Feeds

back to article Council to crack down on Cracknuts Lane

Lewes District Council has attracted the attention of the Daily Mail with a proposed new street naming and numbering policy which, if agreed tomorrow, could see the end of "names which encourage defacing name plates", such as Cockshut Road, Cracknuts Lane and Juggs Road. Also for the chop are 'names capable of deliberate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

@ Peter Depledge

No, it's "Burn the Pope" (it is of course Pope Paul V, not the current Pope Palpatine).

And the council seem to be putting in an early bid to be the tableau for one of the Bonfire Societies.

Paris Hilton

Is Birmingham next?

I suppose the death knell is sounding for Bell End near the Lickey Hills just outside Brum then!

(http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bell+end+birmingham&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title)

Paris? Well, even she likes a little Lickey Hills now and again!

Stop

Ah... town councils...

don't they make you come over all warm and cuddly?

This isn't all that new TBH... they've been trying to get the of a road called "Adams Bottom" changed for years in my town... I'm pleased to say its a change that has been firmly resisted by the local populace... well except for one or two idiots that actually live in "Adams Bottom"

fnar fnar .... he he he

Flame

PC madness

Well, nobody ever expected the LibDems to ever get to run the country and now I guess they never will. I imagine LibDem central is already on a damage limitation exercise after they heard about this bunch of aging East-Sussex morons with no sense of humour.

From what I can see it's a change in the policy for NEW road names. They won't be changing the existing ones.

Perhaps they need to relocate them all to Ringwood Avenue in Pratts Bottom.

<Huh-huh-huh-huh,... he said Wood,... huh-huh-huh,... and Bottom,... huhuhuhuh!>

Alert

My previous boss...

... was called Clive Hunt!

and again?

So that, when the language changes over the next 50 years, they can do it all again with a whole new set of streets? Seems to me like that council is overstaffed and needs a good whacking.

I was amused to find

An ordinance survey map with a place called "Fulking Hill" - and it's only a couple of miles from "Bushy Bottom"

Go

re Tim

Phew, thought the council had renamed Sluts Hole Lane - glad to her it's still there. Comes from the Dutch, apparently. And don't forget in Norwich, Upper Goat Lane.

RW
Thumb Down

It's good old-fashioned prudery, that's all

And is a symptom of minds utterly obsessed with sex and elimination: what are usually called "dirty minds."

But, alas, no one has the balls to stand up and say don't be so silly. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder -- and so is smut, dirtiness, and obscenity.

It's sad to see small-minded councils destroying England's history for such specious reasons.

Happy

Pishill

The village of Pishill near Henley must be ripe for renaming. Note that the second syllable is hill, not shill. I understand that it stands near the river Piddle.

But then I live in Maidenhead, which for some reason some people find amusing.

Joke

Can't Remember

any naughty ones from home, but there are some small islands in the Channel between Sweden and Öland whose name on nautical charts translates literally to "The Piles Of Shit". Always raised a chuckle when sailing past.

Anonymous Coward

Heh heh

Well, I hope they don't get rid of the anal treet in Lewes.

Thumb Down

More local gov'mnt Stupidity

I lived in a suburb called "Cook" for fourteen years and for as long as I remember the easily amused would change an "o" to a "c". A "Nirvana street" here had their sign ripped off many times over mean years, no, not by enraged Buddhists, by Cobain fans.

As others have said, where do you stop? Maybe they just need to remove all the street signs entirely and claim its a security measure, same as many councils did with public rubbish bins - nothing to do with security, everything to do with cost savings of not emptying them.

Ian
Thumb Up

More Bell Ends

...but the one in Rowley Regis/Blackheath in Sandwell then leads on to Mincing Lane for the double whammy!

However I can see some point to why some people would want to get rid of these names. The road signs from "our" Bell End are constantly going missing.

Two Cumbrian Fells

Which amused me when I first saw them on OS map - Cockup and Great Cockup.

Anonymous Coward

PC Gorrn Madddddd!

Cunt Grope Lane --> Grope Lane --> Grape Lane

This sort of thing has been going on for years. The "PC gone mad" brigade are just a bunch of jumped up racists/bigots/misogynists who like an excuse to wallow in their personal shallowness, I wouldn't give 'em house room.

Thumb Up

Slow News Day?

This looks pretty much like a non-story, even by the standards of the Daily Mail.

Lewes council are establishing a policy for NEW street names where they avoid ones likely to attract graffiti (and thus cost them money). One would hope that this is already an unwritten rule in councils up and down the country - Lewes are just formalising it.

It has nothing to do with "banning" existing street names, demolishing our proud heritage of sniggering at "Butt Hole Lane" or any kind of PC nonsense. It has everything to do with the Mail needing to fill a few column inches with ranting when nothing much has happened over the holidays (apart from WW3 breaking out in Gaza - but they can't blame that on looney left pc asylum seekers, so it doesn't count).

I hereby propose a wholly uncontroversial street name which nobody would want to vandalise:

Thedailymailisacrockofshite Street

Who wouldn't want to write that on all their letters?

As a slight digression,

Lewes is quite close to Plumpton and Chailey, two places that /may/ have given their names towards a childrens classic - http://www.t-web.co.uk/trumpvil.htm

Oh and as a resident of a nearby town, one of the outlying lanes was once called Sluts lane, but is now more charmingly called Snowdrop lane.

Anonymous Coward

Great country for names

This country has wierd and wonderful names and if this sort of palava carries on, everywhere will be very boring.

Someone mentioned Fingling Hoe in Essex (near Colchester) - well, it's actually better than that as it is Fingring Hoe.

Brown Willy is obviously a brilliant name, and one that is wrong on so many PC levels is Blackdykes. And in Bishop's Strotford we have the Cock Inn. Which leads to many a possible radio advert - how far is the Cock Inn, Where's the Cock Inn, What is the Cock Inn and so on evermore.

Go

I have to say...

Lower Brown Street in Leicester always makes me snigger like a schoolboy when I pass by...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=lower+brown+street,+leicester&ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&z=16&g=lower+brown+street,+leicester&iwloc=addr

Thumb Down

Threadneedle Street to be renamed?

... and they DID do away with Gropecunte Lane.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.