Feeds

back to article Joker must retire, insist Heath Ledger fans

Fans of the late Heath Ledger have launched a net campaign aimed at ensuring that his performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight remains the ultimate and definitive outing for the character. That's according to website The Ultimate Joker, which is pressuring Hollywood to retire the Joker on the grounds that Ledger's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

it's not so much that it's film critics

....it's hit on a nerve..... the whole grief athlete thing.

None descript drug using actor tops self !=best performances in film ever

None descript drug using muso checks out under the 'fluence != best albums in genre

jeez you can even do it on the cheap by getting offed while having no discenible talent but cute enough, fashionable enough, or simply reported publically enough to hit critical mass with the burberry wearers..

Folks were damn near lynched in this chav benighted burg if they said anything bad about Princess bleedin' Diana at the time of her demise. Actually, not even bad, anything other than fullsome praise would set off the grief athletes...... "Oh She's a saint on earth"....Saint on Earth ? My hairy arse ! Bullimic Sloaney, self publicist, control freak more like....... Like deceased muso's, actors, god knows who..... a trace of celebrity+death==sainthood in the eyes of the masses these days, and that's these Heath Ledger web2.0orrea types to a T.

kk

Mark Hamil

aka Luke Skywalker will always be the definitive Joker for me. Well his voice anyway!

Tom
Heart

Jackky N

Jack Nicholsons was much better! just because of the tradgedy surrounding Heath, people think they need to jump on this stupid bandwaggon, the same effect could be noted when Princess Di Died...

Idiots

People like that infuriate me.

Tragic as his death was, and excellent as his portrail of the character was, he was only an actor.

Actors come and go, the characters live on forever.

Aren't we a little bit desperate for stories here?

'sad fans call for something non IT related on the Internet' isn't exactly news!

The Dark Knight was pretty good, but didn't achieve classic status due to a muddled plot and flawed scenes. Originally I thought Tim Burton's Batman would be very difficult to top, but then Batman Begins came along and proved me wrong. I hope Batman Begins is topped again, sometime.

It really is pretty sobering how many reinventions comic book characters have had over the years to remain relevant to each new generation of readers. Having said that, I have trouble believing some of the 70s characters weren't incredibly naff, even at the time..

Probably the same crowd will bemoan the departure of David Tennant from Doctor Who, and then a month later shout loudly about how marvellous Matt Smith is...

Simple solution...

...ban these emo kids from watching any future Batman movies. Problem solved.

Stop

never forget ...

There's always more than one Joker in a pack!

Dan
Thumb Up

when then...

...you might as well also retire the character of Mr. Freeze since Arnold Schwarzenegger was pinnacle of character interpretation in that role.

Anonymous Coward

heh

keanu reeves as batman + tom cruise as joker = shit film

Silver badge
Dead Vulture

@ Rob Dobs

I'm talking about the riduculous public outpourings of grief for people whom I never met, but who nonetheless died probably in some more or less horrible fashion. To be expected to show any respect for total strangers -- when, to be brutally honest, I never even cared up until now whether they were alive or dead -- cheapens my relationships with the people I know.

Incidentally, I bet Jade Goody will get two minutes .....

Paris Hilton

Meh

Am I the only person who thinks batman films (as with all superhero films) are completely overrated?

Unhappy

GET A FUCKING LIFE

Surely these people have better things to do?

If they didn't spend so much time dealing with other people's lives they may be able to do something great with there.

Anyway I'm off to feed a homeless person then fight some terrorists and finish the night off with a bit of time machine inventing.

Nev
Dead Vulture

Oh FFS!

Does anyone else she death-of-someone-famous induced hysteria a la Diana, Princess of Wales in all this?

Now looks like all someone has to do to win public adoration and critical acclaim is to cark-it.

(No matter how mediocre their oeuvre really is.)

Hopefully some celebs will take it upon themselves to try for this type of praise.

Death: The new black?

Thumb Up

Mark Hamill?

Mark Hamill is the best joker...if only he had the look. But for me, his voice is the Joker's voice!

Agree, but for different reasons

I agree that Hollywood needs to give the Joker a rest, but not necessarily because Heath did a great job (which he did). I think we've gone back to the Joker well enough times. It's time to give the character a rest and delve into the other 40-odd villains in the Batman mythos. The Joker went out with a stellar performance. I'm not against bringing him back under the right circumstances, but geeze, let's try something else for awhile.

Ed

Well

I did not know ledger, but i would like to think that his response to all this would be along the lines of "what a bunch of wankers"

Anonymous Coward

Love that Joker

The same people who bitched when Heath was cast as the Joker are now saying no one else can play him.

Stop

actually an insult?

Wait, so they think Mr Ledger would have wanted the Joker buried with him? That anyone else playing the Joker would have offended him?

So, they're saying he was an arrogant, pompous, arse, and that everyone should respect that?

I don't think these Heathtards have thought this through.

Anonymous Coward

They said the same after JFK died.

Retire the role ...

.. and they did.

Flame

In other words:

Never rub another mans Rhubarb...

Last Thursday's Eastenders was the best there could possibly be.

I demand no more episodes are ever made!

Dumb!!

I watched the Dark Knight, hoping for a really amazing performance and was mildly let down in all aspects. That includes the role of the Joker.

I remember when he was still alive and the film buffs were all "Heath can't do the Joker, he's not good enough" I actually agree witht hem.

M
Linux

Hmmm

If Heath Ledger were alive now...

He would be scrabbling like mad on his coffin lid. (Apologies for forgetting who said the original quote.)

Alert

Get a grip?

I know its tragic he died at a relatively young age etc but its only batman ffs

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.