free - and linux is cut a lot of slack for that on a regular basis - but if they want to be taken seriously they just have to be better at doing the job properly. They're trying to set themselves up as a serious alternative to a Windows desktop, but can you imagine the fallout if a Windows update wiped out users sound systems because they tried to switch to an architecture that just didn't work, where they'd ignored previous bug reports that remain open to this day on their bug database, and then didn't bother replying to any user issues for weeks after release?

Heart

Mini Me...

My new Dell Mini 9 LOVE the Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR). Even with the stock 512MB RAM (yes, I upgraded it), UNR took only about 240MB at boot time with NO swap usage. Performance is snappy, even with the relatively slow SSD. CPU utilization at idle is minimal, allowing for about 5 hours of "real" usability out of the battery. I love it!

Happy

Will download it

in about a month or so, as advised on the Ubuntu forums .

There have been a lot of people who rushed in (fools rush in?) and had problems , some serious.

I can carry on with 8.10, the faults I have are not serious..

Flame

All in all

i'm using ubuntu as my primary desktop, it's got everything i need and more. no problems with the use, updating and modification of this system. very stable, easy and fun to use. not a single problem, right down to wireless and multimedia support, i gotta this more than "just works", it owns. I switch to windows xp to play games when i have to, running a weak intel graphics chipset, but that's the game developers fault, there alligence with properitory software, i.e. directx and windows api, is forcing me to dual boot for games. oh well big whoop. i'm happy with everything, lxde makes a nice desktop replacement, removed all of gnome and using gtk2 apps where-ever possible, wicd for wireless, instant gratification right there.

like i said, i'll only use windows for games now, because that's all it's really good for anymore. about time to rest of you woke up!!!

-kmonk

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums