Feeds

back to article Apple unveils 17in MacBook, iLife tweaks, Tony Bennett

In one of the least eventful keynote speeches in recent memory, Apple's SVP Phil Schiller, filling in for the ailing Steve Jobs, announced upgrades to iLife and iWork, an upgraded 17-inch MacBook, and iTunes Store pricing-structure changes and DRM-removal plans. Phil Schiller at Macworld Expo 2009 A performer is only as good as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Jobs Halo

@ Portable companion battery that plugs into MacBookPro power input

I used to have one of those for my PB 170 - called a 'powerplate' or some such, at least it let me work for an entire Manchester - London train trip, quite something in those days.

I read that the new Macbook will have 'intelligent' batteries controlled by dedicated chips - something that caused endless hassles in the days of the Blackbird PB 540.

Whichever way they try to justify it, a non-replaceable battery is a stupid decision that both Apple and its customers will come to regret.

Flame

Integrated batteries

What are the odds that we'll see 'integrated' batteries as a standard feature on Windows laptops within 6 months?

Thumb Down

Integrated batteries

What are the bets they are not!!!

N

You dont have to buy it...

Theres probably some reason why the battery is not removable but Im sure there will be a way around it, or theres a good reason for it & despite some major recalls by Sony & others battery technology has improved significantly.

Chances are, if you can afford to buy a 17" Macbook Pro you can also afford to take it to an Apple store & say "replace the battery" when the time comes that it dosnt hold charge.

Unhappy

er what no iPhone 32gb?

I'm more dissapointed at the lack of comment on whether a 32gb iPhone will be out anytime soon, with ideally an improved camera...looks like I'll have to keep my hard earned cash in my pocket a little while longer!

Thumb Down

@ron

"Errm.. defective batteries are not the preserve of Apple alone, plus, these are usually outsourced items from the likes of Sony".

Defective as in "Oh, the damn thing just died after 93 days and doesn't charge anymore", not linke in "it may explode, let's replace them just to be sure".

Not to mention that these batteries seems to be custom made and untested, we don't know if they are going to deform inside the MBP.

Apple says that being non-removable they have more room for it, like if you need half of the chassis for a retention mechanism...

Silly...

Thumb Up

Swappable RAM?

With regard to the RAM chat above, it makes sense not to let Joe Average swap the RAM himself as most of you reading this will remember that to swap RAM one should remove the battery and press the power button to ensure the kit is fully discharged.

A few of you may also remember the fleeting panic when one forgot to do this, found a stick of the stuff was a bit stuck and one's fingers were too fat or nails too short to get it out so grabbed a pair of tweezers and then filled one's pants when the sparks began...

Non-removable battery means the RAM should definitely should be non-removable! (easily)

Fuzzy logic

Is it just me, or does it not seem that if making the battery removable would take up precious chassis space, it would make more sense to have non-removable batteries on the MB and MBP15, than on the MBP17 where there is far more chassis space available?

If they can fit the same spec of the MBP17 (i.e. Core2Duo, dual graphics cards, HDD/SSD, optical drive and RAM) into a 15 inch chassis, would that not leave them with loads of space to spare, to fit in an even bigger battery AND a release mechanism for it? The only component that might take up more space is the inverter for the larger LCD.... oh, and that generous extra 1 USB port.

Paris Hilton

Battery Arguments

I don't care about either argument.

If I'm paying £2k+ for a laptop, I want the bloody CHOICE.

Not only are Apple expos getting boring, but the products just defy logic.

I don't know about Steve's physical health, but all indications are he definitely needs a head doctor.

Paris, cause even she has use for removable batteries occasionally.

Jobs Halo

Not a whimper, but not a bang

I just finished watching the key note. I commend Phil for doing as good a job as could be expected, after all he doesn't have the gift for gab that Steve has. Over all I was pleased with the tweaks to the iLife and iWorks apps and the new bundle with OS X is good deal. While there were no "wow" moments as there have been in the past it was at least a pleasant and respectable close to MacWorld.

The none swappable battery thing I admit confuses me, I hear their reasoning but at the end of the day swappable batteries in a laptop computer should be a no brainer. After all for a great many people carrying a fully charged spare is standard operating procedure as they often will be some time/distance between a suitable power outlet to charge up. Now if they are going to deliver the battery life promised it might not be as huge an issue, but as everyone who has used a portable computer regardless of the manufacturer can attest to. The stated battery life is rarely if ever equal to what is actually delivered. I foresee a roll back on Apples part fairly soon on this issue as a matter of fact I'd be surprised if their engineers weren't already working on a different design to accommodate what is going to be peoples biggest complaint regarding the new MacBooks.

I did like the tweaks to the various apps though and the new version of iMovie looks great. It wont fit everyone's video editing needs to be sure. But it's now what 90%+ of the home video editing market will want/need. Over all nothing that stands out but as I said a nice low key end to an era. Hopefully Apple will take the money saved not doing MacWorld and pony up that extra cash to their engineers to develop a proper netbook or some good upgrades to the mini.

J
Joke

Re: "If having a fixed battery reduces costs"

"If having a fixed battery reduces costs"

Apparently, it doesn't...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.