Feeds

back to article G20 police demand ID as train staff ordered to spy on passengers

Hysteria over protests connected to the G20 conference continues to grow, with ID checks for East-end residents and train staff told to tip off police about suspicious passengers. The Metropolitan Police is telling residents and workers near the ExCeL conference centre, where G20 leaders will meet, that they will need two forms …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Hmm...

I've made a few flippant comments about getting to work tomorrow, throught he protesters, but I really don't want to see the kind of idiots we had to deal with (on both sides) last time.

Coppers holding large groups of people in a street, 'just in case' and protesters against capitalism smashing up John Lewis are two low points that spring to mind.

Anonymous Coward

I can see the point of this

They know that groups of people will be travelling to London, so they have asked to be informed if groups of people are travelling to London so that they can know that groups of people are travelling to London. This way they can be fully prepared for what they are prepared for after they have prepared for it, and it only inconveniances the public a little.

Vic
Black Helicopters

so what's the meaning of life?

So this just about kills all aspects of daily life then.

No protest = no whinging.

No matching shirts = no going to the footie with the mates.

No travelling on public transport...but you just told us to get rid of the cars as you said they were warming up the planet and all.

No having a cup of tea at home and watching it all on television...since you need the two forms of ID you left behind there, not realising they wouldn't let you back to get them.

No wearing stuff with matching logos - well, that terroristises everyone from the matching middle class hisnhers, matching-the-kiddies abomination all the way through to our friends from less savoury parts of town with their matching shiny branded 'sports' gear.

Just nuke everybody already, what's the bloody point?

Happy

two forms

If asked by a person in blue uniform, before complying get them to show you two forms of their id.

It may not be legal, but explain to them that they'll get to their lunch break faster if they do.

Anonymous Coward

Wow

Ok so time to scratch the entirety of England off my list of places to hang around for a while when I take my extended vacation. Because it's become blindingly obvious that your government and law enforcement agencies are acting like a couple of seven year old children and simply making up the rules to the game as they go along, then changing the rules they just made up to suite them when they want to.

Freedom of speech, yeah they've heard of it. At some point way back in the day... maybe. Or not, who can tell at this point.

don't you mean...

"At least the Canadians have the good grace to speak and spell properly."

Don't you mean "proprely"?

Anonymous Coward

Glencoe ??

Wasn't it the McDonalds who got massacred at Glencoe. Are all those burgers their revenge?

Black Helicopters

@Protest is healthy in a functioning democracy

Yes, yes indeed it is. That, sir, is a statement of the bleeding obvious. What is equally obvious is that ours is no longer such a functioning democracy.

Copters, CCTV, collaborators, they're all the same thing.

Dex

V for Vendetta?....

Surely a 2 finger salute V icon would be more apt? an "up yours" to those muppets in power

2 forms of ID?....no....I'll use my right to remain silent :D

Anonymous Coward

flash mob of protest?

how about a flash mob at one of the checkpoints? get a couple of hundred of us at one checkpoint just refuse to present any id (or have any)... get a few cams see what happens??

whose coming?

Coat

@How can the police use a law which does not exist

Northamptonshire police are helping out - they are masters at " its law coz I say it is.."

mines the one being illegally searched after only being 'detained to confirm I haven't committed any crimes'

Stop

They want what?

It would be nice if the police upheld the law instead of trying to create it. When you have exceeded their authority to determine when and how residents may get to their homes you no longer serve the public. We still (briefly) have the right to protest in this country. Try and police demonstrations instead of disrupting them.

Coat

Ahem.

A racist policeman in England who was called into the commandant's office after he kept arresting a man called Winston Ndogo for various reasons, such as:

- looking at me in a funny way;

- being in possession of a loud shirt;

- stepping on the cracks in the pavement;

- being in possession of an offensive wife.

He was of course pronounced a racist and a bigot ... and then promoted to the Special Forces!

Oh wait. That was a comedy sketch in Not the Nine O'Clock News. It wasn't real life, was it...?

Paris Hilton

large groups travelling togetther.

Wearing body armour and with tits on there heads, its either a stag do from Moss Side or 5-0 on the way to dish out some "justice" using the long extendible baton arm of the law.

Paris, brighter than the average plod

Joke

You know why they call it the "G20"

After the protests and the court case the judge sentences you.

You listen to the sentence and then say: Gee 20 (years)!

Alert

Excuse me ossifer?

I was heading to work and saw several corrupt billionaires and politicians, gathering to collude and conspire treasonous schemes...

Anonymous Coward

The best thing to do with ...

this kind of miscreant is to completely ignore them. The rest of us normal people going about our normal daily business, should only change a couple of things...

1: Apply a total news blackout... do not listen to, or watch any news or current affairs broadcast for the next few days.

2: Do not buy a newspaper, or read the online versions.

3: If you normally work in this area, do not go anywhere near the Exel Centre... call in sick or book a couple of days off.

4: If you are a member or supporter of some protest group or another... talk a good game on the web etc. but on the day, just sit at home and twiddle your thumbs.

In my humble view this is the best way to react to this sort of agitation by politicians and police... As Margaret Thatcher once said, "do not give them the oxygen of publicity".

Anonymous Coward

Once more

I find myself utterly disgusted with the jackboot dominated shithole this country has become. ID to move around your local area? Come on...

Anonymous Coward

yeah, ban the chavs!

"Groups of travellers wearing noticeable themed clothing, for example same large logo or coloured shirts etc"

Does this extend to anyone wearing Nike and Ecko clothing!

What about Berghaus and Hackett?

East End - not

Excel is in Newham which did not become part of London until 1965

Boffin

Re:Glencoe ??

"Wasn't it the McDonalds who got massacred at Glencoe."

No, it was the MacDonalds.

Black Helicopters

In a related story...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7974794.stm

The police are recommending

"It gives us the chance to reiterate the message that people should always ask for ID, even when dealing with police officers.

"Genuine officers are always glad to show their ID and understand that the public have a right to know exactly who they are dealing with."

So the police will always show us their ID. If they don't I think we have enough grounds to believe they are not genuine. And then either way we can refuse to show them ours :)

Black Helicopters

@ Great codename

Apparently they're saving Peterloo and My Lai for when Brown cancels the election and declares a state of emergency.

Anonymous Coward

Policing via inconvenience

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/feb/09/liberty-central-stop-and-search-police

I wonder how long MetPol could be tied up processing complaints paperwork relating to the consequences of the abovementioned letter? A week? A couple of months? A year or two?

There is, of course, no legal basis to MT's card Stop & Search card, but the police will be able to get on with their job much more easily if they just leave the law-abiding alone.

@AC 19:00

"If asked by a person in blue uniform, before complying get them to show you two forms of their id."

All police constables must carry a warrant (ID) card as proof of identity/authority, and cannot refuse to show it on demand.

For more details http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/law/introuble/whatisawarrantcard

Note that even when they are arresting you, you have the right to request that they display their ID - if they refuse, or just ignore you, then when they read you your rights, you should say in a clear voice "I have requested that you show me your Identity Card and you have refused to do this".

Any lawyer worth his salt can then get any case against you thrown out of court - it is also possible that you may be able to make a claim against the relevant police force (subject to a number of factors). Plus it is likely that the officer in question will be disciplined.

Silver badge
Gates Horns

@ AC, rhydian

MS Office and MS Windows have different language, measuring units and paper size settings. Even though you correctly set up Windows for the UK (Queen's English -our -ise, A4 paper, metric measurements, currecy is £, dot as fraction delimiter, DMY, VCR time &c.) Office has its own set of country-specific settings -- and ignores those of Windows. (Or it did last time I had anything to do with it, which was shortly after XP came out.) Office also defaults to US Letter paper, which is only used in *one* country in the world -- everyone else uses A4. This causes many printers to sulk and insist for you to load the "right" size paper, or repeatedly press OK to get one sheet at a time out.

I'm sure there's a historical basis for this, but it's still a PITA. (Or it was last time I had anything to do with it, which was shortly after XP came out. Cue fanboys gleefully pointing out this is no longer the case -- or MS paid shills explaining why this is actually a *good* thing -- in 5 ..... 4 ..... 3 .....)

Themed clothing, oh my!

"A troop of Girl Guides was today released from custody after attempting to book train tickets to London during the G20 watch period. The police have offered no apologies..."

All right, fiction. But what delicious fiction!

"... burst into the room and took into custody a group of strangely clothed men wearing leather straps around their arms and foreheads and chanting in a foreign tongue from a script none of the officers could read..."

Orthodox Jews, of course. Sorry! Still fiction!

BTW: Chag Sameach Pesach (and don't tell the Police)

re: No legal basis?

Being unwilling to provide ID is seen as suspicious since if you have nothing to hide...

Getting more stroppy with them gets you arrested, which means fingerprints and DNA on the database. Now you are automatically concidered as a suspected when the police check suspicious finger prints.

You may have noticed that the police swagger around wearing Tazers now. That the humble traffic Warden is now some kind of police officer; Civil Enforcement Officer who can call their collegues the police, for rapid backup.

If you argue with any of these polce types then expect a van with a cage in the back to arrive wwithin minutes.

Heck, even the store detective will attempt to detain you if you refuse to give your name and address when buying a Freeview box.

They are bound to want a TV licence for a computer next. First it will be, do you own a PC? Then it will be that you have to register computer ownership.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.