Yes, you can open an iMac. Yesterday, Apple announced a new iMac family, and by this morning the good folks at iFixit had already got their hands on a 20-incher, gutted it, and learned some interesting facts about the all-in-one desktop. For one, although the processor "appears to be socketed," there's a warning printed on its …
@ Danny Thompson
I don't know who you are referring to, but a "desktop" with a cut-down netbook keyboard is probably the worst idea. Ever*. Some of us actually *use* computer, you know. If just looking at it and thinking "Woaw it's gorgeous" satisfies your needs, good for you. The rest of us will go buy a real computer instead (or just a new keyboard, for the mactards).
* The "let's cram a laptop in a monitor and call that desktop" one was already quite crappy, if you ask. Apple got away with it because most people just do a bit of wordprocessing, emailing and web browsing, you could sell them an old casio calculator hooked to a shiny monitor and tell them it's a supercomputer, they'd believe you. But this keyboard thing is bound to annoy someone.
@Martin - positioning the iMac
Martin says, "These things are going in the living room instead/next to the TV."
I don't see people upgrading the motherboards in their televisions.
I do see a lot of iMac's in bedrooms INSTEAD OF televisions...
I am seeing more MacBooks in bedrooms lately, though... replacing older iMac's.
It seems iMac's are showing up on the desktops of a lot of businesses, now a days. They seem to make a good computer for a receptionist in small businesses, since they run MS Office and require next to no software maintenance.
No keypad on the keyboard? ABOUT FUCKING TIME! I have not used the keypad on a keyboard in over 20 years, yet I'm still stuck having the fucking useless thing stick out, without a choice. I'd rather have the mouse that much close to my hands, and not having to waste so much keyboard tray real-estate. Finally something done right.
"Mac's are crap and expensive" Ah the failed mating call of the soon to be extinct lesser-green-eyed-vista-troll.
The keyboard is full size, with full size buttons and everything! It only looks small because the monitor is some what larger then the ones you are used to seeing in your cube farm.
@raving angry loony
"I have not used the keypad on a keyboard in over 20 years, yet I'm still stuck having the fucking useless thing stick out, without a choice."
I'd reckon you're not an accountant, or have a job that doesn't require extensive number entering. Because I use it very frequently, and most of my colleagues use it as well.
Seems you're spending an inordinate amount of time in various bedrooms... Care to explain?
Most people don't need it. But they are faster for numerical entry. You can buy a USB one for laptops or desktops though.........................................
I have to say that the criticism of the lack of one seems needlessly bellicose. I had thought that the era of the mainframe style "BattleShip" keyboard had passed.
- Review Ubuntu 14.04 LTS: Great changes, but sssh don't mention the...
- Vid CEO Tim Cook sweeps Apple's inconvenient truths under a solar panel
- Antique Code Show WTF happened to Pac-Man?
- HTC mulls swoop for Nokia's MASSIVE Chennai plant
- Study shows dangerous asteroid impacts hit Earth every six months