back to article Google mistakes entire web for malware

A human error at Google caused its main search engine to briefly identify every site on the web as a potentially malicious destination that represented a threat to end users, the company said. Starting early Saturday morning California time, the world's largest search engine flagged each search result with the warning: "This …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Julian I-Do-Stuff
    Happy

@Pete

Reminds me of a -sane - government official responding to a pestering about some imagined danger to public health/safety on Radio 4 years ago ...

After repeatedly telling the interviewer that there was no significant risk, that the risk was insignificant, that whilst it was theoretically possible the likelihood was negligible, the interviewer hit him with a perfect...

"Yes, bit it *is* possible, isn't it?" (=all Radio 4 listeners should begin/continue to panic)

To which the weary interviewee responded, patiently, but with the gentle sigh of someone seeking to reassure a child, "Almost everything is almost always a possibility."

Pause. Silence. End of interview.

The only certainty in life is death - even taxes are optional (NB, the British invented Income Tax - a "temporary measure" if I recall my history correctly - to pay for the Napoleonic wars; if we disinvented it, would the rest of the world follow again?)

2. sauerkraut
    Happy

i typed google into goole...

... lo and behold: the internet was broken!

3. BoldMan
    Paris Hilton

Worked ion IIE but not Firefox? Shurely shome mishtake?

So if the problem was with Google, how could it affect one browswer but not another? Explain please?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Safety first

Since all sites could potentially be compromised and contain malware, this new approach makes sense.

Wait, they reverted it?

5. Martin Eriksson

Just wait for the lawsuits to roll in...

I'm just waiting for a flurry of lawsuits to roll in... 40 min of no google referrers would be a significant chunk of change for alot of large e-commerce sites... Not to mention the click-arb sites stuck in between, and the people that rely on PPC for their business...

/bfg

6. Simon R. Bone
    Thumb Down

Lost income and loss of site reputation??

Class action potential?

7. mittfh
    Boffin

Technically, they could be right...

There's no way Google can tell what's happened to a webpage since it was last spidered...

OK, so the pages on most well-known big domains are likely to be fairly innocuous, but once you start trawling through individual users home pages, anything could have happened in the past few months...

Then again, 99% of malware exploits Windoze boxes, and I'm typing this on a Linux box - so unless the malware is smart enough to hack the root account, I think I'm pretty safe...

8. Dan Moore

Lawsuits?

I don't think so. It's not google's responsibility to provide traffic to your website. Reminds me of some clients we have - "My website ranking has dropped, have you got a number for Google so I can tell them to fix it?"

9. Andus McCoatover
    Happy

RE:Worked ion IIE but not Firefox? Shurely shome mishtake?

Er, if that was aimed at me, pse re-read comment.

(Sheesh, Flies-on-my-Sacred-Cow!)

Thank You very many. Kiitoksia paljon.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Familiar tactic

I stopped using Nod32 AV because it told me just about everything installed on my PC was malicious software. (and I was too lazy to bother doing anything about it). Perhaps they've started using that as their corporate AV solution? :D

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

This crap can be turned off...

I'm sure there's an option in FF to turn it off. To non-techies it *would* look, though, like the whole damned web was down.

I hate Google.

12. Doug Glass
    Paris Hilton

Jeez, Don't People Know.....

... Google is not the web? All you had to do was use a bookmark or type in the address. Or search using another search facility....such as [God forbid] Yahoo.

13. Niall

Re:Statistics

and how many people ignored it?

14. Simon Harris
    Joke

Gooigle said even Google wasn't safe...

Yes, I admit it - I typed Google into Google and it broke the internet

15. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

TDWTF... first for all your tech news

Well, we covered it there at 14:35 GMT.

Then again at 14:43 and 14:53. So we were first to publication :-P~~~

(It's now 16:12 and a google news search for "google malware" (no quotes) has the earliest reference as:

Google crashes; says all Internet is bad

iTWire, Australia - 1 hour ago

Clicking on any search results takes me not to the page in question but to a Google page advising of the risks of malware. I am told I can continue on if ...GOOG)

16. Kas Thomas
    Thumb Up

Script to keep Google "harmful" page from appearing

If this happens again, there's a useful Greasemonkey script at http://tinyurl.com/c53hhe for routing around the Google warning page.

17. Ville Ahl
    Black Helicopters

Worldwide?

This gestapo thing deserves a black helicopter. I were doing some happy googling when the intarwebs went dead... quick switch to yahoo to find out what google badware alliance actually is. As a result i think i'll skip on google, if i can dodge that overlord of the internets. I mean, anonymously sending an alert that isn't even researched by stopbadware.org, and your site is unreachable by the formerly blue G giant. It makes me wonder though that why oh why is the el reg not on badware list all the time, considering the people you make angry daily.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

The clueful wouldn't have noticed...

...because they don't use Google...and their HOSTS file is filled with Google-blocking entries.

19. dave

@ideala2...

...now Google's working properly again, you can use it to research the difference between a TLD and an URL :)

20. Frank Sutton
    Thumb Down

Internet gone bad

I personally think this should be a wake up call to all internet users.

I'm now starting to think "monopoly" (microsoft springs to mind), what if in 10 years time and google's beaten all other search engines into ground and this happens? Most techs would be fine but bugger me would the rest suffer.

I now firmly believe Google's access gateway to information is far to powerful right now, let alone 10 years in the future.

"Do no Evil" yeah right.

21. Arty Effem

Dear Head Programmer,

This oversight may harm your career.

22. Chronos
    Thumb Up

Single point of failure

Title says it all. What a bloody great idea to castrate the Internet, which was designed from the ground up NOT to have any single points of failure, by introducing one. EU take note, this is what they'd like to have everyone use, so take the advice they give you when you're fabricating that Internet Rule Book out of whole cloth with much NaCl. [1]

I wonder if Fx3's "safe" browsing took a hit, too? I can't tell as it's turned off and the lookup URLs munged about 30 milliseconds after I install Fx on any of my systems, but IIRC that all comes from the Goog, too. If I ever decide to rummage through the code, I might just make a port that disables this "functionality" out of the box and replaces Google with Scroogle SSL as the default search plugin.

On that note, what should I call the unbranded results, since I'm not allowed to call it IncandescentVulpine for trademark reasons? I'm thinking Earthbadger, which sounds nice; wouldn't that look bloody wonderful in your httpd logs? I'll give ElReg the diff and they can call it Airvulture, in keeping with the [mystic elements][animal] naming scheme. Or I might just be a lazy bastard and go back to using Konq ;o)

[1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/15/neutrality_in_europe_analysis/

23. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Side-effects!

ROFL poor old stopbadware.org effectively got DDoS'd, as they suddenly got millions of visits from confused googlers following the link given on the warning pages that every single one of them was now seeing....

24. Graham O'Brien
    Paris Hilton

I beat Ollie so there!

I emailed our beloved Moderatrix - oddly enough, google sites were not flegged as hazard, juet everyone else ...

... I though it was because I had googled for a recipe for coq-au-vin ...

Paris for obvious reasons

25. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Only Windows users affected

Linux and Mac are safe :)

26. Christopher
    Boffin

statistics

What I want to know is what yahoos stats looked like during that 45min period. I can imagine they got bombed with traffic especially since i was struggling to get their site to respond during the period.

nice screen shots... look very similar to the ones i emailed the register at 15:13.

27. Dan

Warning against themselves

Ian Visits has a lovely screenshot of Google telling users that Google could harm their computer.

http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2009/01/31/google-thinks-every-website-could-harm-your-computer/

28. Adam Williamson
    Thumb Down

ORly?

"Google mistakes entire web for malware"

Mistakes?

40% of it wants to sell you crap you don't need, 40% of it wants to waste your time, and the other 20% is hawking viruses to take over your computer so they can sell you crap you don't need and waste your time ALL THE TIME.

I'd say Google's right on the money ;)

29. Pierre
    Coat

My bad

Sorry folks, it's my fault. I dropped the internet. Must have caused a glitch. It seems to be OK now. I'll take it back to Big Ben before something really bad happens.

PS Cade, we all know you're on a personal crusade against the Big G (yes, they ARE a big nasty corporation hell-bent to making money. Hey, guess what, the *entire* US -world?- economy is!), but putting stuff like "blocking access to the entire net" in this abstract makes you sound like a raving loonie, sorta.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

THHGTTG

Harmless -> Mostly Harmless -> Gone

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

Google finally gets it right, and they fiddle to turn it back as it used to be ?!?

32. Sam Tana
    Paris Hilton

No "OK" button

The worst thing is that the standard malwear warning advises users that the requested site "may harm your computer" but that you "may continue at your own risk" but supplies no obvious method of doing so. There's no "OK" button. Unless you know to manually change the URL in your browser (or use another search engine) you're goosed.

Paris, because she likes being goosed.

33. Dom

Re: No "OK" button

If you don't know how to manually change the URL or use another search engine, then you don't know enough to be allowed to take your browser somewhere dangerous.

34. n
    Joke

CAN'T..STOP ..HAND..MOVING...TOWARDS...KEYBOARD....ARGHHH....

FIRST !!

35. Lionel Baden

i dont think

That i have ever noticed that warning before in my life !

And if i did i would promtly ignore it.

Because i will not download a new video codec from some random link

36. mr.K

Human error?

Isn't human errors limited to humans? I thought that Google only had Oompa Loompas running their factory.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FIRST!11!1!

Da tarnet, she's broken. Ma Google ain't workin anymore.

38. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like