Feeds

back to article Microsoft claims IE8 is 'a leap forward in web standards'

Microsoft may have failed the Acid3 test with the release of its Internet Explorer 8 browser, but that hasn’t dampened Redmond’s spirits a jot – in fact the company is busy making all sorts of noises about its new-found web standards credentials. The software giant claimed on Friday that the arrival of IE8 represented “a leap …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

20/100 isn't all bad...

You have to give them points though... Since the build that went into Windows 7 beta, they've gone from getting 12/100 to 20/100. Which is a pretty huge improvement for a beta stage of a cycle.

Now on the other hand, that does show some of the problems with the way MS test things... It should function pretty well by beta time, and only minor changes should be needed after that.

Anonymous Coward

well

"Amusingly enough, the site for IE8 does not validate to the W3C standards, with 141 errors."

Amusingly enough, the firefox/google start page doesn't even render in compatible mode, but renders in quirks mode instead.

IPHONE

I got 76/100 on my iphone, and thats with its rubbish version of safari.

Silver badge

How many microsoft execs does it take to change a light bulb?

None. They declare darkness to be a new standard.

(the old ones are the best ones, eh?)

Happy

Cherry Popping Browsers

Yesterday I tried that nice Mr Gates new browser IE8.

The EULA seemed to say that I could do away with much of MSN gizmo's, though further

reading said that nothing would proceed witout it all. So, Accept or Disagree...I Accepted.

Down came all the MSN junk in the universe.

After wrestling with it for 5 hours and phoning a friend

I deleted every thing I could find relating to IE8.

Friend suggested that I try FireFox.

Now I have never strayed away from the paths of MS righteousness..a big jump of fear for me.

Well what do you know ? It all worked well; no forks of lightening or pestilence arrived.

Everything on the web now arrives with a such a speed increase over MS.

So far I am a happy bunny...waiting for Easter.

Thumb Down

Problem is with lack of upgrade for IE6

I simply cannot upgrade IE6 on my PC - I have tried - using Windows update, downloading IE7, physically trying to remove it and nothing works! This is why there are still a high percentage of users. Microsoft should release something that forces an upgrade to at least IE7 then poor developers like me wouldnt have to worry about it so much.

@masterpikey

Come this summer, even that may be out of date - Mobile Safari for iPhone 3.0 just scored 97/100.

Maybe "three attempts" Microsoft will get it right on release nine; that, or will just force thier own 'standard' through. Silverlight, anyone?

Anonymous Coward

Passing Acid 3

"Now the Surfin Safari blog has announced that the team behind Webkit considers that they have passed the test in every aspect."

From the Acid 3 test site. So they are saying somebody out there passes it.

On this one, MS sort of reminds me of public schools in Washington DC: Despite a 4 fold improvement over past performances, they still get a failing miserably grade.

Stop

@Ed Opera supports CSS2.1 just fine thanks..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_(web_browser)#Standards_support

The released version of Opera also scores the highest of the released browsers, and Opera 10 is 100/100 (as are Webkit nightly based browsers).

In short, if you want standards compliance, Opera is where you need to be heading to choose your browser...

Paris Hilton

MSCE

Is it the same score to pass a MSCE exam? Score 20% and graduate with honors. It would explain a lot.

Paris, who has never scored, well not in an exam anyway

Standards? Microsoft?

Don't make me laugh. The only leap I wish to hear in relation to Microsoft, is a big one, off a very large cliff

Unhappy

Still Broken

I've just finished coding a site for a client and can tell you that IE8 is still broken.

I have a simple containing DIV with an internal DIV floated right. The internal DIV has width, padding and margin set and a background image that is set top and right. All browsers display this image in an identical place, except IE. Each version puts it somewhere a little different. IE8 is the best of the MS browsers, but it's still out by several pixels, and it needs to align perfectly for the site design to look right.

So it seems even the basics aren't right in IE8. Surely a box with a width, padding and margin should always be the same total width? I'm not sure if it's the background image that's not in the right place in IE8 or the box model that's screwed, but somethings broken.

My development process normally goes like this. Code the site. Check browsers. Firefox - Check, Safari - Check, Opera - Check, Lynx - Check (should never be a problem with good semantic markup), Screen readers - Check, IE6 - BROKEN, IE7 - BROKEN (in a different way). Now you can add IE8 - BROKEN (in another different way).

The site I've just finished has one CSS for all browsers but MS ones, then three conditional statements. If IE6, If IE7 and If IE8. So now I have to maintain 4(!) different code bases! Thanks MS, keep up the good work.

Joke

@Lager And Crisps

"I am waiting to hear from those that think that an Internet Explorer dominated Internet is to the benefit of mankind rather than a single corporation."

Well personally I have used Internet Explorer *cha-ching* for years and I love it. In fact I think IE6 *cha-ching* IE7 *cha-ching* and IE8 *cha-ching* are the best things ever. It is stable and a joy *cha-ching* to use. I have never had it shit the bed on me and never gotten a virus *cha-ching* from using it. In fact FF, Opera and Safari all pale in comparison *cha-ching* to the glory that is IE *cha-ching*. I always tell everyone I know how great IE is *cha-ching*. I think you all should stop knocking the glory that is IE *cha-ching* and try it.

/accepts nice compensation check for touting the goodness that is IE.

:) There you go hope your happy

Gates Horns

Termites and the art of necromancy...

You know, it's funny. Every time there is a debate over some Microsoft release all of the usual termites crawl out of the woodwork to extol the virtues of the omnipotent fox and/or and his penguin friend...

So far, the comments to this article have been quite amusing (well, some made me laugh anyway!). OK, so there are a few well balanced commentators, for example, Ed in '@Daniel - On the nature of the Acid tests', but for the most part it's the usual evangelical tune that's played at the termite disco every Friday night... 'Firefox will save your soul! IE(n) is the path of the Devil!'. Yada, yada.. *Yawn* To use the beloved Reg terminology, I say to you, 'Tw*tdanglers!' :)

I'll be the first to admit, Microsoft have made a mess of IE from the very beginning (I have had the misfortune of having had to code for IE since the release of IE3), but with the release of IE8 Microsoft have, at the very least, demonstrated that the black art of necromancy may not in fact be total hokum. If they have achieved their stated goal, however belatedly, fair play. kudos to them!

Personally, do i give a flying fig if IE8 'passes' or 'fails' Acid3? Nope. It's a non-argument. Acid3 was, to the best of my knowledge, never a stated goal of the IE team, nor should it have been. Do I care if IE8 does not support CSS3 and HTML5? Nope. Nor should I. I have code to standards, not to drafts. What I would like to see is complete support for CSS2.1 first. As Ed has pointed out above, no major browser is 100% compliant with CSS 2.1 yet. Let's finish with 2.1 before we start throwing mud about lack of support for draft standards eh people?

Whether you and I like it or not we, as developers, have to contend with IE. It's easy to sit here and knock the efforts of the IE team. It takes no degree of intelligence or technical expertise to lambast the efforts of others. As I have already said, if the IE team have achieved their stated goal and moved IE forward, however belatedly, fair play to them!

I get the feeling that the author of the original article wore an evil smile whilst writing :)

Finally, I would like to congratulate certain posters on demonstrating their obvious technical prowess with their abstractions of the words sh*t, w*nkers and f*ucked. That's what I like to see... A rational, adult and technical debate. :)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.