back to article US woman says Ubuntu can't access internet

An American woman has told a TV station in Madison, Wisconsin that something called Ubuntu prevented her from joining online classes at her local technical college. According to WKOW TV, Abbie Schubert recently ordered a Dell laptop, expecting "your classic bread-and-butter computer." But when she unboxed the $1,100 machine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We could make our OS'es easier to use too...

Unsurprisingly, not one comment so far about "ease of use" (irrespective of the operating system concerned).

Obviously a personal computer isn't a "single function" machine - unlike a television or a microwave or a washing machine (which, aside from some parameter setting, are ultimately just switch on, switch off machines), a computer can host multiple applications. This means it'll never be quite as simple as the most ardent imbeciles among us would like.

However, pretty much every operating system I have ever seen could do a whole lot more on the ease of use front....which is just as well, as it gives us techies the opportunity to be smugly condescending to those poor peons who don't know how to use [insert OS of choice here].

Of course, techies can be cretins too - anyone who engages in "my OS is better than your OS" religious flamewars, for example :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Linux makes your knob drop off.

A mate of mine - he installed Linux, right - and a couple of days later his knob dropped right off.

He called Dell to complain, but they just didn't want to know.

This is what they don't tell you on their so-called "web site".

True story - be warned.

3. Alfazed
    Happy

Ubuntu - Dell - American wankers

I get so fed up reading comments from geeks with a working Linux machine, who reckon it's the only Operating System worth having and that it is easy to use and never crashes or gets any other problems.

Wankers is what I say.

Yes the woman in the article is a bit lame, so are many PC users, but so are you Linux commentards. Really !

I have been pissing in the wind with Linuxes like Ubuntu for several years now, ever hoping that this distro will do the biz on Microsoft, and I can finally leave all the shite behind, but no. It still doesn't cut it in many instances.

Including failing to recognise an NVidia graphics card so the screen resolution during the install wouldn't resize to something other than 800x600, so I couldn't read the dialogue boxes to complete the partitioning ! On that one machine.

No Linux distro will dual boot on my work horse 'cos it has External SATA and can't find the installed Grub once the installation is completed. PS don't go to the forums !

And another Ubuntu dual booting machine hosed the whole machine during a failed update using the package management tool supplied, Synaptic.

Also please be aware that if setting up a dual boot, and you choose import stuff from the Windows partition to use when you're in Ubuntu, you CAN hose your Windows system from inside Ubuntu, without any fucking warning.

So there Linux breath !

PS I have a BSc in Information Systems and have been pissing in the wind with personal computers since before 1995. And I don't see things getting better, rather the reverse. And just to stick the boot in to Open Source apps generally. Updating Firefox and Seamonkey on another Windows XP machine, two weeks ago, destroyed all the Bookmarks and stored passwords. Plus yesterdays use of Mozilla Backup on my work machine has wiped all the stored passwords in both Firefox and Seamonkey.

They all stink of American hype.

Happy shopping - Alfazed.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Seriously folks...

... the woman had a "moment" while traversing the - quite frightening for many - wilderness of buying consumer technology. I have known quite competent technical people - whose decades of experience have been with esoteric programing languages on prehistoric architectures - go into a blank spasm when trying to buy a PC and that is when the only options on hand were PC or Mac. Similarly I have seen young "ubergeeks" choke on their shandy trying to get their head around archaic but robust, capable - and therefore eminently appropriate - 8 bit control systems.

For the majority of people that - sadly for El Reg's revenue streams - do not surf this site, a computer is a computer, office is office, and what happens inside the box is a problem for the place that sold the thing. Not entirely different to most people's (including, no doubt, many Reg readers in this case) view of cars, lawnmowers, sewing machines, microwaves, typewriters, vending machines and so on and so forth.

I wouldn't even go so far as to blame Dell. You go into Ikea without knowing "the system" and you are likely to come out with something entirely unexpected and unassemblable - or meatballs. Likewise an unseasoned traveler to planet Dell can quite easily come out the other end with a box full of mystery and woe. I once came out with a complimentary printer. If you are at all familiar with Dell's low end ink jet printer range you will know what a terrible thing that is. Pray for meatballs.

The only crime here is the media beat up giving unnecessary oxygen to one person's panic attack and, probably not entirely accidentally, throwing that person to the wolves. A sensible voice would have probably counseled the woman to let it go and try to find some redress with Dell - perhaps with the assistance of her local consumer advocate. If she is genuine then she would probably be far better off, and if she is some crank after tv time she would be denied the privilege.

As for the local wolfpack, you are all very smart and your arguments are indisputable. Your personal choice of operating system is flawlessly correct and, as you have always suspected, it makes you irresistibly attractive to the opposite sex. Go get 'em, tiger!

Anonymous Coward because that is what I am.

5. Paul

And no one thinks....

That the guy on the phones at Dell who she talked to was also an idiot?? What kind of arguement is "yeah, loads of students use Linux", whomever she talked to shouldn't have even *thought* about convincing her to keep Linux.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

100% FUD

So we're back to FUD?

7. Nick Askew
    IT Angle

Dumb users or dumb IT Folk?

Not so long ago I'd probably have thought this was a Linux problem, user problem, or a combination of both. However I've just helped my parents upgrade their computer and they have been thrown by a move from one windows version to another. It made me realise that not everyone is comfortable with concepts like an operating system and what it means to have a computer with a different operating system.

A lot (if not all) of the comments on here come from people in the IT industry and so phrases like "Operating System" do do phase us. However we seem to be generally blind to the plight of the non techie and that is a failing of our industry as much as, if not more than, any failing on the part of a user of our products.

In an ideal world the sales man at Dell would have quizzed her at length about her intentions but he is on commission and does not have the time. Her course supervisor might have advised her of minimum requirements of a machine needed to follow the course work, actually I suspect these probably exist and that Ubuntu and OO meet those standards. Her ISP might even have provided drivers for her hardware, I find it strange that there is some restriction actually but perhaps she has a USB modem or something similar.

8. Martin Owens

How Hard

Does anyone realise how HARD it is to buy an ubuntu machine from Dell, without actually search for it specifically and then wading through pages of "Are you sure you REALLY want ubuntu? Go here for windows, no really, windows is what you need and Dell Recommends Windows Vista, so go here and save yourself before it's too late!"

Next week, someone got a HP "too high class to be called Ubuntu" MI machine and complains because it broke when they tried to add the detergent and the couldn't see where to put the laundry anyway.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

public bool loserCheck($OS_you_use)

Haha what you say now Linux freetards??!?! It just can't compete - only virgins and people who cry about computers like Linux.

10. sammi
    Linux

I just made a gormless, grizzling noise at work at 8am

Though it reminds me of Virgin Media telling me that 'the internet doesn't work on linux' when I requested that they stop bloody throttling me.

11. Steve

People are stupid

People don't normally check what engine is running a car when buying a new one - for most people if it's the right colour and size and within budget it's a winner.

Same applies for computers. She probably picked a machine that had the spec's she wanted and was asked for either the Vista or Ubuntu model. I'm assuming the Linux box was a few £ cheaper...

Powered it on, everything looks different. Can't do a couple of things. Tries to open Device Manager and can't. Read a post about getting the 3G dongle to work on Ubuntu and realised she needs to modify 3 config files, use NDISWRAPPER and thought "balls to this".

Linux - works well for the noob when one of us pre-configures it and they only want to do emails and IM. Anything else requires a Linux admin.

2009 year of Linux on the desktop? Don't make me laugh (again)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@Dylan Bright

You're taking the piss out of her technological illiteracy by posting the same "joke" twice in 12 minutes?

LOL

13. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

@simon @AC silly me but

@simon

No flame, just a little fact: I have NEVER needed to run anything other than YAST or YUM on the 3 openSUSE machines I administer. I have had HORRENDOUS problems installing Windows (NT/2000/XP) on the same machines that work out of the box with OpenSUSE (9,x, 10.0,10.2, 10.3 and 11.1). My wife used a linux account on our home machine when windows was up the creek again (Symantecs fault this time for not having proper uninstall). She had no problems, except when connecting to her work webmail site, which (being an MS-shop) had all sorts of javascript errors. Installing IE under wine solved that. Defaulting Openoffice to write Word format solved the remainder.

@AC silly me but

Ever tried installing windows on a machine from scratch? Windows 2000 refused to boot at some stage, not because I had installed my Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller (that worked fine), but when I had the gall to attach an obscure device called a Quantum Viking II 9GB hard drive to it (the hard drive from my old PC, with a Windows 3.1 image on it, so 2000 might have been offended). I checked whether there was a boot order problem, there wasn't. Linux booted fine, but W2000 borked. This was a real shame as 9GB of storage was not to be sneezed at then (main disk was 20 GB). XP is a lot better in this respect, but I still get angry at the way it insists on stuffing up the boot loader EVERY time.

14. mike
    Linux

open office

open office would work just as well as word in fact better. as to the collage needing it on word that is because there on a winblows network. so all she has to do is save in open office microsoft word format. long live the penquin.

PS not a ubuntu problem.

15. Alan Johnson

Do not criticise the women for lack of technical knowledge

I do not think the women shoudl be criticised for her lack of knowledge of computers. She should be criticised for giving up so easily.

The guy who thinks that it is easier on windows because of 'repair connection' is mad. It only works if whatever the problem was has gone away. That almost always means opening a DOS shell typing on the command line to figure out what the problem is (exactly the same commands as on the linux command line!), resolving the problem and then clicking on the repair button.

The only real difference is that the command line is worse on windows.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. John Latham

Whilst I enjoyed my time with Ubuntu....

....I just had to let it go.

I hate Windows with a passion. So many things about it make me ashamed to be a software engineer.

However, having spent a few months with Ubuntu on my Thinkpad, I've reverted back to XP.

I could live with running a few Windows-only apps under VMWare and Wine. Sure, they ran a bit slower, but what price freedom?. I could even live with some Windows apps only running on a spare Windows machine in the corner.

But day to day, the basic Ubuntu experience was just too frustrating. Skype and Flash were always fighting for control of the sound systems. Flash crashed frequently inside Firefox. Power management never seemed to work as well as on XP. Switching between different sets of displays was awkward, and often required a restart.

In the end, I got tired of these simple things not working right. Of course this could all be fixed if the video card manufacturers sorted out their drivers, and application software developers (e.g. Skype, Adobe) treated Linux with the same respect they do Windows, and, and...

But now I can do almost everything I could on Ubuntu with XP+Cygwin. I'm sad to admit it, but for me the whole experience (on XP at least) is less painful and more productive.

18. max allan

@Simon

If Windows can't fix it, like in about 99% of the situations where I've ever seen problems you've got no other help. At least someone who understands what's going on in Linux can get a meaningful error message or status out of it, rather than windows which may as well just blow a raspberry at you as print any of it's "your system has a configuration problem" "OK" error messages.

No it's not flipping well OK that something went wrong, and it's even less OK that you can't tell me what went wrong so I can fix it.

That said I have been disappointed with Ubuntu 8.10 and it's network applet. The network applet only actually permanently changes your network config if you go hack some config files. (unless you want the default DHCP option!) This is the sort of idiot problem that turns people off Linux. If the GUI tool doesn't do everything it needs to do for "what it says on the tin" to happen then it's worse than worthless, it's deliberately misleading people. I don't care if the config files that it needs to edit belong to some other area of the system, either go ahead and edit them anyway OR pop up a warning box "This tool won't be effective unless you manually do..."

I just switched to OpenSolaris instead and haven't found any such glaring cockups yet.

Anyway, back on topic of idiot American, I expect she bought laptop with ubuntu because ubuntu was cheaper than vista.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC

"you may have to search online for some answers if you don't know how to do something,"

Except that her problem was she couldn't get online... ;-)

Not a *nix specific problem though - I have an old PC with a NIC which my XP install disc doesn't recognise and about once every 18 months when I put in a bigger HD and reinstall, I never remember. "OK, install done, fly, little one, go get your patches & updates. What? Including a working driver for the NIC? Ah. Now, it it going to be quicker to search for that copy of the driver I downloaded last time, or put the old hard drive back in and download it again?"

Posted anonymously to save my blushes at work. Where I do IT support...

20. Gulfie
    Thumb Down

@Simon, Linux = fail

Actually, my experience of supporting XP and Vista is that right-click/repair connection does not solve the problem on a fairly frequent basis. More likely, there are more people around with the neccesary tech know-how to fix a Windows cock-up than a Linux one. Both are equally hard to solve if you have no knowledge, there are simply more people around with Windows knowledge.

And when it comes to stripping off unwanted software I'd far rather do it on a Linux box and know I've not left any poisoned DLLs around because of Windows' scatter-gun approach to file installation.

Ubuntu is about the best of the Linux distros for consumption by the general public. If anything I'd say this woman was **too stupid** or **too lazy** to get to grips with the computer and in all probability this has saved her from an epic fail at the college. Inbreeding, meh.

21. Tom Wood

Complete registration form in black ballpoint

Woman goes to Staples, buys blue fountain pen. College says she needs to write in black ballpoint. Woman goes back to Staples and complains that her blue fountain pen is not a black ballpoint. Staples agree that it's not, and say they would exchange the blue fountain pen for a black ballpoint, but sales assistant points out that blue fountain pen is much nicer than black ballpoint, and still allows completion of everyday tasks such as "writing" and "doodling". Woman decides to keep the blue fountain pen after all.

Then complains that Staples made her unable to register for her college course for two semesters because her blue pen isn't black?! Who's fault is that?

22. Paul Murphy

>Seriously though, are you just in a trolling mood to post a comment like that?

Yeah - don't feed the troll.

Not as bad as the teacher who took the students' linux disks away and claimed that no operating system was free. Still, going on the fact that people are told that 'if it looks too good to be true then it probably is' and should be avoided it's not too surprising that people don't believe in linux (if they have heard of it).

I agree with the comment re natural selection - it's probably for the best that the lady in question doesn't end up with a technical qualification.

ttfn

23. Fruitloop

Consensus ad idem

Clearly a case of miss selling by Dell, she thought buying a computer would give her a machine with Windows on it to do her college work which she didn't get. Also the support muppet told her that "it was compatible with everything I needed" which was not true.

Some harsh comments here as not everyone is (or should have to be) technical.

24. Andus McCoatover

At college???

Didn't she think to ask her classmates/tutor for help? Really simple, I didn't use the "Windows setup disk" which came with my DNA internet account. OK, I'm moderately tech-savvy and used pppoeconf, but one of the students could've done it for her in 2 minutes. Then, it just works!

-"Why didn't you use your initiative?" "Because no-one told me to!"

25. calagan
    Gates Horns

Useless Windows-only bloatware CD

It's very common to see Internet connection kits bundled with a CD that lead you to believe you have to install some useless Windows-only application to be able to use your modem, whereas, the Web Interface is more than sufficient.

Verizon should provide noob-proof documentation to set up your connection using a browser without having to install this probably unsecure bloatware.

I wouldn't be surprised if this whole article was in fact a PR stunt by M$ to prevent other PC manufacturer from following Dell's excellent move toward non Windows OS.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

For everyone about to flame Simon...

Sorry chaps, but he's right. It doesn't matter how many times you claim Linux is ready for the big time, or repeat stories of your 101 year old granny using Ubuntu (and there's inevitably one of those every single time there's a story about Linux), it's just not as easy to use as Windows, and when something goes wrong it can be an absolute pain in the arse. I don't hate Linux or anything and I'd be quite happy to see a decent OS topple Windows, but that's just a fact. Sadly a lot of Linux fans suffer from this problem where they can't quite understand why delving into command lines and changing system files would be a problem, believing instead that it's just the user that is stupid.

Windows is, most of the time, an absolute no-brainer, but more importantly every mainstream software package out there will run. Don't forget that even novice users have almost certainly had some previous computer experience, and that experience is 99% certain to have been with Windows and Office.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@ AC 03:16

You mean MS released a new Windows version in the last 10 years?

Mine's the asbestos one.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

pffft

On most laptops, Linux gets you online straight out of the box. 10yrs ago, that would have been impossible.

I would bet real money that Ubuntu comes with some Office-a-like package installed. The Woman's ISP should have reassured her that the installer thy gave her wasn't necessary. Dell could have pointed out the word-processor.

My girlfriend who yawns at the mention of computers is perfectly happy to switch between Linux, XP or Win7, barely registering the differences.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i actually understand!

you have to remember that the reg readership is quite technical. some people have no concept of an operation system, they just want a computer.

A lot of it is how you are used to a pc, if you learn to write documents by rote, and the first thing on the course is 'start up word', having a pc without word means you cant write any documents!

as for the internet, some crappy isp's do still give out usb modems instead of routers, the driver cd that comes with these will not work on ubuntu, so she wouldn't be able to get on the net.

Honestly, after dealing with my dad and his pc, i can easily see how getting a pc with ubuntu would be completely unsuitable for some people, but then not being able to use it is one thing, and going on tv telling everyone it's crap because you have no concept of how to use a pc is something else

30. TerryG
    Stop

We may all laugh...

but the thing is that's the target audience for Linux if it's ever going to make the breakthrough into the mass market desktop. While it's probably safe to assume every-one reading The Reg knows a thing or two about computers and thinks Ubuntu is the dogs danglies, the average clueless punter still seems to struggle with the basics. These are the sort of people you see in Currys and PC World with a glazed expression on their faces as some spotty faced kid runs off his learned-by-rote spiel full of nice technical buzz words. These people believe what they're told by sales assistants, buy the nice shiny box, take it home, spend 2 hours plugging it in, then expect the internet to appear by magic even if they haven't switched their broadband on.

It's one area were MS has bent over backwards to make things as idiot-proof as possible, much to the annoyance of techies who don't need that sort of hand-holding, but it's worked for them and allowed them to dominate the market. Something Linux in general still has to grasp.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC 03:16

'Linux isn't that hard... you may have to search online for some answers if you don't know how to do something'

Bit hard to do if one of the problems you are having is being UNABLE TO GET ONLINE.

'Most technical schools have to go out of their way to NOT be MS centric, which very much includes their support staff. If it isn't windows, they ignore you and call you names behind your back to their nerdy friends'

Bit of a contradictory argument don't you think. They try to not be MS centric but ignore you if you don't use windows? I think you will find, at least in the UK that it tends to be the University students who try to push linux on everything as they tend to forget not everyone is studying computer science. That wouldn't be a problem if they actually knew what they were doing but they treat important systems as an ongoing project. Anybody who has been on the end of trying to process UCAS applications will tell you just how buggy, unstable and awful to use that is.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

She's NOT an idiot

I hate Windows - I think it's a joke of an operating system.

BUT this woman is not an idiot. Unless you are reasonably techie, you have NO IDEA what Linux is, despite what the Linux people may tell you, or wish to think. Anyone posting on the Reg WILL know what Linux is because we're all geeky enough to know, but that doesn't make this woman an idiot.

Firstly, she may well not have noticed the Ubuntu thing when she ordered it, or may not have thought anything of it - "Ubuntu" doesn't easily translate to "an operating system that's NOT Windows and won't run Word"!

And if you don't know what it is and you phone up the supplier later (who you trust to know these things) and they say "don't worry - it's just like Windows, only better" then how the hell are you supposed to know otherwise? The person at Dell should have asked her what she wanted to run on it, and then he might have found she needed Word etc. If it's anyone's fault,. it's Dell's.

33. phil
    Paris Hilton

Idiocy filter

News at 10, completely clueless person prevented from accessing the internet, world protected.

In other news, clueless person has now installed windows and is currently joining a botnet near you...

Paris because its ok if she's clueless...

34. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Re Linux=fail

I agree with Simon. Not only is Linux is too technical for most people when you ask for aadvice on a forum, say, its written in some weird language that looks a bit like English but makes no sense to most people. Agreed Windows is pretty pants too. This is at the heart of the problem with PCs, most people actually don't want a PC they want something that does Internet and Word / Excel plus runs games their mates send and plays media. That GM blokes commects acomapring computers with cars some time ago was pretty spot on (IIRC)

Anonymous cos I'm feeling fragile

Paris. Why not

35. Mark C
    Paris Hilton

Shame on you

This could be a mature woman that has little or no experience on a PC and just wants to get back into education - an admirable cause in my book. The fact that it called a Technical College is irrelevant as she may be doing a course in the humanities.

So she's not aware that PCs can have Windows/Linux/Mac OS. This is not surprising as there are still many people that do not use computers very often and Linux is barely mainstream, if at all.

It just goes to show how narrow-minded so called 'educated' people are.

Paris..she wouldn't know one Linux distro from another either.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm looking forward to the day

that I'm no longer surprised by just how stupid people are capable of being

37. Martin Lyne

Schools

Schools + proprietary software as a requirement = fail.

38. Neal

Lets be fair here

Although she is plainly making very ignorant dumb choices and expecting decisions to be made for her, if she had no internet access she was problably very limited in options to find out more.

How many people here, apart from linux geeks would be able to fix a Ubuntu internet access problem without having another machine to google the fix on ?

39. EdwardP
    Flame

Silver lining.

Oh so what if some American bint went on some half baked excuse of a TV station to whinge about an unutterably boring problem of her own making.

What I do like, is that when she complained to the Dell employee, rather than jumping at the chance to flog a Windows license, they advised her to stick with it.

Good on Dell, keep pushing Ubuntu. Raise the bar for all of us.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Simon

Its only the same as it was 10 years ago if you haven't downloaded a new CD since then !

41. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@AC

"Really, Linux isn't that hard... you may have to search online for some answers if you don't know how to do something"

That assumes that you can get online in the first place, which she says she couldn't. Maybe she couldn't figure out how to connect using her wireless adapter?

Linux still requires more effort to use than Windows. Microsoft pay a lot of money to people to design every aspect of Windows, from the UI to the user documentation to the underlying code itself. Linux relies mostly on unpaid volunteers to do this work. The documentation in it is varied, and a lot of it wouldn't be understood by your typical user. The UI is also different to Windows, which scares a lot of normal users as they just want what they're used to.

You all have to stop thinking like a savvy IT pro and start thinking like the person who has to call tech support to ask why their PC isn't turning on when the wall socket is turned off.

That said, with regards to Word, I don't know why she didn't just try to open the file anyway, since OpenOffice should be installed by default, as people have already said. Maybe she just tried to install Office and didn't have a Word file to try with it?

42. Matthew Morrison
    Thumb Down

I'm disappointed in you lot

Oh wow, so someone who is blatantly not incredibly PC-savvy got confused by the differences in operating systems. And this makes her an idiot? The level of vitriol here just makes me sad for her and for all of us.

43. Stew Wilson

@simon

If you claim to ever have seen Right-click->Repair work, then you're a liar. It only prolongs the torment by making lusers think that there's a one-click solution.

Then again, you're either a liar about Linux, or you've not looked at it at all in the last 10 years.

44. AC
    Flame

ubuntu is fail

I used it for a month or two after a hdd failure and figured I'd give it a whirl.

it was crap, want it to interface with your hardware? Sure no problem just edit files manually, compile this, install that add on, stand on your head, do the macarena and you might get limited functionality.

want that very same piece of hardware to interface with windpwns? sure, turn on machine with hardware installed, click on "next" and then click on "finish", functionality now at 100% (and that's under vista!)

I have no doubt that ubuntu is useful if you want to do incredibly technical things with it, but for general use every day normal computing its a giant pile of horse manure. You fanbois go back to sitting in ur darkened server rooms and cheese snacks.

45. Richard Cartledge

Stupid Sasafras

Giving UBUNTU to someone who is a noob but who is also used to Windows is a recipe for disaster. I found out the hard way.

46. JohnG

Users are not experts

A substantial proportion of computer and Internet users have no interest in the technology involved. They just want to be able to write letters and other documents, browse the web and send emails. It is very similar to the majority of car owners - they have no interest in what is under the bonnet, they want to be able to drive from A to B. This is true of nearly all the sysadmins and programmers I know - they drive cars without any interest in the mechanics. If linux is to take a chunk of Microsoft's position, the "you're too stupid to own a computer" attitude has to go.

Much of the problem is that computer hardware is relatively inexpensive and the after sales support provided by manufacturers tends to reflect this. However, if Dell decided to sell systems with Ubuntu, they should have anticipated issues like "I can't load Word" and "I can't get the Internet" and have been ready with answers (like "Openoffice writer can be used instead of Word").

47. John Bayly
    Thumb Down

@Simon (Sometimes trolls need to be fed)

As far as I'm aware, repair connection is basically an ipconfig /renew (or possibly an ipconfig /release followed by /renew)

I'm pretty certain that it doesn't modify or change permissions on any configuration files.

To be honest, the last time I edited a text file in Ubuntu was to change the grub menu order, not something many Windows users would ever do.

Regarding the article, I can't believe people still only have a broadband modem rather than routers (or that the have to use the shitty software that the ISP provides).

And two words, Open Office, we use it on our Windows machines, and several Uni's I know of use it. Saves & opens Office docs (inc Office 2007). It also renders old Word docs better than current versions of Word. The only thing I miss sometimes are the Macros, though this woman wouldn't ever use them.

48. Thomas
    Flame

@Simon

Windows Repair fixes all your problems!

Unless you happen to be dealing with a wireless network, Vista and a Belkin N Router, in which case contact the person who administrates your network.

Maybe they should have that as a new system error message for Windows 7 "Well, I made a half-assed attempt to fix your network but after switching the adaptor on and off I'm out of ideas. Over to you."

49. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Callsic response

Internet not workign, connection down?

" you may have to search online for some answers if you don't know how to do something, but hopefully that's a skill that anyone at the 5th grade level or above possesses"

And anyone woth their salt realises that if your internet connection is down and you only have one pc......

Don't worry I had this eternal loop with a modem manufacturer 10 years ago...

My modem doesn't work....

Down load the updated drivers from...

My Modem doesn't work.

yes download the drivers from...

MY M.O.D.E.M DOOOOEEESSS NOOOOTTTT WOOOORRRRKKKK

Yes download the...Ohhhh. We'll send the drivers in the post....

And yes I've used Unbuntu. Ok, but not for me....Some nice features but many others just to rough around the edges...

50. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh.

Whilst the article his badly researched, and more than likely inaccurate, it does raise a good point. Do any of you ever think of the consequences of "choosing" open source for someone else, or of evangelising it at people? You are, in essence doing the same thing as MS in that you're trying to take advantage of non-technical people in order to push your agenda.

A professional in a trusted capacity told her she'd be OK with Ubuntu, and not knowing any better, she believed them and stuck with it. Based on threads like this, they probably said something like "Even retards can use Ubuntu, you aren't retarded are you?"

Technical support should be neutral.

Oh, and to all the retards who keep saying "She should have used google to find out how to do it"

How on EARTH do you use google to troubleshoot "I can't get on the internet"?

Most ISP's don't even support the Mac, let alone linux.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like