back to article BT names first 29 exchanges for fibre rollout

BT has released new details of its fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) rollout, including a list of the first 29 exchanges to be upgraded to offer faster broadband in early 2010. Engineers will run fibre optic cables between the exchanges and street side cabinets, closer to homes and businesses. Downstream speeds will be improved to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Apocalypse Later

@feck

No, they won't let you change your exchange. They won't even let you pay to upgrade the length of cheap aluminium cabling left in the ground since the forties, that every visiting engineer says is a big part of the problem, in addition to the sheer distance to the exchange.

We still get our internet from standpipes in the street.

2. Greg

@Sarah

I.....am in Brighouse. Nice guess, considering I'm posting from Leeds. Are you in Brig, Ms Bee?

And what's with the "brr"? It's been luvverly up here recently. Besides, I'm a Yorkshire type - we don't feel the cold much. It's all the fur. ;-)

3. Steve Read
    Paris Hilton

40Mb - Hah!

Well, here I am in La Madeleine, just north of Lille, in the land of red wine and more kinds of cheese than you can shake a stick at. 12Mbits over ADSL2+ (attenuation something like 120dB!). Fibre available in the area, 100Mb/s down for 40 euros a month.

Yah boo sucks to you!

Paris. Because. Why else?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

crap copper

you can have 10g or 40g fibre to the cabinet but of the last 100 meters to the property is still crappy shared and thrice sliced bellwire then you're still going to get crap broadband.

I cant wait until 5 companies try to cram their active kit into the street cabs, the active ones

are already noisy and hot. now they'll be worth smashing open to nick the contents.

a new job opportunity for those in the poorer areas?

5. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @Sarah

I spent many years in the House of Brig. I was shuddering at the memory.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@General A. Annoying

its not just population that b.t. were discriminating England for the exchanges but also the English produce $82M gdp per new exchange where as Scotland, Wales and Ireland produce $65M, $43M and $33M respectively

7. Colin Miller
    Thumb Up

@Colin Miller

Thanks Lionel,

The check-by-postcode is here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Its a lot bloody colder in Canada

Briggus (translation Brighouse) isn't all that bad, nor cold for that matter.

I also used to live in the Calder Valley - Lancky side of Halifax as a matter of fact before moving o'er the pond.

In the Sowerby area, we just had 512kb max because of the distance to the exchange through LLU.

For us 1Mb or 2Mb would have been quite nice. I guess that is why they are piloting in this kind of area - there is quite high demand but everyone is so spread out compared to the city.

Can we have a cloth cap icon please?

9. Tom

I cant find in the RFC's

where it says the internet in one country should be screwed up by one monopoly supplier.

Time we all looked at getting wireless mesh working in our areas.

Then we can all get 100MB connections so pointless media companies can send us ever more impressive and contentless flash presentations!

10. steogede

Rural first would make some sense

It would allow the cabinets to be further from the exchange, so they could could consolidate the number of exchanges - then again, perhaps that is why they have largely chosen exchanges which are in clusters close together.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

halifax & pudsey aren't rural

At least when it comes to BT's data links anyway. The data centres running HBOS are based in Halifax & Pudsey. Not exactly a great example of connecting up a rural area as BT manage all of those fibre links.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Rolling out Fibre...

I live 13miles from Edinburgh and I have the same situation.. ironically.. if I lived 2miles up the road.. I would have everything.. cable, ADSL 2, etc etc

It's not fair..

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

\o/

Why the hell should BT fix the existing crap? they are finally saying the current infrastructure is beyond repair and giving up on it. IMO that's the only sensible action they can take. Tis a shame the 2nd biggest City in the UK is skipped but that probably as its well covered with cable. not that I'm covered by that though :(

Still, a multi gigabit connection at work keeps me happy :)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Charming...

Looks like some areas are going to have a choice of fast broadband... Chelmsford already has cable!

Come down the A12 a bit, and some of us are struggling to get above 1mbs on ADSL, and other are still left in dial-up land.

15. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Bangalore exchange?

Every BT office I've been to in the last 2 years had more of our 'offshore' cousins than UK workers.

With the >10000 agency staff cuts in the UK this year, I have a suggestion:-

Perhaps they should change the name to IT and install 21CN in India?

Otherwise I can confirm there are many contractors on the bench in the UK who could do the work these chaps are shipped over to do.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

B*LL*CKS

Half the country doesn't even seem to have ADSL 2, and they're trying to push out the next big thing? I got informed by my ISP they would be supporting ADSL 2, but honestly when it isn't available what's the point?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Smell of cooked books abounds

I can't help but notice the smell of cooked books in all of this.

Did a speed test on BT broadband and it seems that BT's average is 2.18 Mb/s

Concluded: shock! horror! If BT do not do anything then they will have met the 2 Mb/s target and, of course, bonuses all round if you please?

The roll out areas neglect neglected areas and shock! horror! the roll out areas have lots of cables in there anyway? Flummoxed the public again chaps, bonuses all round if you please?

Why not 50 Mb/s by 2010, for each household irrespective of city/rural using a combination of delivery methods?

Where's the verve? The vie? The excitement?

All i smell is cooked books (again).

18. Markie Dussard
    Stop

@Bangalore Exchange?

Perhaps those of us who work with the people you so offensively euphemise as "our 'offshore' cousins" find it a more pleasant and productive experience than dealing with racist ingrates who do nothing but whine about their entitlements.

My experience of BT-based agency contractors (having been one in my time) was that while they were very happy to take the money (although it was never enough, was it?) and the added security of being a disguised employee, they spent most of their time badmouthing the company and whining about what little work they were asked to do. On one very notable occasion two had to be sacked because a fight broke out. One contractor's snoring was disturbing the guy who was trying to play a game in the corner of the same office.

Glad to see the back of them. I value my Indian colleagues far more than those British dipsticks.

19. Greg

@Sarah

Hey! It's not that bad!

OK, it's not that brilliant, but it's not that bad!

A town made up entirely of pubs, restaurants and takeaways, with 2 video game stores thrown in for good measure. Oh no, how will I survive? ;-)

20. VulcanV5
    Paris Hilton

OFCOM

Presumably the taxpayer funded OFCOM will now check to see how many taxpayers are still without even a basic broadband service and decide not to do anything.

Not that it matters: all this rush for speed is truly sad.

Where we are, there's no connection to the exchange because the elastic can't stretch that far and the only engineers we ever see in the streets are employed on lighting the gas lamps at dusk and turning 'em off at dawn around the same time as the knockerupper man comes tapping on our window.

It's grim oop norf.

21. Lionel Baden

@AC

but at the same price ???

22. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @Sarah

I suppose it's no worse than a lot of places, but that's not saying much.

Er, I like what they did with the old mill conversion.

23. Nick

Manchester..

Well, they may be rolling it out for those in the suburbs, but those of us who live in the city centre get naff-all. No cable here, and I'm stuck with ADSL that pretends to be ~6mbit, runs at about 4, gives me huge latency spikes and generally drops out entirely once or twice per night!

24. Pete

Gobsmacked!!

To see my town at the top of the list! Quite well covered by VM though.

25. Bod

Re: crap copper

"you can have 10g or 40g fibre to the cabinet but of the last 100 meters to the property is still crappy shared and thrice sliced bellwire then you're still going to get crap broadband."

The connection from cabinet to house is a dedicated connection. The cable itself isn't much different from cat5 cable and that's rated high enough for fast lan quality (with no shielding), definitely at up to 100 meters.

Cable (e.g. Virgin) however is another matter. They use fibre to cabinet also (not to home as many believe), but the remainder to the house is shared coax like antique old thin Ethernet, with the downstream signal broadcast all over your neighbour's cable and the modem filtering out the traffic specific to you. Upstream is a little more dedicated but a limited resource, but it's still going over cables that are essentially joined to your neighbour's houses and are vulnerable to dodgy signal quality due to poor installations and unterminated connections in their houses.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Go

@markie

You're missing the point.

I'm not racist and made no racist comments, unlike your generalisation of IT contractors. No doubt the standard of contractor has been raised since you left BT, as the one's I worked with were professional and competent.

My point is that while in a recession, wouldn't it be nice for a company like British Telecommunications to give work to British companies/consultants? Obviously this could be applied to many UK companies who continue to offshore.

Most of the offshore people I work with are extremely talented and I value their friendship as well as their skill set.

Hopefully they'll continue to keep BT working until the share price goes up enough for BT to want agency staff back again. ;o)

Thanks for sharing your viewpoint though.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yorkshire locations are pants

WTF did BT choose to install this in some of the most deprived areas in the region?

No one there can afford much more than basic broadband, maybe BT want this trial to fail?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wahey!

Living about one mile away from the Hemel Hempstead exchange I rather hope this means I'll be able to download por... erm, stuff really really quickly, come next year.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@markie

Would just like to add to Bangalore Exchange's comments that all the BT contractors I have come across in my time there have been extremely professional and competent. Good luck to all of you who will be on the outside come next Wednesday and many thanks for all your hard work. You will be missed.

I'm glad that the majority of BT-related debate on this site has always focused on the corporation, and not the people - there's not much any of us can do on a micro level to influence the Phorm debate for example - we are all IT people at the end of the day who work hard to do the best job they can usually in extremely difficult circumstances.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time-outs?

This story keeps timing out, it's taken a dozen attempts for the page to complete (just this one out of all the ones I'm looking at so far). Could this be the most popular El-Reg story so far. So much so that the page is timing out? Show's people's priorities if it is. I can imagine everyone mailing the page to all their mates to check if they're on the list.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

50Mb :p

Yes I joined the speeding Virgin service. But still 50 Megabits thats just rubbish really look at what the Japanese are getting. Ah but Japan is a small Island......!!!!one!!11

32. adamski
    Pirate

Why all the Gripe?

Wasn't it OFCOM who blocked BT investing in infrastructure some 20 odd years ago. So that the fledgling cable compaines could get a foothold?

We would be much further ahead if OFCOM had been on the side of the consumer instead of big business.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like