back to article Teens reject Microsoft's Zune

Not a single teen plans to buy a Zune, Microsoft's ill-conceived challenger to Apple's iPod. And that's probably just as well, given it looks like Microsoft is sending its player heavenward following what's looking like the Zune's final physical manifestation. In a result that has more in common with North Korean election, a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Charles Manning

@ Fihart re: MS mouse

I refuse to buy them, but the last MS wireless mouse I looked at had a reset button.

wtf with that? Can't even make a moutse that doesn't BSOD!

2. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Up

My Zune turned me into a newt!

...but I got better.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brown?

I mean, let's be honest, who releases a supposedly 'cool' bit of kit in 'brown' and actually expects anyone to buy it FFS? Was it maybe a disgruntled MS employee (or perhaps an apple/creative/sony plant) in the design department who thought he'd make his revenge one step better than the usual "disgruntled US employee" (simply blowing his workmates away), he'd give the last shred of MSs rep a good kicking in public in a way invisible to the spoonheads that run the gaff.

It must be right because there's no other reasonable explanation other than to deter theft.

4. Kin Enriquez
    Jobs Horns

bah

iPod touch is the best. ever. no matter what cowon owners say.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MS <> Cool

Teens are in generally obsessed with fashion and peer pressure (which amount to the same thing). Nothing MS can do will make the Zune cool, indeed if they try to make it cool that will probably make it less cool. The best thing they can do is forget the teen market and concentrate on people who actually think before making a purchase.

6. Fihart

@Charles Manning

Re: Mouse

Of course, I was forgetting that I still use the old cream coloured shiny MS MeeSe bought secondhand -- the new matt white flimsy plastic ones aren't in the same league.

7. RichyS
    Gates Horns

@vincent himpe

I don't need to take apart my iPod Touch to hardwire it into my car. My car comes with an iPod dock and user interface on the satnav screen. How many cars have a Zune interface...?

8. arran
    Jobs Halo

hmmm

"Unfortunately it suffers from the "Vista effect". All their new products seemed to be getting panned by people who've never used them these days. "

sounds like most of the comments about apple products by el reg readers....

9. TeeCee Gold badge

@Charles Manning.

I'm quite keen on MS rodentia. About the only thing that they do *really* well. The wireless ones do not have a "reset" button, it's a pairing button to swap it between controllers so you can replace just the mouse in your desktop set with the combined controller rather than binning the whole lot. Also allows you to force the controller / mouse to seek a better channel when someone else fires off something on the frequency they chose.

Or, in other words, a bloody good idea.

I still rate the Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2 as the best mouse made to date (apart from the silly name). Comfy shape, good functionality and lacks the "small lead brick" feel of its rechargeable competitors (Logitech, I'm looking at you....)

10. Ian Hallsworth
    Go

I still use my 1980s Sony Walkman (And the orange headphones)

Still does the job it was made to do although finding tapes is getting harder by the week. And the kids think the size of it is rather "cool"

11. Frank Bough
    Thumb Down

All I want...

...is a fucking digital output from my iPod. Why in God's name was this not included in the first place, Apple?

12. xjy
    Paris Hilton

Ha Ha fucking Ha

@ Mike Lovell

".. Although if you really don’t want it because your IT skills aren’t up to this..."

I almost shit myself reading this...

Who the hell should need IT skills for a mass market entertainment product??

This "IT skills, bitch!" is the line constantly hawked by Anti-Linux MicroShitters. And now they turn it on themselves!

Next they'll be hyping the IT skills needed for Windoze and Orifice.

Just like the good old days of DOS.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha... The snake eating itself arse-first...

(Paris will never have to disappear up her own arse...)

13. Fihart

@Frank Bough

No digital output -- that'll be to stop you sharing your tunes, just like goddamned iTunes.

I would never buy iPod or Zune -- had enough of control freakery with computers, don't want it with my music.

14. Mike Lovell
    Flame

@xjy

"Who the hell should need IT skills for a mass market entertainment product??"

Beause perhaps you're ripping media from a source that the film industry does not want you to rip from, and you want to use OpenSource tools to do it (VideoLAN)? It's not exactly complicated though - Just beyond the original comment posters capacity.

"This "IT skills, bitch!" is the line constantly hawked by Anti-Linux MicroShitters. And now they turn it on themselves!"

Well actually I use both Linux and Windows, they aren't mutually exclusive you know.

"Next they'll be hyping the IT skills needed for Windoze and Orifice."

You do realise there are Windows engineers and architects in the world right?

Geez, another tard.

15. The Jase

Zune's failure

The failure was to have it for the US market only. its a big world, MS seemed to have forgotten this.

After my Creative died, I was looking for a Zune, it was the right hdd size and had everything I wanted. I could not find one. I emailed MS to see when it would be released in the UK, they came back with "no plans".

16. J
    Thumb Down

@Duncan Jeffery

"Which just about sums up the average Mac user's attitude."

Your post says more about you than about me. I'm NOT a Mac user, and will probably never be. I was just making an observation of a very obvious fact: people who routinely defend crap products from MS do not defend this particular MS product (well, some have on this page now)

17. xjy
    Paris Hilton

Tardis

@Mike Lovell again:

MASS....MARKET....ENTERTAINMENT...

or maybe you mean that every user should have access to the world's Windows engineers and architects?

And of course Windows engineers and architects are needed cos of the impenetrable hieratic world of Windows. All of them desperate to retain their monopoly (stranglehold) on all our IT systems.

So tard-is time travel back to DOS and forward to user-friendly gear.

(Paris cos she likes moving to and fro and likes leo-tards)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like