Feeds

back to article Woman sues over Vista to XP 'downgrade' charge

A woman is suing Microsoft for allegedly charging her extra to downgrade from Windows Vista to XP. Emma Alvarado bought a laptop pre-loaded with the Vista Business edition of the operating system from Lenovo on 20 June 2008. However, she didn’t want to keep Vista on the machine so she paid the computer vendor an additional $59. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Stop

Car reference hell

I assume the previous poster is middle management, and can only think in terms of small BMWs and powerpoint pie charts.

I would liken it to the mid 80s, when the Rover 800 replaced the SD1. The Police forces buying 800s then realised they preferred the room and power of the SD1. Rover would have happily swapped the 800 for one of the stockpiled SD1s lying about, however the dealer would still charge for putting on the lights, livery, equipment etc. There would be no use suing Rover for the costs, they offered the downgrade for free, it was up to the dealer to charge for getting the car, refitting it to spec etc.

(Yes I know the forces themselves stockpiled the mighty SD1 V8, but I don't think businesses had the foresight to purchase warehouses of boxes of XP pro).

Silver badge
Linux

Hmm

At least now she can have a taste of what us Evil Penguin-Shagging Communists™ have had to put up with for ages.

Just goes to show, Microsoft's main competition is *not* Linux, Mac OS or other vendors' software, but old (though nonetheless perfectly serviceable) Microsoft software. Otherwise, they wouldn't have to keep changing the file formats used by Office -- or keep them proprietary. (If Office supported an open standard, there would never be a reason to upgrade it.)

Vista = buying a car with square wheels

Then having to pay extra for round ones (XP)

Bronze badge

@Here's an idea

Nice idea, but one reason it will fail, the profit on selling machines is very tight, the real money is in support contracts through third parties. The cost of shipping, storing and generally messing about with CDs would be peanuts in small numbers, as it was many moons ago. Long remember buying Gateway kit and getting a big stack of MS CDs with everything I needed, just in case. Over time more and more PCs were sold and that added up to a lot of messing about for the supplier. The easier option is state upfront what you get and then sell that. Clean and simple, keeping costs down and profits up.

May not agree, I too would love the CDs, but those days are long gone and anyway think of the penguins and polar bears with all this throwaway crud we keep asking for!

Happy

I hope she wins

And gets to smack MS right in the bollocks. It serves them right for contractually (abusing their monopoly status) forcing the vendors to install Fista on the machines and giving the Fista to their customers when the customers really only want XP. Hit them where it hurts the most.

Silver badge
Linux

@Kain Preacher

'No it's like Nissan only selling a GT-R with the new 'anvil attached to the back feature' THEN charging you $60 to remove the anvil as an upgrade.'

"And saw the anvil and still bought it.'

Well, if Nissan are the only car maker in town and all their cars come with anvils then sure, why not? I need a car after all, it's not my fault I can't buy one without a damn anvil on the back.

Stop

Why Not

I've had an option for a long time to buy Dell computers without an OS. It comes with some DOS thing. Also had an option for Linux for awhile as well. It is funny, on some of the lines of their products you can get the XP download for free and on others you have to pay something like $40 or so. So I'm guessing the manufacturer has the discretion on a lot of this.

Bronze badge

@Goat Jam

Well, if Nissan are the only car maker in town and all their cars come with anvils then sure, why not? I need a car after all, it's not my fault I can't buy one without a damn anvil on the back.

You can always get a mac , or find a vender that still has XP

Happy

MS dropped th ball so hard...

with Vista that they deserve to be sued. How can a company that is that large and with that much money totally f*** *p an OS so badly? They released, for sale, an OS that was so nonfunctional it has become a joke amongst consumers and MS are distancing themselves from the name. I mean come on SP1 was released earlier that one would have hoped was necessary and they still couldn't fix it.

This is that PROFESSIONAL software company that people give money to so that they can then be told what they are allowed to do with the software they parted with their own money for, but can't really be sure what is does as the software is closed source and not for viewing.

Yet, when they write really bad software the MS apologists are out in force. I wonder how well that pays, maybe I could be getting paid to be going to websites and blogs and writing about how much I love MS and how great their software is....nah still couldn't do it.

Smiley face, just for fun.

Bronze badge

Dell

I looked on thier web site and Dell is charging $150 more for XP

Linux

Then use Linux you stupid cow!

Why the hell are you buying something from a company that you know is shafting you? Either use Linux, buy a Mac, or get in line with the others and drink the fucking M$ Kool-aid. to tthose complaining that you paid -- you're part of the problem you retards, you're paying M$ to fuck you.

If you're using M$ and you're happy, fair enough, if it works use it -- but don't complain that it is what it is.

@dervheid: Then what is a Mac, a type of toaster? A fishing lure? It's a Personal Computer -- a "PC" if you like.

Oh, and I've managed to buy a desktop and a netbook recently without paying the M$ tax -- and I've seen enough places selling OS free laptops not to worry about what to buy if I want one.

Bought a refurbished unit because of XP Pro

When my wife needed a replacement recently for her XP desktop, we bought a Dell refurbished by Joy Systems at Micro Center instead of a new computer, precisely because the refurbished unit came with XP Pro instead of Vista.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.