back to article iPhone 3.0 beta reveals mixed blessing

On Tuesday evening, Apple released a beta of the iPhone 3.0 software it had announced that very morn. Details are now hitting the web - big-time. Some of the new features will please iPhoneys, while others spell death for popular applications now available on the iTunes App Store. Apple giveth, and Apple taketh away. Apple …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Gates Horns

Anyone remember Darwin....

OpenDarwin, the Open Source OS from Apple, that was 'officially' scrapped in 2006. "OpenDarwin was originally created with the goal of providing a development environment for building and developing Mac OS X "... as it happens it failed. But, OpenSuse, OpenSolaris etc all provide a blueprint for companies to create a device or OS, invite contribution from coders, and then adopt the idea's into future releases.

In fact, it makes a lot of sense, and it was how Gates et al all met up and got working together on their first and subsequent OS's...

The only time it stings is if Apple actually steel code. Steeling idea's is far to difficult to quantify, and that's how this is similar to companies using viral marketing, profiling etc in the never ending quest to find out what the people want, and how's the best way to deliver it.

Unfortunately, although it makes a good rabble rousing story, i don't think there's anything really wrong with it, as long as all parties go in with their eyes open.

Bronze badge
Flame

Repeat after me

"Palm Pre" "Palm Pre" "Palm Pre" "Palm Pre"

Anonymous Coward

@Anonymous Coward Posted Saturday 21st March 2009 14:50 GMT

Can your current mobile do that? Impressive if it can, but then again as you point out - really specific need!

Silver badge
Happy

Oops!

Last week our resident iDiot jailbroke his iBone just to get cut'n'paste! I feel slightly guilty as I did point him in the direction of the how-to. Ah well, I assume a quick reset to factory defaults and an upgrade to v3.0 when it is released will fix that, followed by a long day of downloading to get his apps back and work out which ones still operate on v3.0. He is gonna KILL me!

Anonymous Coward

@JahBless

yadda yadda yadda. Heard it all before with android, T-Mobile can't give the G1 away...

Thumb Down

O2 change mind on iPhone MMS

In the first few days of 3.0 ,O2-UK were quite happily turning on MMS for those who asked, Now they have changed their tune. This is the email they are sending out:-

Thank you for emailing us about activating MMS service on your iPhone.

I can understand your concern about activating MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) on your iPhone. However, it isn't possible to activate MMS on an iPhone accounts as our iPhone tariffs aren't compatible with MMS.

I appreciate your concern about iPhone developers who're trying to activate MMS on an iPhone accounts. We're looking into this at the moment and further information will be available in due course. This means we're unable to activate MMS service for you currently.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

----------------------

The truth is, for those on the iPhone tariff with MMS enabled the billing system is working with each MMS costing 4 Text messages. So this sounds like holding fire until they can come up with some sort of bolt on at extra cost

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums