Feeds

back to article Jacqui Smith cracks down on gangs via computers, closets

The government will hit gangs where it hurts - on the internet and in their wardrobes. Home Secretary Jacqui Smith today announced plans to insert provisions into the Policing and Crime Bill that would allow courts to impose a range of restrictions on individuals. These include not allowing individuals to enter a "specified …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Dan
Silver badge
Alert

Am I going mad?

Legal powers for the fashion police to enforce correct dress code... I think she's reaching a level of madness that makes me start to doubt my own sanity.

Thumb Down

FIT like?

How long before the "balaclava" provision is used to aid spying on a political demonstration?

Oooh, about a week after the legislation goes through.

Less than a week before photographing a cop becomes illegal:

fitwatch.blogspot.com

In order

for the anarchy which will blossom around 2015 to take place and for chaos to spread like any form of fire at all (why does wildfire get all the press?) there must first be something to oppose.

Things will get worse before they get better, it's unfortunate but true.

But when it does happen think of this; you let it happen. You sat and read articles; you complained on El Reg but what else did you do? Gathered to march and demonstrate no matter the consequences? or did you wait for the next story to complain about, and the next, and the next and then....no more ability to complain......the reason things like this can happen in Britain is obvious; British people complain a lot, and understandably so in many case, but are very slow to actually do anything about. Sitting in a chair complaining never solved anything.

I no longer live in the UK (thank [insert deity name]) and intend to move further away than I currently do so I shall make no stand as I live there not but if i did, there are ways to resist which are listened to and do not involve violence

Pirate

re: Look to the obvious

Hmmm. The police all wear the same gang uniform. So do the various branches of the armed forces.

Then again, individuals are easier for the gangs of police to intimidate than groups of people.

Oh, and what about the grey pinstripe suit "gang colours" on Saville Row?

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: In order

With all due respect, it's kind of hard to take that kind of admonishment on political inertia from someone whose contribution to Le Resistance was to leave the country. I'm sure you didn't do it for those reasons but, y'know, just undermines your tutting from where I'm sitting.

Silver badge

Will someone please

please please have sex with her? That hormonal impalance is driving her absolutely raving mad crazy.

RE: Move along citizen - I'd take headcrabs and Metrocops anyday rather that NuLabour and Jacqui Smith, just give me that crowbar and an HEV suit.

Joke

Wardrobe servers

I keep a functioning web/email server in my wardrobe. Will Jacqui Smith now be coming after me ?

Flame

The answer to the question...

'We asked the Home Office why it needed to add these provisions to the bill - which has already had a second reading - if the powers are already available under the Local Government Act.'

Simple answer is 'So that we can hide the really nasty draconian ones in amongst the thousands of pointless laws.'

Burn 'em all.

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

@Bitsucker

Bit late to say it's not far-fetched, old chap

22 September, 2005

"A girl was arrested for wearing her "Bollocks to Blair" T-shirt at the Midlands Game Fair last weekend. Charlotte Denis, 20, a gamekeeper from Gloucestershire, was stopped by police as she left the Countryside Alliance stand because of the "offensive" slogan."

See www.horseandhound.co.uk/competitionnews/392/68779.html or use Google.

Thoughtcrime is with us, my children.

Be afraid.

Be very, very afraid

Silver badge

We're just lucky, I guess

How lucky we are to live in a wonderful 21st century free, democratic society. (Rich, too, don't forget that).

No wonder our dear leaders can't resist sending the pitiful remnants of our once-great armed forces to kill Asians until they see the light and agree to become free like us.

"The bombings will continue until morale improves..."

Alert

Re: FIT like?

"Less than a week before photographing a cop becomes illegal:

fitwatch.blogspot.com"

Suddenly, Bob Quick and his wife's car hire business comes to mind.

Unhappy

clothing?

Interesting, does it mean that a person restricted from wearing headgear that prevents ID is now not allowed to wear a crash helmet when riding his moped etc. Or if its raining carrying an umbrella.

I dont agree with the yob problem, but it was labour who destroyed the very good youth club system and told the youngsters to vanish up their own behinds, so now they are attempting to come out with even sillier demands. Poor Asians, no burccas, no bandages.

An analogy, when I have a problem with a bit of kit I look for the cause and rectify it. Not just turn the radio up.

You just don't get it

Jacqui is sending out "The Right Message"

None of this will actually happen.

Clicked NONE icon.

Anonymous Coward

Someone stop her!

Would it be possible to use this legislation to prevent the Home Secretary from entering the "specified place" of Parliament (or the UK, for that matter), and ban her from using and threatening to use half-baked legislation?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.