back to article Privacy campaigner vows legal challenge to Google Street View

A privacy campaigner will launch a legal challenge to Google's Street View service, which was launched today. Simon Davies of Privacy International says that he will pursue "a test case" against Google. Street View comprises 360 degree photographs of a town's streets, and is already live in the US and some European countries. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Mister Cheese
    Go

Privacy laws in public places

Thankfully Google has a bit more cash and lawyers than the average person - so if Google can successfully argue the case that it's permissable to take photos in public without written consent from everyone in the pictures - that might hopefully stop the overzealous law enforcement officers from assuming the opposite. Maybe.

I'd just like to know their schedule so I can make sure the front lawn's been mowed if they happen to drive by!

2. Graham
    Stop

Boooring

First thing: I can walk down pretty much any residential street I want and look at people, I've never had anyone pester me for a permit or some kind of viewing tax.

Second: There's thousands of hours of news footage of people walking down streets. Should we ask the BBC to fork over a couple of million to cover this gross invasion of privacy, or should we start living in the REAL WORLD and realise this would be insane?

If Street View let you click on cars and link to a page of the owner's information, that would be bad. It is ridiculous to suggest there is anything different between walking down a road looking at a car and doing the same thing on Street View. Street View's worse because it happened several months ago! Stop whinging. Either stay in your cave all the time rather than just popping out occassionally to moan, or join this thing called "society".

3. Steven

Builders Bum!!!

My neighbours arse cheeks are in full view - indelibly marked on Google's Street View forever.......

(he was repairing his drive at the time...)

http://maps.google.com/maps?source=earth&ll=52.91106359,-1.15199266&layer=c&cbll=52.91106359,-1.15199266&cbp=1,360,,0,5

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Do not be tricked into giving up YOUR freedom because of something Google does.

I'm firmly on the side of freedom of photography in public places in this argument. Simon Davies is completely tilting at windmills here. It's a shame because he's done good work in the past, but he's really called it very wrong this time.

It is my goddam innate irrevocable human right to walk around public places taking photographs and to do anything I want including publish, exhibit, give away, bend, fold, spindle, mutilate and/or sell those photographs afterward.

If I have that right, and I do, and so does every single one of you, then so do the people working at Google, and there is no grounds to deny it to them without denying it to ourselves too. If you argue Google should be stopped, you're using the same specious bullshit "it's ok when some people do it but not when others do it according to my personal whim" argument that the stupid and repressive plods are always using when they try and stop people exercising their legal rights to take photographs of exactly what they can see with their eyes anyway in public places.

Screw you if you're so precious that you can't bear the idea that you might be on one of them - if you can bear being seen in public by other human beings, fucking stay indoors and never go out you emotional cripple. Don't try and force every single other person in the world to have to go around with a bag on their head so they don't accidentally catch sight of you one day and upset your pathetic feelings.

The "I own the rights to my image" argument is bullshit too. It's a pattern of light waves bouncing off your face in a public place and it is NOT YOURS. If you want to prove ownership, let's see you retain control of those photons eh? You don't own the rain because it falls on your head, you don't own the sunlight because it falls on your face. It's nonsense in law to claim to "own" or have property rights in something you have zero ability to control or restrict others' access to. I have every right to place a photo-sensitive film in the path of the light rays bouncing off your face and there's nothing you can do about it. (If you insist that you do own those photons, I'll have you prosecuted for assault for throwing them at me! Go on, stop doing it if you can!)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The phorm defence

Perhaps Google could apply the "phorm defence" and pony up for a privacy impact assessment by Simon Davies wearing his "80/20 Thinking" cap. It might just turn out that Streetview isn't such a democracy-buster after all, and in any case as it says on the 80/20 site:

"80/20 is led by established thought leaders and opinion formers who are ideally placed to help organizations deal proactively and ethically with the challenges they face."

On the other hand, Google could keep their wallet closed and dwell smugly on the fact that, how ever hard they try, they are unlikely ever to give personal privacy quite the invasive rogering threatened by phorm and myriad other dpi sniffers. And if phorm got a clean bill of health from Government, the ICO and those ever-popular and influential thought leaders and opinion formers, why shouldn't Google?

6. Martin H Watson

If a house is blacked out....

...at the request of the householder, let's all go and take a photograph of it and put it on a website.

7. Andy ORourke

This Blurring Technology is great

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=sw1w9tq&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=22.172703,67.675781&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=51.495781,-0.147083&panoid=alNCyhaEGv_BShEL80frNQ&cbp=12,288.80510422526174,,0,16.14259829918517&ll=51.495733,-0.146942&spn=0.010393,0.021887&z=16&iwloc=addr

8. Andrew Carpenter
    Thumb Up

Oh dear...

.. won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!?

P.S. I for one welcome our new photo-taking overlords.

9. Wayland Sothcott
    Go

Kelvedon and Witham in Essex

Last week I saw the Google car in a couple of Essex towns so I supposed I have been Googled twice!

Go Google Go !!!

10. A J Stiles
    Thumb Down

Way to miss the point

Even if a photograph is taken without consent, there's still a world of difference between it being kept in someone's private photo album for occasional harmless amusement of their friends and family, and being displayed to all and sundry on the Internet as the bait for money-making advertisements.

11. jake Silver badge

@A J Stiles

"Even if a photograph is taken without consent, there's still a world of difference between it being kept in someone's private photo album for occasional harmless amusement of their friends and family, and being displayed to all and sundry on the Internet as the bait for money-making advertisements."

Advertisements? What advertisements? I've consulted my friends & family, and none of us see these so-called "advertisements" that you speak of. Maybe we're missing something ... Could you please help us find these advertisements?

12. Florence Stanfield

Simon Davies split loyalties.

I would have preferred Simon Davies fought for customers privacy from online spying where you can be monitored on everything you see. Just to be sold for commercial gain since if on the ISP netweork you cannot avoid it. Goolge streets if you happen to be in place when the car passes then you might be seen but that is a possible one view not everything you do online 24/7 52 weeks a year.

Phorm, BT with their version of webwise is 100% more intrusive than Googles street car. Sad to say with the payments to Simon Davies for a PIA which according to sources should have been at the very start of Phorms webwise DPI not at the end has created the loss of trust in such as privacy international. Silence from them over this intrusion yet they verbally attack Google.

Think you can delete google cookies and surf undetected but you cannot surf without going through phorms servers copying everything that shows on your screen you just have to take the word from phorm they will not look at your personal data.

Streetcar passes once down a street if you are not out you are not caught a way to avoid it Simon you really do need to rethink your future as you seem to have moved from protecting privacy to trying to hide the invasion.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like