back to article Apple plays catch-up with new iPhone features

Apple has announced the new iPhone features due for summer, including several the competition has only had for a decade or so. The upgrade will be free for iPhone owners, although those with an iPod touch will have to stump up another $10 to get to version 3. Anyone desperate to get their hands on the new features earlier could …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

@Really

"How did civilisation cope before all this shit came along? Anyone who wants one of these or any other data-leach portable devices is just a network operator's wet dream"

Blimey, I didn't think these people existed anymore.

Hide ->rock->long time.

Flame

Still no flash support?

Woo, MMS. Yippee, a maps API. Where oh where is the bloody Flash support?

Oh, right, 90% of the apps in the store are lousy versions of Flash games.

Re: Double Standards much?

@Chris

"I do like the way the iFans blast 'every other smartphone' for using third party apps to alter the look and feel, yet their defence for not having tethering/landscape keyboard/voice memos is instantly 'go to the app store!'"

Can't say I've noticed anyone doing both of those things. It's possible that some iPhone fans have said don't use 3rd party apps and some have said do use 3rd party apps.. Just proves that we all have free will and don't have to do what everone else says.

"

And yes my WM6.1 phone does have a skin, but it looks nothing like the gaudy mess of the iPhone, it's a nice standard HTC Home jobbie. Perfectly finger-usable, my stylus stays put. The difference is, I get to decide what apps I'd like to install, not Apple. Why must they hold the users hand so much, are they really that scared that outside their little walled garden the shrubbery is looking a little rough?"

Clearly we haven't used the same HTC Touch interface then. The one I had was a complete mess. Coupled with an OS that took several minutes to start (which wouldn't be a problem but it also used to crash regularly) and was extremely sluggish. More so, actually, than the N95 I replaced it with even though the specs of the N95 were lower than the WM phone.

Yes, I have an iPhone and, despite it's problems (incomplete Bluetooth support being my biggest bugbear), it *is* the most reliable mobile I have had.

Maybe when Microsoft get a proper UI design team to look at Windows Mobile and the handset maufacturers realise that you need more than just a few funky 3d effects to make a good UI, then Windows Mobile will be able to compete.

DR

@ comment above

"Apple isn't perfect. They were the first to make USB useful,"

I fail to see how the USB implementation on the iphone is any better than the USB implementation on my windows smart phone, I use it to download and install apps, (if I don't want to use the built in wifi, or GRPS connection on my phone).

I use it for syncing my calendar, I use it for connecting my phone as a modem, I use it for copying files.

I fail to see how it's done any better on an iphone than on any other device.

It's not that I hate the iPhone, it's just that like the article says, it is behind the times, and the *new* features, are really anything but new features. -at least they aren't new to the rest of the world.

B

@David Harrington

"It has been clear since the launch of the original model that the iPhone has been missing many features which come as standard on other platforms and also that Apple want people to pay extra for basic features which are available for free on most other phones, such as MMS and over the air backup."

- Except that is NOT clear since I'm not paying extra for this update. I get it free. Awwww, -1 point for innacuracy. . . Pity though, you sounded so regal right up until I compared your statement to reality.

"Most people also forget Apple is still a minor player in the mobile phone business."

- Depending on how you measure it, I guess you could say this is true. If you just look at the numbers then they (being a new entrant into the market for not even 2 years now) are definitely minor. If you look at influence and pushing the competitiion which has rested on their laurels for too long, then Apple is a MAJOR player. If they are so minor why are YOU talking about them?

"Finally, the closed nature of the platform is a serious concern - in that respect alone it is much worse than any Microsoft product."

- A concern to who? Not me. Open doesn't necessarily mean better, it just means open. And why would Apple be worse than MS? What is your logic on that skewed statement? If they are both closed then why is Apple worse? Hate much?

"Not to mention the lack of an SDK which actually supports the features of the hardware..."

- Again, -1 for innacuracy. An accurate statement might be phrased "an SDK that doesn't expose ALL the features of the hardware".

It's not often I see a post that is 100% wrong, but you seemed to have nailed it! Congrats, you should be proud, at least you excel at something in life . . . too bad it's at being woefully innacurate.

Boffin

@ Stuart Castle

Look up to the Anonymous Coward at 16:01, an excellent example of sending people to the App Store to cover up failings in the OS. But WM users aren't allowed to use examples of the excellent, free 3rd party apps that improve the OS, oh no.

It's also an excellent example, when discussing the tethering, of Apple denying users a function of their phone for reasons of internal politics. The phone can psycially support it, so can the service providers. It takes me two taps to enable it on WM6.1 and get HSDPA either over USB to my laptop, or via bluetooth. That's built in; there's also a third party app that turns the whole thing into a WiFi Access Point and shares the HSDPA to multiple computers.

As for the HTC interfaces, yes some are sluggish - TouchFlo3D on my Trinity is too slow, but HTC Home works brilliantly, is fully customisable and does exactly what I need. If I want gaudy I can, if I want something a little less offensive to the eye I have the choice, something iPhone users do not.

B

Your comments are so well thought out

"How did civilization cope before all this shit came along? "

Quite right! I mean let's look at a few more examples which illustrate your point as well. . . .

Want to live in a house? Ever heard of a cave?

Want to drive a car to work? What, are you too lazy to feed a horse and saddle it, that you have to get one of those newfangled contraptions?

Want to take a dump on a nice porcelain toilet? You mean you can't find a field nearby with some healthy grass to wipe your arse with?

Want to post your ridiculous hypocritical bitching on a computer? Have you ever heard of pencil and paper, an envelope and stamp? Or how about smoke signals?

Did you really think your post through before you sent it? It's called progress. And since you were posting from a computer instead of using paper to send a letter (see your newspaper rant for a similar comparison) then you seem to have the very same problem you are berating others for. . . .funny how that works, isn't it?

Flame

@chris

How exactly is the ability to add software to a device an OS failing? I have owned several windows mobile devices. The OS is a shocker. Power management is embarrasing. The bad interface is made worse by operators fucking around with it. The available software for it was limited and ridiculously expensive. Htc build quality is extremely low to the extent that the handsets look and feel cheap. The availability of third party hardware addons is poor. Battery life is poor - if the battery runs down the thing looses all the data it has stored on it! Face it, HTC's new "touch" interface is lipstick on a pig. Cheap lipstick at that. Tethering aside (Available in 3.0. AT&T didn't want it, not Apple. This I guess is an understandable compromise to the unlimited data allowance) the iPhone shits on pretty much everything that windows mobile and htc offer, and this free update makes the chasm larger. You wintards are obsessed with ticking feature boxes regadless of how well they are implemented. You generally have the audacity to claim that it's open too!

B
Thumb Up

@Mac Phreak

OMG, there's somebody else on this site who "gets it"! It's not the feature list, it's the implementation. You had me at implementation. You COMPLETE me!

Hilarious

I love fanbois when they try to justify their expensive purchases, but what they fail to understand is charging for standard features through an app store or locking down the OS so it can't be used properly are not bonuses the rest of us appreciate.

One truly outstanding retort was "well it's not rubbish because that was once a feature you could buy until Apple and AT&T decided we weren't allowed to."

I recognise that Mac users are used to buying service packs packaged as new versions of an operating system, but the rest of us are not. We expect a smart phone to have the same features every smart phone has had for the last 10 years. And we expect those features to come as standard, not at $3-$30 a go.

What we certainly wouldn't accept is being told what software we're allowed to run by the previous owner of our phone. I know Apple likes to think they still own all the hardware they've sold, but they need to learn to let go. Some of the people that use iPhones are not Mac users and that means they know how to wipe their own arses.

"I just use my phone to make phone calls, you're just stupid for wanting it to do other things."

And yet you spent $400 to do this? Ok I must really be the stupid one, because I can't see the point of spending the extra $400 over something you can get for free if that's all you want to do.

And my absolute favourite..

"No Bill, technology and features on the iPhone have always been secondary to usability."

Brilliant. We don't have any features or technology, but the phone is really usable. Again, you paid how much for a phone with no features or technology but is really, really usable? Awesome I can make phone calls in landscape.. and portrait.. and landscape.. no I'm not listening to the other person, I'm using my usability and it only cost me $400 to do this.. oooh look another shiny object.. can I give you $1400 for that? It may only be a rock and doesn't have any features such as throwing, but as rocks go it's really, really usable..

Go

Honestly Not A Fanboi

"is there anyone out there that is just *indifferent* about apple? every time theres an article on apple all the hat0rs and fanbois creep out to mindlessly flame each other with meaningless drivel when neither side are prepared to listen. i love it - the futile bickering makes me smile :)"

I can honestly say I'm pretty indifferent to Apple as a whole. I've done some third party support for different Apple products sporadically and my only opinion to the company itself is that they produce products that are different.

I have also demoed several smart phones -- Blackberry, Palm, and a couple of Win Mobile devices -- and can honestly say without bias that iPhone was my favorite device to use. It does have its downfalls, but what device doesn't.

Blackberry was too cryptic to navigate reasonably, Palm just seemed outdated, and the Windows Mobile devices had some serious stability issues. iPhone just seemed like it had the first well designed interface. Sure, it's still lacking features -- which sounds like most will be taken care of now -- and it's stability and perfomance aren't 100 %, but until another better designed and supported interface comes along, this will probably be the last smart phone I own for a while.

Trust me, just give it a try. If you don't like it, you don't like it and I'm sure there's another device out there better suited to your needs. Seriously though, don't knock it until you try it.

features vs usability

Since when did a list of features make for good tech? El Reg used to know the difference.

Thumb Down

Anti-Apple bias

With El Reg publishing such blatantly biased anti-Apple articles such as this one is it any wonder that your request to attend the iPhone 3.0 preview event was turned down? Citing "lack of space" as the reason was just being polite.

You don't have to be Apple fanbois, straightforward unbiased reporting on technology would be fine.

Jobs Horns

@stuart dell : i used apple and threw it out

Stupid overpriced flimsy plastic box. The lid would never quite stay on right. Plug in cards were horrible to mount. Ribbon cables to hook up very expensive floppy drives. An oversized powersupply. Clunky keyboard that was mounted way too high up on the case. A brain dead 6502 cpu that had to spend 50% of its time to retrace the screen because they were too cheap to make real video hardware. All the chips in the cheapest sockets they could find. Every once in a while you needed to push em down because you would have a bad contact. The board was only mounted with a few support points.

Stupid apple 2. I switched to the IBM PC and never looked back.

Jobs Halo

@ Bill Ray

FGS start getting your facts straight on the mobile industry and defrost on apple.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums