Feeds

back to article Microsoft Songsmith ad trumps Seinfeld shocker

Those of you who are still recovering from exposure to Microsoft's Seinfeld advertising campaign are advised to look away now, because Redmond has pulled off the impossible and produced something worse - a "pseudoinfomercial" so profoundly traumatising it could "make you want to kill your family", as Gawker.com puts it: Killed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

To twist a quote

This takes the cunt out of country music.

tom
Unhappy

Can I buy a lot of vowels?

My reaction to this video does not require consonants:

Aaaaaaa! Oooooooh! Aaaaaaaa! (and so on)

Also, when somebody has a moment, please kill me. Thanks.

Gates Halo

May not actually be the worst Microsoft ad ever...

You want cringeworthy? Try this ad that MS designed for internal use only, presumably (and wisely) not designed to see the wider light of day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPv8PPl7ANU

Brought to you by Bruce ServicePack and the Vista Street Band (it gets worse).

Featuring lyrics such as:

"See what's on employees' laptops

with AIS and MDOP"

and the chorus

"Vista,gotta get me some".

In more enlightened countries, people would be executed for this sort of thing.

Gates Horns

Microsoft Huh?

Instead of "Microsoft Huh? so it's pretty easy to use" - shouldn't that have been:

Microsoft huh? so your machine is about to crash... "

And I am glad to hear Miles (red shirt man) has opened up and come out of the closet - I have to admit that despite being 'Dad' I had my suspicions at the beginning of the ad when I first saw him....

Other than that pretty nauseating Ad really.

Thumb Down

Clever, yes... Pointless, definately.

As clever as it is, it's kind of pointless and a little scary. The ONLY thing it will do is enable the totally talentless to annoy us with their musical "abilities".

There goes Youtube, anyway.

Thumb Up

Oh, the irony!

"Microsoft huh? So it's pretty easy to use?" - GENIUS

Thumb Down

Now I see

Now I understand the article a while back about a drug that deadened hearing.

At first I thought it was silly - I mean, why not simply use earplugs - but what if one of those suckers fell out?

Jeeze, MS is in a death spiral for sure. Kind of like the GOP, but MS didn't wage an illegal war and crash the global economy in the process.

Wait - I see a new ad slogan....

"Microsoft - Hey, we still suck less than the GOP!"

Happy

Fruity songsmith

Inspired by the Tarantino analysis of Top Gun, I see a deeper message here. This man comes home, with the problems of work and with his daughter singing instead of talking, releases the inner show tune, Broadway original cast recording gay in him. He then takes his laptop to a gaybar and when approached by a young female waitress and a young man he only talks to the young man thus showing he has now made his "choice" and picks up the gay young man who likes using PCs and MS products.

After his experience, he has coming out ceremony to his co-workers, where he talks, sorry, sings about how he was in the closet

"Well, I used to open up the closet door,

and struggle in the dark,

but now no more"

and now he is out, the dalliance with the young man was the glowing towels that showed him the light of the gay way and his co-workers applaud his courage to come out.

The end scene has him singing to his "wife". That they are now singing instead of talking means that he is now openly flamboyant and gay and his wife has accepted his sexuality.

How the young kids say it ? "Microsoft songsmith?, that is so gay."

Jobs Halo

Whoever ...

... is responsible for Microsoft advertising had better watch out. They could soon be jumping from ledges.

If you look at stock market reports, just watch Apple shares go up when Microsoft give out advertising like this.

Gates Horns

For the love of god stop!

AaaaaaRrrghh.. aaarrrrghh... stop! please no more... NOOOO!... I'll buy windows 7... I'LL BUY WINDOWS 7 JUST MAKE IT STOP PLEEEEEEEEESE!!!!!

And what a hunk of crap too! Only Microsoft could take something as inherently fun and graphically cutting edge as music software and make it look like an f*****g excel spreadsheet!

I mean what is this supposed to be their Garage Band beater? In who's universe? Do they think this will somehow make Windows cool? That kids will turn the 'happy' up to 11 and buy a zune so they can export their "songs" to it?

Idiots, this is an even stupider idea than "Windows Dancer", is it any wonder the cool kids insist on Apples???

"Everyone has a song inside."

Perhaps. But everyone has a liver inside, and that's where it should stay.

@ Michael McAskill

I just watched the YouTube Microsoft internal video you gave a link for. I've now watched both videos and I can't see anything wrong with either of them.

I have just killed my family.

I have just killed my neighbour and his family.

I am going to kill everyone in my neighbourhood.

Please make the voices stop!

Red

Copyrights to the songs?

I wonder - what's in the small print... who owns the rights to a Songsmith composition? I wonder what will happen when someone attempts to release a commercial album made with it (oh dear me).

By the way, that advert when I first saw it a couple of weeks ago really got on my nerves, no, _really_.

Gates Horns

Dev's can't act

The two signing guys are the dev's that wrote the thing!

Gates Horns

you must

hit you tube and search 'enter songsmith'

Metallica. Unbelievable.

(shoots self)

Linux

Ha, Ha!

Why would you even consider a sick ad like that? It's so vile and grotesque!

I guess Microsoft Research made Windows, and all the other crap that's on the

market today!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.