Feeds

back to article Aussie firewall blocks Wikileaks

The Great Australian Firewall has claimed another victim - some pages of Wikileaks have been added to the blacklist of websites which Australians are not allowed to look at. The reason for the block is that Wikileaks published a list of websites banned by the Danish government. Australian websites which link to the pages face …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

@Banned Site List Leaked

Sadly though we here in Australia can't read this list as wikkileaks is, of course, banned. It really needs to be posted on a huge number of pages/blogs, hypothetically speaking of course...

Heart

re banned site list leaked

while I can understand wanting to ban:

http://truechristian.com

as it does seem a tad unhinged, I am not entirely sure if it quite counts as illegal content or paedophilia. (Admittedly it was a pretty dreadful site and I could not be bothered searching too far so maybe I missed the illegal content)

I am however very puzzled by the inclusion of:

http://dentaldistinction.com.au/

as I did wander around this site for quite a while without finding the illegal content - are there pictures of children's naked teeth or something??

and :

http://www.maroochyboardingkennels.com.au/

I wonder who has the Job of browsing these sites to find illegal content????

AC - because, umm well I have visited a Dentist and I don't want the AFP knocking on/down my door one morning....

strange smiley heart face thingy because it looks like the stickers my dentist gives out to kids....

Flame

depressed aussie

my first response to all those slamming aus and aussies was basically eff-you - then had to concede you're basically right... I'd blame the govt - full (on both sides) of repressed, self-righteous luddites but then a people always get the govt they deserve. it's difficult to contain the contempt for my fellow aussies who passively or actively support this censorship.

Happy

@Freedom...we've heard of it!

To my limited knowledge Canada still has pretty wide open access to the Internet. Unfortunately, this surprises me as we have elected the most Conservative government in years, but I hope that was a anomaly.

Fortunately, they don't have the popular support to enact legislation that would upset a broad segment of the population.

Canada, welcoming the openminded from all corners of the world. Come on over!

@ Anonymous Coward: Now Here's A Funny Thing

Same here, using BT business at work.

I get "curl: (7) couldn't connect to host" from our server in the Fatherland so I'm guessing it's a wikileaks issue rather than a nefarious global censorship plan.

Still trying to find a proxy in Sweden (where www.wikileaks.com is hosted) to confirm this though!

Flame

Possible blocking of Wikileaks in the UK

Yup, wikileaks is unavailable in the UK today - it *may* be a problem at their end, however, there's a court case going on right now between the Guardian and Barclays, and the Guardian just lost their appeal against the terms of an injunction that forbids publication of some confidential documents. Barclays *know* these are already on wikileaks - I'm wondering if there isnt' a parallel injunction ordering all british ISPs to block Wikileaks.

I urge anyone whoc an check this out to do so asap.

Black Helicopters

Re: Now Here's A Funny Thing

I can't reach Wikileaks, either. I've also tried via an anonymizing service, just to check, and it's not working that way, either.

DNS look-up gives the IP number for both www.wikileaks.com and www.wikileaks.org as 88.80.13.160, which is also what comes up in a Google search for "wikileaks", but sending my browser straight to that address isn't working either, whether directly or via the anonymizing service I tried.

Seems it may well be the Wikileaks site that's down.

Paris, because it looks like she's asking questions, too.

Boffin

Avoid the blocks

The blocks are performed on DNS level. There are two ways to bypass them. Use OpenDNS and your own DNS (Bind). I recommend both, as it is a good idea to run your own DNS server.

Gold badge
Joke

JIBBER-JABBERWOCKY

"The curious Mandersnatch!"

I think one of these is now our Minister for Business.

Anonymous Coward

Wikileaks also unavailable in Turkey

İ don't think the site is blocked, probably gone down due to the mass of El Reg readers flooding the site.

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

jibber jabber

heh... turgid wood... love it.

Paris, cos she would nay shun some turgid wood.

Anonymous Coward

@David Wiernicki

Now just look here, you (insert expletives here) American ...

Warrantless wiretaps, CIA rendition, torture, Iraq, Abu Ghraib, no fly lists, border searches and seizures, Waco, Columbine, Global Warming (mostly caused by Americans), minimum wage below the poverty line, no working health system, ignorance on a pandemic scale, Rodney King, the Christian Right, the worst corporate failures in history (you idiots caused the whole Global Financial Crisis), hicks in pick-up trucks, voting rorts, drug culture, 12.5 million out of work and climbing fast, obscene executive excesses, George W. Bush for the last eight years and, to top it all off, your weak-as-piss beer. And you have the audacity to say "things are really pretty good over here"?

Australia's "Great Firewall", that no-one outside of politics and a few lobby groups actually wants, is not yet in play - it's still being debated, publicly. Yes, that's right - actual public and Parliamentary debate. And there's a good chance it won't be implemented.

I've travelled in the USA extensively over the last two decades and have relatives and colleagues there. Don't you dare try and tell anyone living in the UK, Australia, Canada or New Zealand that your country is better.

So shove that up your Guantanamo Bay.

(PS: Hi, Sarah. Hope your day improves.)

Go

Hmmmm...

Google is no longer displaying Wikileaks.org when you search for it in Australia. Had to find it the hard way by typing it in instead In a degree of fairness, you do get a lot of articles about wikileaks and the Great Australian Censorship Conspiracy.

On a plus note I can reach wikileaks.org.uk

Anyone who would like a copy of the Barclays document can contact me on the following throwaway account:

barclaysbollocks@mail.com

I look forward to hearing from you...

Go: Coz you should go for it.

Anonymous Coward

@ jonathan HAHA no! That's even worse.

"This will lead to either the censors being overworked through the sheer volume of work imposed by the millions (I hope there are millions) of studious El Reg readers, or they will block all websites presented resulting in pretty much an internet black out"

All they will do is make a law prohibiting people from making false claims and / or wasting their time and money

Anonymous Coward

Wikileaks Access

It worked for me a minute ago (wikileaks.org was the first hit in Google, and I could browse the site without problems).

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the Barclay's document?

Anonymous Coward

Jenni

I am a kiwi living in oz. The NZ govt has bought in a copyright law which makes ISP providers police, judge n jury, as they have to disconnect users who repeatedly flout copyright laws. This was to come into law on 1 Mar 09 however, it's on hold cause the ISP's are having trouble working out how to implement it. lol. How's that then????

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.