Feeds

back to article Windows 7 beta washes up on Pirate Bay

Microsoft is set to release the first beta of its upcoming operating system Windows 7 at some point this month, but ahead of that release the trial version has already – unsurprisingly – landed on BitTorrent sites. Anyone who is actually eager to get their mitts on the beta, which has the build number of 7,000, can download it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Is it me...

..or is there an echo in here??

Gates Horns

Eh

I had just reconfigured my test bed from a hackintosh build back to a Vista desktop when the Windows 7 beta "leak" news broke (a few days ago) so I decided to give the torrent a try. After making the Complete System Backup i upgraded to the beta.

By that I mean IT WAS A REAL UPGRADE! Not the wipe and load type that Vista forced upon us, but a real honest to (insert your favorite deity here) UPGRADE. All my original programs were still present! AND FUNCTIONAL!! So far i like hte improvements..but.....

The only bad part about M$ trying to forget a mistake is that the consumer always takes it in the wallet. Having 4 computers in the house means that if i want to stay legal (which i do for my OPERATIONAL machines) then thats 4 copies of an OS that i have to shell out for. My laptop came with Vista pre-loaded and the wife won't let me switch hers to Vista... So i paid to move two desktops to Vista planning on at least a 5 year lifespan. (average of Windows 95 and Windows XP) I'm only mentioning this becuase the UPGRADE path of Vista was still a wipe and load when you had to rebuild a desktop from a total crash. It's nice to see Windows 7 as less destructive.

Unhappy

maybe 7 ....

as 7 is lucky number in western areas.

In Chinese culture its "togetherness" also its unlucky side means ghostly which if if you have seen any Chinese ghost story; the ghost sort of clunks about when walking.

Then again 8 in Chinese culture is "wealth" ; oh poor Microsoft.

Go

Version Numbers

It appears that many people are confused with the NT versioning scheme.

Windows NT had 4 released versions, NT3.0, NT3.5, NT3.51 and NT4.0.

Then there was 2000 which is NT5.0

XP which is NT5.1

Server 2003 and XP x64 which is NT5.2

Then Vista and Server 2008 which is NT6.0

Windows 7 which is NT6.1.

I'm confused as to where the nonsense that Vista SP1 and 2008 are NT6.1, because they ain't. They are build 6.0.6001, as opposed to 6.0.6000 thats the only difference.

Also, Windows 7 is most certainly NT6.1, not NT7.0, as it is basically the same kernel as Vista.

As for Windows 7, it's looking good, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on an official x64 copy of the Beta to have a play with it, however, Vista x64 works fine for me at the moment anyway.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

re: a question

> Lets face it... unless you run games or some seriously expensive windows software( £5000+ per seat), do you actually need a PC with windows on?

If you want a high-end games system, windows is the way to go.

But in that case, you can run an unpatched xp system behind a firewall (someone-else's as well as MS's) - just don't use it for internet stuff and keep copies of your installation media.

Gates Horns

Version numbers for Windows

It's been stated and overstated what the reality is up to Vista. I'm actually surprised that nobody has brought it up yet. Windows 7 should actually probably be version 6.1 or 6.5.

2000:XP is like Vista:Windows7

It is prettied up and cleaned up. Nothing major changed with Windows 7, they just got around to finally cleaning up the mess that Vista is. A lot of people are calling Windows7 more like another Vista service pack. Don;t forget, even though Vista was over 2 years late, it was rushed out the door. The win7 kernel is basically the same as vista, this has been noted as a plus for driver support. M$ just finally got around to fixing Vista, and they'll sell it as a new OS to disassociate it with Vista completely. It shouldn't be a major version number, it should be 6.5 at best. Marketing made this one a major version, not the code.

And for the left out ME in this discussion, there was Windows98, then Windows98 SE. WindowsME was just another extension of that line and should really be considered Windows 98 3rd Edition. As has already been stated, that kernel line died (really, it was merged) and the NT line took over with Windows 2000, known internally prior to release as NT5.

Just to set it straight, I am no fan of Microsoft, see devil bill to the left.

Flame

Flawed counting

In several points.

NT came in several versions, 3.1, 3.5, 3.51 and 4.0. If you don't count dos/3.11/95/98, that 3.1 should have been 1.1 If you do it was 5.1. No-one can explain where that 3.1 came from as NT 1 or 2 are non-existent.

Another thing is that 2000 was NT with new GUI, active directory and USB added (which originally were in NT specs, but were left out, so it was 4.1, not 5, no matter MS says: NT kernel.

XP offered again a new GUI, so NT 4.2. Vista had same old kernel + DRM, that would be 5.0. "7" uses same kernel, so it's actually 5.1.

But somehow I find it funny that every f**n media thinks that "7" is a new OS. It has Vista's kernel, nothing new there, it has changed GUI again and what else? Nothing: Vista in different package and some BS dropped, but some not: Copying files will still last forever.

Most of the criticism for Vista applies to "7" too.

Silver badge
IT Angle

@various AC's --- why not?

We have the usual AC's just saying 'It's bloatware' and 'Don't buy it!' but (also as usual) nothing more than that.

If folks are gonna bring such erudite and well-considered arguments in to the discussion can they at least say why. If you are so well informed in to the internals of Win/NT 7 we'd all like to know.

Chances are you know no more than the rest of us and are either habitual penguin shaggers or those who didn't know that the 'X' in OS means ten.

As an XP user a wee bit of info would help - or do I have to wander off and download a torrent file?

Thumb Up

@Elmer Phud

Seconded.

Other ACs, please tell us why Win7 sucks. Apart from "Bill Gates wrote it, and he's not the Lord Torvalds (who wrote every linux distro using his own golden phallus), so it's ghey".

Windows has always been a useable OS. Until Vista, anyway. Maybe not as flexible or secure a Linux, but hey- I've never had to recompile the kernel just to update my graphics drivers under Windows. Things like that are scary to new users- or dangerous if they get complacent.

It's the closest to a "one size fits all" OS. You can run an office on it, play games on it, host web sites, browse the web, create CGI sequences for multimillion dollar movies or add an "ACs family holiday" label over a video of your dog falling over. It's not tied to any particular vendor's hardware and is recognisable worldwide.

Anyway, a lot of the things the TuxTards keep banging on about Linux being better for are available in Windows and either hidden away to stop people buggering their PCs up or just named slightly differently.

Lets just all hope that Windows Seven is a decent OS. That way it makes all our lives easier as we'll have less tech support calls from family members!

Request: Could El Reg start including a bootnote for anything including Windows 7 pointing towards the Wiki article on windows version naming conventions to keep the comment threads from being hijacked?

Gates Halo

It's actually pretty good

For all the doubters, it's worth noting that everyone I know that's tried it so far speaks very highly of it. It uses XP amounts of resources rather than Vista, so certainly seems to be a step in the right direction. I'm not too sold on the taskbar yet though.

Happy

One more time

Could someone give me those version #'s again?

Thumb Down

Beta into the wild

So.....here's what I think:

MS released the beta, or at least hoped/knew someone would

this gets them a lot of free hardware compatibility testing, smart move

they've pared it down and used what's stable from previous releases

but as stated earlier no updates for "illegal" copies

the word on the street becomes, "Hey this is a great OS"

people buy in

the updates, OS and driver, are where the call home stuff is then added

@ amanfromMars - sorry if that's repeat of your comment. I'm not sure it is but we may have hit on the same issues.

Happy

@ AC Posted Mon 5th Jan 2009 13:06 GMT

Other ACs, please tell us why Win7 sucks. Apart from "Bill Gates wrote it, and he's not the Lord Torvalds (who wrote every linux distro using his own golden phallus), so it's ghey".

WOW, I didn't know he could do that. That's kinda cool, in a, somehow, disturbing way. His super powers greatly exceed my already high expectations of his Eminence Torvalds.

Anonymous Coward

title

Don't you just love how people constantly bash Bill Gates and anything he does these days. He's done more for computing than most of you seem to give him credit for.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.