Feeds

back to article US mulls clicks for cameraphones

Dumb law of the day comes from the US where consideration is being given to making it illegal to sell cameraphones which do not make a click noise when a still picture is taken. The "Camera Phone Predator Alert Act" would forbid selling of phones which have a means to disable or silence the tone. Should the law ever pass it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Doesn't go far enough

I think law should require people to make a whooping noise whenever they see something, err, inappropriate. Women can't wolf whistle, hence the whooping.

Alert

PMSL - USA madness strikes again

PMSL, I see the USA is on form already this year for completely stupid ideas.

Alert

Poor wording

"The "Camera Phone Predator Alert Act" would forbid selling of phones which have a means to disable or silence the tone."

Surely the "have a means" should be "provide a means". All phones have the means to disable or silence the tone, as someone's pointed out you can unscrew the back and remove/disconnect the speaker. So now all mobile phones are going to be illegal in the US.

Complaint

I took my Nokia into the school showers to take pictures but it stopped working. I think the water got into it.

Could I have my money back please?

Anonymous Coward

Parents will think this is wonderful

...right up until all the quiet bits of a school play or music recital get interrupted by faux shutter noises. (Parents who can't work out how to turn off a flash are bad enough.)

Incidentally, the reason that people might think of applying this to camera phones rather than just cameras is that someone holding a camera is obviously in a position to take a photograph. Someone on a tube train with a camera phone can just look like they're making a phone call (rather than trying to take blurry, grainy, out-of-focus shots up someone's skirt).

But it's still a dumb idea. I'm also inclined to take photographs of wildlife, including sleeping pets, in aesthetic places of worship, and - should I see one - would quite like to be able to take a quiet picture of a crime in progress without putting my life at risk. Taking stealth photographs in locker rooms might require more forethought if phones go beep, but it's hardly going to become impossible to hide cameras all of a sudden - unless a lot of undercover reporters are going to be in trouble.

Linux

Congresscritters do this a lot

Ignore this. King is just trying to keep some constituents happy and not look "soft on pervs". This kind of thing happens a lot, since the individual representative is not beholden to his national party the way MP's are enslaved by the Parliamentary party. The bill will go into committee and never be seen again (unless it pops up as a clause in some Omnibus Keep The Bluenoses Happy bill later).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.