back to article Virgin Media opens bandwidth choke for 50Mb launch

Virgin Media's new 50Mbit/s broadband offering has gone on sale today to about 1.5 million homes, costing up to £51 per month, plus £50 installation fee. For a while at least, it will be the only cable broadband package without a bandwidth-throttling policy. Technology to serve the "XXL" package will be rolled out to about 40 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Down

well

switched to virgin about 2 months ago, the most i have ever had from my 20Mb line is 11, QoS is shocking compared to my old provider. vpn during the day crawls, disconnects and is generally very unhappy. General use in evenings is anything between 2 and 10, very rarely over 3 or 4.

I was too lazy to wait 2 weeks for ukonline to setup in new home, wont make that mistake again..

Anonymous Coward

@Ash

"Plus, that kind of allowance isn't economically sound, as for 8 hours of the day you're at work, and another 8 hours you're asleep. That's 2/3 of the day with negligible usage."

Actually you will probably find that for most of the people who would want 50Mb/s download speed that for the 8 hours they are at work, and the 8 hours they are sleeping the computer is still downloading linux distributions at full throttle.

That is the only reason the vast majority would want / need anything that fast.

I'm looking forward to the distro of Debby does Debian myself.....

Facts

Guy at work is running the trial with them, he connects at 50Mb, can sustain continuous connections downloading on Usenet at around 42Mb (seems to be limited by them not Virgin) there is no traffic management at all, speeds are consistent throughout the day, upload speed is around 2.3Mb which is pretty damn quick by comparison to other services.

How much all of that will change when it becomes public is a different story though... but for now, it looks good!

Thumb Down

Triple pay?

"With a basic cable TV package, "triple play" starts at £66 per month. "You get what you pay for," said CEO Neil Berkett."

Sounds more like "Triple Pay". Shite, that's pricey!

God, you poor fuc*kers in UK are soooooo shafted. Surprised you don't take shares in a Hæmmarhoid cream manufacturer...

Docsis 3 and IPv6

Presumably the new rollout is based upon the new Docsis 3 standard of which IPv6 is a component. Hopefully this will mean that customers will be able to get a native v6 connection in the near future without resorting to 6to4, Teredo or a tunnel.

Same old whingers....

Post after post after post ......

Your reading an IT news site so im guessing your IT literate yet, many posts here seem to understand that ftp/news programs/general download managers usual come with a scheduler. Why is it so dificult to use these? Thats all VM want and seems fair to me.

I'm happily downloading 10 to 20gig files and don't have any problems scheduling this whilst im at work or asleep, after all, why would I want all my bandwidth sapped by downloads when I might actually want it for game playing/fast trailer downloads etc?

Yours,

a VERY happy 20meg user.

@Stuza

"ftp/news programs/general download managers usual come with a scheduler. Why is it so dificult to use these? Thats all VM want and seems fair to me."

You're missing several points. 1, that costs more as you have to leave your modem and computer on all night. 2, the service is atrocious even if you're just surfing during peak hours anyway. 3, they shouldn't sell what they can't provide. 4, their throttling scheme doesn't work as advertised – it cuts in much sooner and lasts much longer than they claim. 5, other ISPs can charge less and still not throttle.

I'm an ex-customer, having been with them for years. Becoming the "ex-" was extremely difficult, involving threats and demands from Virgin, and a constant stream of junk mail from them since leaving, but it was completely worth it. I now pay half as much for a service that's theoretically twice as fast, but in real terms it's actually 4-5x. Anyone who's with Virgin: there really are much better ISPs out there. It's not going to get better. Don't put up with their service!

Stop

@Let the flaming begin

Tony, since the STM on the XXL 20Mb service drops you to bang-on 5Mb, not 6-8 or anywhere inbetween, you clearly haven't a clue what you're talking about or are blatantly lying. Are you sure your even a virgin customer?

Stop

@Hmmm

"My 20MB service always runs at 20MB, I never hit the cap during peak times and my speed is that of what is advertised - so what the fuck is everyones problem?"

It helps if you have a fully functioning brain.

If you've never been STM'd then you clearly never use your connection at anytime during the day and evening and as such you can't say that your service always runs at 20Mb!

ADSL whiners

Why do these moaning VM ADSL customers think they have any idea about the quality of VM's cable service? If you have problems with your 8MB ADSL line, it's probably due to your distance from the exchange or quality of copper on your phone line.

Another very happy 20MBit cable customer here.

maybe I've been lucky

...but our old 2Mb connection that they upgraded for free to 10Mb actually hits 10Mb (when you use the right bits of the internet) and it works almost all the time. (i.e. glitches every six months or so)

Also, on the odd occasion that we've had to phone them (someone busted open the fibre cabinet down the road and chucked the remains of a takeaway in it) they've been quite speedy and remarkably non-scripted.

Stop

Why the focus on download speed?

Users who actually use those kinds of download rates usually need a fast upload rate too (ahem).

VM upload rates have always been crappy - and that pitiful amount was ‘managed’ too! I’ve switched from VM (used XL for many years) to Be Unlimited Pro (2mb upload rate alone, never been managed) – wow what a difference, it was the best tech decision I made – more than 2x the performance at half the price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50mb D/L means absolutely nothing to me if the upload is still limited to <1mb; I wouldn’t pay £10pm for it.

Anonymous Coward

The problem with virgin

seems to be that they are still a mish mash of 2 different companies. I am an ex-Telewest customer and think that the service plummeted as soon as it was taken over, however, ex-NTL customers tend to think it was an improvement, for a while anyway!

I am a 10Mb cable customer, and my connection runs at 2.5Mb any time i'm actually home to use it. Just because i actually have the cheek to use the connection i pay for. What do i use it for, occasionally watching TV I also download software updates for my pc/laptops/phone/360 etc. play the odd online game so use steam. do the odd video call.

Anything other than general web browsing and email will make you hit the throttling limit on a daily basis!

@Annoymouse Cowherd

If you say so.

Yes - I am a VM customer. I have downloaded >6Gb of video using UTorrent in the past 24 hours (it's still running in fact), my housemate has been downloading too and we have both been browsing as well, so I'm pretty sure I am being throttled right now. I just paused my torrents and ran broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk which reports my current downstream speed as 9064Kb/sec.

I then tried the thinkbroadband.com one and that reported my speed as 10379.98 Kbps

I'm sure you know best though.

@ Tony

I've done 43GiB in 24 hours; in fact I've managed 115GiB (125GB) in 72 hours - that was after I changed from VM [XL] to Be. I've never got anything like that with VM. I'm not trying to show off, I'm merely highlighting how limited VM is. I should know: I was with them for years.

@Steve

I wasnt bragging about the amount I had downloaded Steve, just illustrating that I was currently being throttled and my speed was still at the levels I reported in my previous post.

@ Tony

Fair doos. I misread the context of your post.

I can’t remember what I was throttled to when I was with VM, but let’s be honest: 5mb (0.6MB/s) on its own is enough for anyone (54GB in 24 hours); but I do remember being pissed off because my tiny upload rate was managed too – that’s what killed the effectiveness.

However, I was able to download waaaaaay more than 6Gb in 24 hours without the cap kicking in (did you really mean gigabit? 6Gb in a day isn’t much more than dial-up speed [not even double]).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums